It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington D.C. Council votes to decriminalize Metro fare evasion-Theft not a criminal offence??.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
From a monetary standpoint, this makes sense. Courts (public defenders, prosecutors, judges) will not be blocked up from petty misdemeanor charges, jails will be less blocked up, police officers are more likely to give out $50 citations instead of spending a lot of time taking in offenders.

Someone said here citations are unenforceable which is false. In fact, this may be more insidious. Generally, police are not going to come looking for anyone over a citation, but if those citations pile up to a certain monetary limit the charges will be bumped up and the courts are more likely to prosecute fully which will make it harder for repeat offenders.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
I've lived in DC metro area for over a year now. I've taken the metro damn near every day to and from work. Anyone who
lives here and takes metro will see fare jumpers daily. Know how many ive seen that werent black? I could count them on one hand. its mostly due to the racial percentage of black to non-black citizens in the DC area. Yes there are non-black areas, but they are not prevalent.

BTW, it costs me about 10-12$ a day to take the bus from my house to the metro, the metro to L'enfant plaza in downtown, then at the end of the day doing the reverse. I only live 8 miles from work. The prices here are outrageous. I'd love to pay 2.75 for a metro ride!

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Theft is theft . What if i stole aka theft everything that is under 5 .00 in your entire house over the course of 6 months that wouldn't be a criminal issue for you?

Righting the ship?? what does that even mean? explain that logic in detail id like to know how you came to this conclusion.

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: kingofyo1

How many times have you seen cops take in fare jumpers and do they sometimes look the other way?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It's not hard to predict what will happen: the number of fare jumpers will skyrocket, while the amount of money the Metro brings in will plummet. Service and maintenance will suffer as a result.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

That entirely depends on how law enforcement go about it.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Its called Anarchy when you decide what laws you will obey.
Everyone on here thats cool with this, let everyone come steal
what you produce and not pay for it. See how you feel then.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure about the the system there but here we have a private transit system, with public legislation making a bunch of things illegal on transit, enforced by a private police company that is accountable to nobody. You also give up your basic rights for only this one private company if you're on their premises.

I don't agree with fare evasion....but I strongly disagree with a private company having it's own special legislation and private police force to enforce it. It made sense 15-20 years ago when the transit system was actually a public service but after being privatized I see no reason why they should have special legislation just for them. Other private companies don't get this.

On another funny note, the transit company posted their savings by stopping fair evasion after they increased police presence by about 200 officers. After doing a bit of math, the savings weren't even enough to pay one of those officer's wages for a year and then the fares increased about a month after that. From what I can tell enforcing fare evasion ends up costing more than the fare evasion itself does.
edit on 20/11/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: JAGStorm

Sorry, can't do that. Asians are a protected class and it would be racist to charge the Asians more. Only the European-Americans are NOT a protected class unless they're gay or trans, in which case they gay/trans should get to ride for free as well.

Not according to Harvard

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

True, but doubtless Harvard will be punished for its crimes against humanity. I can't find it at the moment but there's an ordering of groups based on where they fit on the basis of their victim status. Asians are way down on that list, but still above European-Americans who are of course, dead last.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You can read all about the Progressive Pyramid of victimhood at:
www.tabletmag.com...

Its rather complicated and you'll learn about truly important principles like "intersectionality". The Pyramid seems rather fluid but generally speaking:

The discussion of vital issues today has been reduced to a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, in which the validity of one’s argument is determined not by the strength of your reasoning but by the relative worth of the immutable qualities you bring to the table, be it skin color, sexual orientation, or genitalia (or, in the case of pre-operative transsexuals, wished-for genitalia). In the game of Race, Gender, Sexuality, black beats white, woman beats man, trans beats cisgender, and gay (or, preferably, “queer”) beats straight. *** In recent years, as the liberal imagination has grown to embrace new victim groups, supplementary categorical rules have been added to this list: Trans beats gay and Muslim beats black.

Oddly enough, Asians were never discussed which may mean you are right and they should be charged more to ride the Metro, just not as much as evil European-Americans, especially cis gendered white males.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Oddly enough, Asians were never discussed which may mean you are right and they should be charged more to ride the Metro, just not as much as evil European-Americans, especially cis gendered white males.

I'm both Asian and White, so for me it is only 75% more

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

??? In what world does it make sense to legalize theft?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Bwahahahah,
Good one!

Hey, if Elizabeth Warren can be a Native American, I'm sure I got some of that in there somewhere.

Trouble is..........I'd never set foot in DC..........I'm allergic to the smell of sulfur.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

??? In what world does it make sense to legalize theft?

decriminalizing, isn't the same as legalizing.

For example, its illegal to go a few clicks over the speed limit... but its also not a criminal offence.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

If I took the Metro from the station closest to me (which is one of the farthest out) to Metro Center it would cost $6.00 during peak times.

The Op quetes the Metro as saying/estimating losses up tp 25 million dollars a year from this... The math says that would require like 11,415 people not paying every day.... Does that seem possible?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What you talkin' about Willis?

edit on 20-11-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

It is not worth the momey it takes to prosecute small thefts like that.

What? Spend 10k to jail a turnstyle jumper?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Here's a good solution:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

Shot the fare jumpers in the knee.

After the first dozen or so jumpers, people will get the hint and start paying.

That way the tax-payers are footing the bill.

Or walk. Drive that LPC!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join