It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Accountability Starts Janurary 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Beginning Janurary 1, the FBI is going to start compiling data related to police shootings and other data related to excessive force and injury by policing actions. It's about time.
www.oann.com...
FBI set to collect national data on police use of deadly force in 2019

In an unprecedented move, the FBI announces it will begin collecting data on deadly use of force by law enforcement. CBS News reported Thursday, the agency is set to collect comprehensive data on incidents involving police officers resulting in death or bodily injury. This also includes any situation where officers fire their guns at an individual.

The FBI said the effort will allow law enforcement to identify areas for improvement, but it will not determine whether officers acted lawfully or not. Data will be released twice a year, and will include the age, ethnicity, and sex of all parties involved. Departments can begin submitting reports starting January first 2019.

edit on 23-11-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

Edit: The title may be misleading in that they are going to compile data. Not to actually perform any investigative activities associated with the collection.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
somebody need to police the police.

am sick of hearing we investigated it and found it was justifiable .

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Finally.

Hopefully this will help further weed out the bad apples, top to bottom.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

The title may be misleading in that they are going to compile data

And they're only going to compile data given to them by agencies that choose to participate.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

There was a time when I thought the FBI was the gold standard. Then politics took them over and now any work product from the FBI is suspect and bastardized by politics.

it will not determine whether officers acted lawfully or not

Nope, I'd not expect it to. It's fodder to be used in political debate and partisan activities.

Data will be released twice a year, and will include the age, ethnicity, and sex of all parties involved.

There is the real story. None of those things should ever be a factor in law enforcement's work. The use for it is to justify either singling out of one group over another or to treat one group differently than another. Justice is supposed to be blind for a reason.

edit on 11/23/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

And the Washington Post already tracks all that information anyway, without relying on agencies to give them the info.

Actually I'm not sure if they track the bio-data for the officer/officers involved, but they track it for the people who were killed by law enforcement. Along with a bunch of other stuff.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

The only credible use I can see for the FBI to do this would be to "determine whether officers acted lawfully or not". The one thing apparently they are not planning on using it for.

Politicians need to back away from law enforcement, stick to writing the laws and let law enforcement go about the business of protecting us, which is not a partisan issue. I can see them playing a larger role in determining if individuals in law enforcement are acting within the law.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
FBI set to collect national data on police use of deadly force in 2019

FBI LOVES Entrapment.... expect a few Bad Cops to get off the hook.

edit on 38113830pm302018Fri, 23 Nov 2018 15:38:49 -0600 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

The title may be misleading in that they are going to compile data

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Yup. Political talking points. The one that caught my eye was 'ethnicity' Funny thing though, I dont think their going to like the results.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

That is Not the Only thing that begins on Jan. 1st , 2019 . The Emergency Alert System Now Linked to All Cell Phone Numbers in the U.S. will be used for the First Time in making an Important Announcement about Unsealed Served Indictments ....Stay Tuned.............Happy New Year !

(((+)))
edit on 23-11-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

That is Not the Only thing that begins on Jan. 1st , 2019 . The Emergency Alert System Now Linked to All Cell Phone Numbers in the U.S. will be used for the First Time in making an Important Announcement about Unsealed Served Indictments ....Stay Tuned.............Happy New Year !

(((+)))

Where did you get that information? Q?

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

The Dark/Light Web ....

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The bottom line is that there is no such thing as police accountability.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Sad how these bills(Wa state one, probably others) and what their saying here isn't what it's made out to be.

edit on 25-11-2018 by dreamingawake because: nm

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Good God that's horrible.

This is the reason right here I will never call the cops unless I witness a violent crime. Too often they escalate what should be a routine event and sometimes they will turn it around on you for, I guess, daring to assume they would do their job.

I've met a few smart cops, but a vast majority I've encountered seem to get off on bullying someone they know has no immediate recourse. Those bullies are usually dim-witted as well (or are pretending to be), unfortunately, which just adds to the problem

The guy complaining about the illegally parked van who was then assaulted by an out of uniform cop has the patience of a saint.

You know why those other cops wanted to know where the complainants live? So they can be targeted for harassment by the department.

Absolutely disgusting.

new topics

top topics

join