It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump stands up for Saudi Arabia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yesterday President Trump defied the conclusions of the CIA and instead declared unwavering support for Saudi Arabia. This comes only days after the CIA concluded that the murder of US journalist and resident Jamal Khashoggi was brutally murdered at the order of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. [1] The CIA has believed for weeks that the Crown Prince was culpable in Jamal Khasoggi’s murder but only recently had enough evidence to conclude that he directed the murder. [2] These findings have been passed along to both Congress and the Trump administration.

One of the reasons that the CIA now concludes the murder was ordered by Prince Mohammed is due to new intercepted phone communications between a member of the ‘kill team’ and an aide to Prince Mohammed. The member of the kill team told the aide to Prince Mohammed “tell your boss” that the “the deed was done.”[3]

“A phone call like that is about as close to a smoking gun as you are going to get,” said Bruce O. Riedel, a former C.I.A. officer now at the Brookings Institution. “It is pretty incriminating evidence.”

However, even with this particular evidence and all the other evidence collected by the CIA Trump decided to go his own way and discount the findings of the CIA.

Representatives of Saudi Arabia say that Jamal Khashoggi was an “enemy of the state” and a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, but my decision is in no way based on that – this is an unacceptable and horrible crime. King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi. Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!

That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi. In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They have been a great ally in our very important fight against Iran. The United States intends to remain a steadfast partner of Saudi Arabia to ensure the interests of our country, Israel and all other partners in the region. It is our paramount goal to fully eliminate the threat of terrorism throughout the world!

In a statement reminiscent of his joint press conference with Putin, Trump says the Crown Prince told him he didn’t do it so that settles it. In an attempt to discredit the CIA conclusion that the Crown Prince ordered the murder he states “Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!”[4]

So with all that said, the question is why would Trump side with a foreign government over the counseling of the American Intelligence agencies? By Ignoring the findings of the CIA Trump made it clear that no matter how wrong the murder of Khashoggi, no matter where the true responsibility lies, he would NOT stand up to Saudi Arabia or Crown Prince Mohammad. In effect, Trump will not risk Saudi Arabia’s money, oil and help in the middle east to do the morally right thing. The fact that Trump couldn’t muster even a modest rebuke to the Crown Prince puts other journalists in danger across the globe. If a journalist writes a story that a regime doesn’t like, that regime will feel emboldened that if they kill said journalist, the US will not retaliate.

The President of the United States even directly repeated slanders that Saudi Arabia used to justify the killing of Khashoggi, that he was an “enemy of the state”. Trump went on to say that this didn’t factor into his decision, but why even repeat a lie? Why even put that into a Presidential statement?

Also, Trump’s claims of tens of billions of dollars in arms sales and investments are vastly overblown. As is the claim of hundreds of thousands jobs being at stake.[5]

This will not be the last we hear about this case because there is bi-partisan support for sanctions against Saudi Arabia.[6] Shortly after Trump’s statement above Senator Lindsey Graham issued a rebuke to Trump stating:[7]

I firmly believe there will be strong bipartisan support for serious sanctions against Saudi Arabia, including appropriate members of the royal family, for this barbaric act which defied all civilized norms

Trump is on an island on this issue. Democrats, Republicans and the Intelligence agencies believe that there should be consequences for this murder, but not Trump. So that makes you ask why? Why would Trump stand with Saudi Arabia? It’s impossible to know what is going through Trumps head but by examining Trump’s past, it is probably because of money. Trump probably has some personal deals with the Saudi’s and he intends to leverage this show of support for private gain. Only time will tell for sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually find out Trump had some off the books deals with the crown prince.

[1] C.I.A. Concludes That Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi Killed
[2] U.S. Spy Agencies Are Increasingly Convinced of Saudi Prince’s Ties to Journalist’s Disappearance
[3] ‘Tell Your Boss’: Recording Is Seen to Link Saudi Crown Prince More Strongly to Khashoggi Killing
[4] Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia
[5] Donald Trump touts nonexistent $450 billion in Saudi orders and 1 million jobs
[6] Bipartisan Chorus Calls for Punishing Saudis as Trump Accuses Them of ‘Deception’
[7] Graham Statement on Saudi Arabia

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Everyone who calls for sanctioning Saudi Arabia must have a very short memory and not recall the wrongs that they have committed. Some far worse than killing a single human being.

The positives to America will outweigh the negative hate. We're used to that. Besides, when someone agrees with you what does it get you? Nothing!
edit on 11/21/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Trump is just an Asshole.
That's all there is too it and like minded assholes support him and everything he does.

Trump is also on Twitter thanking Saudi Arabia for the lower gas prices.

Just a dick supported by dicks

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It's real politik. It's true that Iran has bad intentions and will take anything we leave alone.

There's no "good guys" here so what are the realities? It's as Trump has said.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The yuuugest mistake i see is trump acting as if bin salmon is saudi arabia. He is not the whole country and not doing business with salmon is not the same as cutting all ties with saudi. I doubt that eric prince,kushner and bolton wants any other leader in saudi arabia. So there is that.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Blood for oil unless it is your blood.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
In a perfect world we would have done away with this relationship decades ago, but republicans and democrats have cuddled with that family repeatedly over the years.

