It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating the sun - could humans ever photosynthesize like plants?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I saw this question today in a handyman's magazine, while waiting at the till.

Their answer: Yes, but it would only provide for about 20 percent of the energy we need to stay alive.

However, others disagree.

With a bit of manipulation we could.

And imagine we could - just stand in the sun like trees in the day, and boogie all night.

No more debates about eating meat or plants, and which diet kills everything faster.

I think it's a great idea, and as a species it should be our goal.
motherboard.vice.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

It's an interesting concept. I could see people developing cloud weapons because we're always warring. In the end, I just enjoy bacon too much.
edit on 20-11-2018 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Ever heard of breatharians?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I don't know man. The terlet is where I get most of my reading done. I don't want to give that up.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I'm sure genetic engineering could make all kinds of weird things happen and probably eventually make most of this wage slavery BS we've got going on a thing of the past. Maybe that's why it will never happen.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I've seen this movie......Doesn't end well for anyone.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
When it is warm outside, not hot, I actually do not eat much. In the fall and winter there is less heat and sun and I need to eat much more. I think in the summer, we can get energy from just drinking water and beer. Blueberry plants love beer.
edit on 20-11-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart
Oh wow. I actually never heard of them before. Finally learned something new on ATS, that has not happened for many moons, and a great many and much more of a posts and threads since.

But after the breatharian video? Did the one with the sexercise one with the gal and guy talking about it come on? Now that to is pretty funny, especially if you look close to the creases in between the guys brows, from all his frowning it forms a big ol "W" right between his eyebrows.

All I can say is... What?

As for the topic of this thread. Ya, sure. Should not be to hard to modify humans or other lifeforms to photosynthesis there proteins. But that would make this place a bit to green me thinks.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I have always wanted to be a tree. But that was another time and another place (cue smoke rings and elves here) long long ago when men were men and trees were trees and gods all seemed to know what the hell they were doing. It would be my dream job

edit on 21-11-2018 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
It's an interesting idea, but I cannot help thinking that if was viable then evolution would have produced a few examples of complex organisms using photosynthesis.

For humans to do it, it would require some significant physiological changes and I'm not sure that the changes required would be possible.

EDIT to add...

For example, the skin would need to change. The skin is the largest organ of the body and already serves a multiplicity of roles, including regulating the body temperature and so on. To make the body photosynthesis the skin would need to change and that would change its role. I cannot see that it would work.

Sticking a solar panel on our heads and chucking a few wires into the body would be easier.

edit on 21/11/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   
In a way, we do run on photosynthesis, at least in a tertiary way. If there were no plants for livestock to graze on, we couldn't eat the livestock. Mushrooms grow from wood by-products, which wouldn't work without photosynthesis from trees. Without scavengers nothing could decay. Predators eat vulnerable prey, leaving more food for healthy prey, which in turn strengthens the overall species. Everything fits in the overall ecosystem.

In my opinion, there is no debate on eating meat or plants. We'll continue eating both. We need to survive, and if I had to stand in the sun for hours a day, I wouldn't get any work done. I wouldn't be able to afford shelter, etc.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   

There is a book called 'Mans Higher Consciousness' that I have read that says that the early human lived of cosmic rays and breath........ basically humans were free and were enslaved by food.
The book is on Amazon. There is a youtube vid about it called 'mans higher conscoiusness - hilton hotema 1952'.
edit on 21-11-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

We do photosynthisize in a lesser way. The radiation from the sun helps our protons produce vitaman c & d & others. Without the sun & slight photosynthises we do we would not survive & be very unhealthy like most nowadays who spend time inside to much. Photosynthises is key to not having growth abnomqlities above other things.. I am sure there is a way to create a solar powered electronic being, we have already almost accomplished this with huminoid robots already. We can not live in space without manipulating our genome structure, everyone has been doing this for years though with radiation, processed foods, factory smoke etc. We are slowly transitioning our bodies to space because we can not exactly eat & drink water like we do now traveling galaxies & dumping our poop on planets.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Why wouldn't we just have evolved that way to begin with? Or evolved to drink salt water, the most abundant resource on the planet.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
There are people already looking into this. Melanin is supposedly capable of absorbing 99.9% of incoming solar radiation, and this team of researchers claims this energy can be used to split water into H2 and O2 gas - the fuel necessary for conventional metabolic production of ATP.

This would explain the observed connection between mitochondria (energy creating organelle) and melanosomes (melanin-containing organelles)

Source

top topics

join