It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big heavyweight fight coming up

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Well, it went the distance.

That result though... What utter garbage. Sure, Wilder knocked down Fury twice. That gets him two rounds out of twelve. Being generous, you could give him a third. That leaves the rest of those nine remaining rounds going to Fury, and lets not forget that even in the rounds where he hit the floor, Fury boxed Wilders face off. Look at Wilder post fight, and look at Fury post fight. Sure, Fury had some abrasions to his face, but Wilders eye is all puffed up, his lips are fatter than they were at the beginning of the fight. Fury looks like he lost an argument with a belt sander, but he looks like a man who won a boxing match, and that is because in every way except on the scorecards of apparently deluded judges, he did win a fight.

He knows it, Wilder knows it, the judges knew it. Utter nonsense.

Its such a shame too, because Fury made that fight worth the watching, and I have NEVER seen him make a fight interesting, especially since his usual methodology is to make things boring. But against a power puncher, the fact that he gave Wilder a shot at putting him away and shrugged it off, while out moving, out boxing and out scoring him in any legitimate sense, made that fight an absolute pearl to watch. Its easy to see why AJ does not want to take a fight in the US, if this scoring is anything to go by. It does the sport no good to have fights draw when there is a clear winner, if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
That result though... What utter garbage. Sure, Wilder knocked down Fury twice. That gets him two rounds out of twelve. Being generous, you could give him a third. That leaves the rest of those nine remaining rounds going to Fury, and lets not forget that even in the rounds where he hit the floor, Fury boxed Wilders face off. Look at Wilder post fight, and look at Fury post fight. Sure, Fury had some abrasions to his face, but Wilders eye is all puffed up, his lips are fatter than they were at the beginning of the fight. Fury looks like he lost an argument with a belt sander, but he looks like a man who won a boxing match, and that is because in every way except on the scorecards of apparently deluded judges, he did win a fight.

Totally agree.
Even the middle column of the scorecard was added up incorrectly at the end.
These judges need to go back to school!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Corruption in the USA seems to have permeated every single part of their society. If AJ is refusing to fight there then he is smart. Better to fight where there is at least a chance of fairness. The judging for Fury and Wilder was a disgrace. It's as bad as the worst of the notorious cheating in the Olympic boxing in 1988 Seoul.

AJ and Wilder would be an interesting fight - Wilder is obviously easy to hit, but then AJ is easier to hit than Fury. After the Fury/Widler fight, I am beginning to think Fury IS actually the best of all of them. I can see AJ having exactly the same issue Wilder did when trying to hit Fury + AJ (whilst he has a big punch) is not as big a puncher as Wilder. Could he knock Fury out even if he did land?

it's nice to have some interest in the heavyweight division - it's just a shame that it had to be ruined by a corrupt USA.

edit on 3/12/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Not sure i agree to be honest.

Fury totally outboxed Wilder, that is beyond doubt. And if it went the distance, he should have won easily on points. However, it is also not in dispute that Fury got a very long count - easily 11 to 12 seconds. Therefore, strictly speaking, it shouldn't have gone to the judges - it should have been Wilder by KO.

Given the above, a draw is probably right.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

it's nice to have some interest in the heavyweight division - it's just a shame that it had to be ruined by a corrupt USA.

Personally, i think New York and Nevada will be very pleased with the Mexican judge! Another fight in California? No thanks!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

I keep hearing about this long count... first of all, that version of events does not match the round clock that was running during the fight, and it does not take into account that Wilder was the one responsible for the appearance of a long count. He was tardy getting himself to the farthest neutral corner of the ring, and if you study the rules of the sport, the count either stops if the opponent does not stay in that corner, or will not begin until they arrive there.

The referee is beholden to the rules and regs of the sport he is officiating. If only those running the scorecards had been as fastidious!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Well?
What'd you think, sir?

I'm OK with the draw. Fury clearly did the better work in most rounds, I think.
I stopped scoring the fight after the 4th round or so and just enjoyed the fight.

