It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desk chairs at schools - did they cause anyone else back or tailbone problems?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I was thinking today about how uncomfortable the chairs attached to the desks at my K-12 schools were as well as college. I know I wasn't the only one who suffered from back problems after sitting there for almost 2 decades and since then I've used chairs with better support and it has greatly reduced the amount of pain experienced when sitting. IDK if it is a genetic issue or if it might have had to do with also playing sports year round as well as working from at least 12 years old (younger at home). Posture is certainly part of the problem, but towards the end of the day, many students start to slump in their seats, IDK if it is due to the seats being uncomfortable and 4-5 hours later, posture suffers.

Other issues were school buses, with seats that were basically vertical and spending 30-40 mins at the end of the day and 20-30 mins in the morning, all this starts to add up and I wonder how much this comes into play with people developing back issues later on in life.

I found that adding lumbar support, even a little bit, when sitting on these uncomfortable chairs helps a lot. The other issue is many people experience tail bone pain after even a short time in these chairs made of synthetic rock.

note: IDK if everyone else had the same kind of chairs attached to the desks, but ours were made of some molded synthetic rock that had a bottom "seat" part and an oval shaped back rest - all attached by 2 metal support pipes/tubing and usually could only be accessed from the left hand side (bar from seat to the right side of desk to attach the two). There were a couple times were the desks were seperate from the chairs, but both the desk and chairs were made of the same synthetic rock material

These are the types of desks and chairs that are often used. It does say that the seat and desk material are made of a hard "melamine" plastic which IDK if it is different than what was used before, but it seems that the stuff we had was almost like polished granite and it was resistant to graffiti, wouldn't melt and was very heavy (much more than plastic).

These are common desks and chairs that I have seen in K-12 as well as colleges. I'm not sure how many businesses use these as I'm sure they have found it is highly unprofitable for them, to have seriously uncomfortable employees trying to do work. If it wasn't an issue, then we would see businesses use these instead of $300-1,200 chairs for office workers, especially b/c these chairs are 1/12 - 1/50 the price and will last 100+ years!

www.schooloutfitters.com... 1336&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=13062969977&CATCI=pla-89142050897&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29Do0JqKRXZzrRGZYUzf1pcUloTbt-R322GSdoJ1yDBl7WA9YEBkElsaAu3gEA Lw_wcB

www.schooloutfitters.com... 32&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=13062963257&CATCI=pla-96173142257&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29Cs1HFTvItYTEmNyi6LQZRX6qRF1zrA-7TbtGLOP7FlSQeonQokhT0aArSnEALw _wcB

www.schooloutfitters.com... 0566&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=13062970697&CATCI=pla-342658785819&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29Alickcf8yv2Wl3cdKVf9TdOmbMqAc394gb0NTIjOU0Tq7Q2_zbh3YaAtcoE ALw_wcB

www.amazon.com...

www.google.com... desk-and-chair-isolated-on-white-d-293435135.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fezcanvas.com%2Ffindprintart%2Fimage%2F670407769%2F&docid=NaZrMoGHflagRM&tbnid =NOMDjxdKn9q-_M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwilu_LY3OjeAhUpUt8KHXHZBsQQMwi6Aig3MDc..i&w=450&h=470&bih=554&biw=1097&q=school%20desk%20chair%20&ved=0ahUKEwilu_LY3OjeA hUpUt8KHXHZBsQQMwi6Aig3MDc&iact=mrc&uact=8

I know kids are supposed to be very "durable" but if kids develop bad posture during their formative years, it can lead to serious health problems later and it can take (painful) decades to correct the issues if it is even possible. I wonder how many kids suffer from a daily torture of some or all of these issues. For those who haven't ever had back or tailbone issues, they are EXTREMELY painful and distracting and would far surpass anything like ADD and probably even autism in that it saps energy and concentration from the task.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It's only a problem for people with tails. The better-made desks have holes in the back for your tail to slip through. If your school district did not have those type of desks it must be a conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Wow. Hard to believe they get away with charging more than $100 for those pieces of crap.

One of the things I remember causing me much misery at school (other than I hated school in the first place) was those hard ass chairs.

I don't necessarily think they caused long-term damage but they sure as hell were uncomfortable. I do have back problems (bad) now but it didn't really start until I was in my mid-20s. I think I ruined my back carrying heavy stuff (I used to live in a second floor apartment and I'd carry CRT TVs and furniture by myself).

Also, more modern office chairs are more comfortable (for a while) but they're not really that great for your back either. If you sit in them all day you definitely will feel it in a not good kind of way. As much as they may be maligned, recliners don't do anything bad to your back other than encouraging you to stay in them longer.

All the years I sat in recliners I never had problems with my back. My back problems really started around the year 2000, which was right around the time I got my first computer and started sitting in office chairs a lot.

At the very least, office chairs need to recline to take the pressure off your back. They tend to encourage you to sit up straight, which is rumored to be good for your back but actually drives your tailbone down into the chair and puts all of your body weight on a few pressure points. If I sit in an office chair for 5 hours and I'm sitting up perfectly straight (the way they tell you to sit) my tailbone is unbelievably painful when I stand up. This absolutely never happened with recliners.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Anyway, I always thought it probably comes from that old school attitude of beat kids into submission. Everything about school seems to have been designed from the ground up to be intentionally unpleasant. For whatever reason. I mean, really. Do you remember anything about school that wasn't unnecessarily obnoxious?
edit on 22-11-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Those varnished wooden benches in the large university lecture halls were the worst. I could never sit comfortably in any position and would always end up sliding downwards. Plus those places were freezing cold. Our college computer labs had those wooden chairs. Those were so small, the only way to be comfortable was to swing backwards. On more than one occasion, the legs would collapse.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Anyone else see a good argument for playing hooky?