If it just now bothers you, you might be a partisan hack.

Lastly please note I did not vote for trump and wont in the future.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think Graham got it right on this one.

"I think he's done a lot of damage to the relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia," Graham told NBC's "Meet the Press." "And I have no intention of working with him ever again."

Graham said he was certain that Crown Prince Mohammed ordered the death of Jamal Khashoggi, a dissident Saudi journalist and U.S. resident. "I'm going to do whatever I can to place blame where I believe it lies," the senator added.

"I'm gonna put it at the feet of the crown prince, who has been a destructive force in the Mideast."

“It is not in our national security interests to look the other way when it comes to the brutal murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi,” Graham said in a statement released late Tuesday afternoon.

The South Carolina Republican, who is set to become chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee in January, warned that Trump’s tolerant stance toward Saudi Arabia threatened to risk the nation’s role as a moral leader.

“I fully realize we have to deal with bad actors and imperfect situations on the international stage," Graham said. "However, when we lose our moral voice, we lose our strongest asset.”

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Because crude is worth $$$ and not blood, just Trump displaying his true nature

edit on -216002018-11-21T11:43:28-06:000000002830201828112018Wed, 21 Nov 2018 11:43:28 -0600 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Terrible decision. We should have cut ties with Saudi Arabia a long time ago. I'd gladly pay a little more at the pump than be in bed with those savages.

This may be the last straw for me. Not voting Trump in 2020.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Geopolitics.

I wouldn't trash billion dollar deals and alliances from a man I barely even heard about, who isn't even an American citizen.

Cold hard truths and realities.

We all may not like it, but that isn't how the world operates, yet at least.

Every politician, to include Dims deal in Saudi Money.

Our Petro dollar is linked to them, even if the deal barely matters anymore.

Im essence, who cares and what impacts does it have on your personal life? None.

Garbage thread in my personal opinion.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Putin murders journalists, poisons his critics on foreign soil and Trump shrugs and says "We aren't so good either". Kim Jong Un starves, tortures and brutally murders his people, Trumps says "He's a smart cookie. We fell in love". Duarte advocates for murder and rape of his citizens and Trump enjoys a loves song from him during a banquet meal. Saudi Royalty murders a journalist critical of their policies, and Trump thanks them for lowering our gas prices, while considering turning an exiled human rights advocate and witness over to Erdogan in exchange for not telling the world what Trump and Kushner knew about Khashoggi's murder.

MAGA!

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
In a perfect world we would have done away with this relationship decades ago, but republicans and democrats have cuddled with that family repeatedly over the years.

If it just now bothers you, you might be a partisan hack.

Lastly please note I did not vote for trump and wont in the future.

You hit the nail on the head. Our politicians both Democrats and Republicans have been completely happy taking money from the Saudi's for years. This even though they have a horrible record on human rights.

As a country we have been completely happy to sale Saudi Arabia billions in arms. But now that they are using those arms to attack civilians, now we have a problem with it.

The problem of the US being too close to Saudi Arabia is not of Donald Trump's making. He is only guilty for what he lets them get away with while he is the President.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

They have been a great ally in our very important fight against Iran. The United States intends to remain a steadfast partner of Saudi Arabia to ensure the interests of our country, Israel and all other partners in the region.

Right there it is.

All about Iran. Need proof? Next dictated sentence includes “Israel”.

Oil money and a$$ backwards religious dogma makes for interesting bed partners. And Saudi Arabia is one a$$ backwards country.

Trump is playing good cop, Graham playing bad cop.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
We have unfortunately been in bed with Saudi Arabia for years.
I would have no issue with breaking that tradition

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
As others have said , we should have dropped S.A. A long time ago.

I’m thinking Trump likes to go against US intelligence for a few reasons.. but probably mostly so when they come after him he can say “look Iv told you they are shady”

It’s just funny that now the pressure is on Trump to hardline the Saudis when the last 2 (at least) presidents should have done it all a long time ago.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Was there ever any doubt the Russian asset would? Sad. a reply to: BlackJackal

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It also needs to be noted that Khashoggi was critical of Trump.

While this will not be popular amongst the Trump faithful on ATS, I feel Trump is not behaving like a president but a narcissistic tyrant.

He refutes evidence he does not like, media that is critical of him(even when deserved) he calls fake or even the enemy. His supporters behave like cult leaders and justify his actions or turn a blind eye to them.

I was really hoping Trump would show some courage on this one but he has not. He has shown he is a coward and will bow down to the Saudi's.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Trump will not risk Saudi Arabia’s money, oil and help in the middle east to do the morally right thing.

I was tentative to view Trump's decision in a favorable light, but now that I know you'd prefer to risk all of the above just so you can virtue-signal how moral you are, makes me feel a whole lot better about it.

edit on 21-11-2018 by Propagandalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Trump is just an Asshole.
That's all there is too it and like minded assholes support him and everything he does.

Trump is also on Twitter thanking Saudi Arabia for the lower gas prices.

Just a dick supported by dicks

*to

If you're going to criticize us and call us assholes and your favorite midnight snack just for supporting Trump, try not to leave yourself open to ridicule. K?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join