At the end of the day, I'm glad that Wilder didn't have to give up his belt to a man that he dropped twice.
That being said, I am really impressed with Fury. I would heavily favor him in a rematch.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I like Deontay Wilder

However, WTF was that #?

Boxing is corrupt AF.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

... ruined by a corrupt USA.

Again, it was a Mexican judge that scored the fight for Wilder.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Here is what I think.

Wilder won two rounds of that fight, the ones he put Fury down in. The rest of the time he hit air and glanced off a brilliant defence, while being picked apart like a roast chicken surrounded by hungry people with no table manners. Even in the rounds where Fury wound up on the canvas, he came back and stunned Wilder, not just by standing up after that killshot punch, but by boxing his face off after taking that killshot punch. Yes, a knockdown scored him a ten eight... well done and all that. But given that the rounds he managed that in were still rounds Fury outboxed him in, and the fact that there are 12 rounds in a bout, not just the ones in which Fury went down, the score should have been two rounds to Wilder, ten to Fury. If we are being super generous, three for Wilder, nine for Fury.

Simply put, the judges watched a different boxing match to the rest of the world, in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

That doesn't matter.
The fight was in the US. Mexicans take bribes too.
The nationality of the judge is irrelevant.
The corruption is driven by the institution.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I think in the early round, Tyson tried to 'Sugar Ray' his way to winning them.
Didn't do much until the end of the round, where he came with flurries w/ a little showboating.
I can see a couple of those early rounds going to Wilder.
The Mexican judges scorecard was horrendous, no doubt.
I can still see Wilder winning a couple early ones, justifying the draw.

End of the day, neither one 'deserved' to loose.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Its true that neither deserved to loose, but one of them deserved to win, and it was not the man who currently holds the belt.

And you can SEE it in Wilders face in the presser that he KNOWS it!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Yes.
Rules are rules and by the rules, in my opinion, Fury won enough rounds to overcome the two knockdowns.
Still, very hard to take a mans belt after he knocks you down twice.
All in all, I'm still buzzing from a fantastic night.
The HW division is as exciting as it has been in 10 years, Adonis Stevenson (Get well soon) is no longer holding a LHW title hostage.

Boxing is at a very good place right now, despite its best efforts to step on it's own toes EVERY major event.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Agreed.

The heavy weight division has not been this exciting, in my opinion, since the days of Mike Tyson and the like.

However, the result of this fight, and others before it, have called into very serious question, the reputability of the sport in general. While I have to give an awful lot of respect to the two pugilists involved in this one, I can also say that I understand why a great many people have said that based on this result and others, they will be ceasing their consumption of pay per view events and ceasing to financially support the boxing industry in any way. Its a decision I support. While the in ring action has indeed been top notch and very exciting as regards the potential for amazing clashes, the organisations involved with boxing, seem to be trying to turn it into a joke on a par with the WWE, where regardless of what happens in the ring, theres a script and the officials will do whatever they have to in order to follow it, no matter how incongruous and obvious it may be.

Starving them of cash by refusing to engage with them any longer, refusing to bet on fights, refusing to spend a single penny on viewing the fights, and so on, seems to be the most effective strategy. Those running Showtime for certain, need to be forced into bankruptcy over this, and I don't mean the sort of soft and windy sort of bankruptcy that happens in the states, I mean harsh, destitute, living on the streets and cooking in an old bean tin kind of bankruptcy. There HAVE to be consequences for this sort of unsporting behaviour, on the part of promotions and officials.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I've been saying for awhile, along with Teddy Atlas and others, that there needs to be a single over-seeing entity to keep the various alphabet sanctioning bodies from running amuck. Similar to the UFC.
No more step aside money for mandatories, no more whining and dining judges and refs, ect.

I have also been saying that there needs to be an uneven number of rounds fought, at least in Championship fights.
Two more judges as well.
Give me a 13-round fight, with 5 judges. Best score for each fighter is tossed and the other three are used.
Just these two simple things have the potential to cut down on draws, and at least make people pay more than one judge off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join