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Variation of table size/height dimensions ... that irritates me
standardize your sh!t

As in a work-place setting, okaay

... as well as old people shoppin' in the evening ....

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

The OP "could" take some radical action
and re-design his own chair
maybe even an auto-configuring-exo-thing thing

... and that's why he needs to bunk off !
and get cuddly with the jugl..
sorry wrong thread ^-^

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Never had issues with those desks.

But they sure were great for cracking my back after P.E.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapTheGinkels
Never had issues with those desks.

But they sure were great for cracking my back after P.E.

The only thing I found amusing about them was they were great for amplifying farts. Especially the ones with the little cubby under the chair for books and stuff. It kind of made a resonance chamber.
edit on 22-11-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

No I loved those things.
They were great for cracking your back.

I wonder how much they go for? I might have to get myself one.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders
Noooohh
the SBD ?
And that was YOU !

Duuuude

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Those wooden seats sure could amplify the sound of a back hole pressure relief. The only time they were uncomfortable was right after getting licks from the principle.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Aye weird weans that are lucky to have avoided natural selection really.

The type that got kept in at playtime coz of the weather and were possibly allergic to oxygen.

edit on 22-11-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Nope. These just keep getting better and better.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I wouldn’t mind some extra cash for Xmas so sure why not.

The uncomfortable unergonomic chairs I was forced to endure during my years of captivity in school have led to severe physical and emotional pain since the age of 13.
I don’t tell my story for myself as it’s too late for me but I hope the suffering I’ve endured will convince the government to make a positive change and prevent this from happening to any other innocent students.

Let me know when we win the case and I can expect my cheque

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Yeah, I think everyone in K-12 should get a lazy-boy recliner, and the teacher should have to project the lessons on the ceiling instead of the wall! I mean, after all..your neck! And, they should have these people who rove around the classroom and massage / pedicure your feet while you're learning.

When class is over, I think they should have these little electric carts which come around and pick you up and take you to your next class too. I mean, it's just so not fair to have to walk on your freshly pedicured feet to your next class. And, at gym class they should have these lifts that lift you up so you can dunk the basketball...all that jumping is just murder on your knees, those bastages!

Now that you mention it, I think we should all start a class action lawsuit against schools for all the damage they did to us, the bastages, and make them pay us "reparations"!! Yeah, that's the ticket!

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I assumed they had those real uncomfortable chairs in school to condition us to be afraid of having to stay after school.

I didn't get any tailbone problems from those crappy wood school chairs in the sixties. I just had a sore butt if I sat too long.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

The seating at every educational establishment I have ever attended, was, from kindergarten to college age, utterly appalling.

The small chairs and desks in primary school were far too small. I could not get my knees under the desks, and the chairs were so small, that when sat down in those chairs, my knees would be up around my damned ears! So, I had to lean over because the desk was too small to get my legs under, and I had to navigate my arms around my knees to do any actual work. This is not quite relevant to the specific subject matter, but our primary school had what it jokingly referred to, as a swimming pool. I am sure smaller individuals than I was, could have swum perfectly well in it. But every time I tried to do a breast stroke, my knees would bash off the bottom of the pool. Every time I would do a front crawl, my feet would kick off the bottom, hurting my toes and putting me off getting in the pool at all. For me, that thing was barely more than a paddling pool. I could kneel on the bottom of it, and have everything from the waist upward poking out of the water, so for me it was pretty damned close to unusable.

In secondary school, things were not that much better, although the furniture was at least made for people my size. Of course, it was all poorly built, badly designed, and did TERRIBLE things to my back. The seats were often angled just a little toward the back, which meant that if you needed to lean forward to get at your work properly, you were having to fight that angle, which lead to an awful lot of strain in the back and the hips, and dead legs if you weren't careful. The tables were somewhat less terrible, being as they were the correct height to work on.

Often, the chairs, which featured tubular steel frames, with plastic seats and backs, would suffer some manner of structural integrity failure, from being dropped, thrown, or used as a bludgeon. This meant that occasionally you would sit down, and have your buttocks pinched between two halves of a broken seat, or have a shard of plastic from where a piece of the seat had just sheared right off, poke you uncomfortably in the crotch.

The only class rooms I have ever been in, where I was physically comfortable enough to get anything meaningful done, was science class rooms. Both my secondary school, and the college I went to afterward, in order to get my basic qualifications after the clusterbang that was my secondary education failed to prepare me to do so, had science blocks with proper lab benches made of thick wood, with sinks and gas taps and electrical outlets, all of which were built BIG, and tall. This meant that the chairs had to be about the height of the sort of chair you would see at a traditional pub or bar, the kind you don't sit down onto, the sort you just shuffle onto sideways and rest your arse on.

They had no angle at all, simple wood and steel construction, and were PERFECT in terms of height relative to the benches, making getting things done far more comfortable. But, that's about it. Every other piece of furniture, from kindergarten to college was an absolute bloody disaster waiting to happen, either broken from improper use, or designed to damage the people using them.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Speaking of appalling seating conditions. Anyone ever had to sit in a hospital waiting room for more than an hour or so? My god. You're paying these people a hundred dollars an hour and they give you the most uncomfortable chair known to mankind and make you sit in it All. Day. Long.

I sat there all day for a few days when my mom wasn't well and my tailbone was in agony for days. They know people are going to be sitting there for ages but they give you chairs that are designed to be tolerable for about 15 minutes.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join