It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University bans capital letters to avoid upsetting students

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

A very ominous warning, from Yuri Bezmenov, indeed.

He mentioned something about a 'worldwide Communist conspiracy'.

Since communism is no longer the official government in Russia, and the subversion appears to be ongoing: one may wonder who is continuing the operation?

Deep-state Russians, who never really cared what type of government appears on the front of the store?
Other communist powers like China?
TPTB: whom don't care about nations, borders, nor governments, nor Communism for that matter?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
QUEUE THE "I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE" MEMES.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

Your source linked to the clapping ban and compared the memo to that.

You didn't give any proof supporting banning of capitals. You gave me a name, which I said there was no names stating capitals were banned. The name you gave me did not explicitly state capitals were banned. Her quote, which is not the memo, states it is best practice not to write in all capitals -completely correct I agree - for the purpose of clear communication and consistent style.

There has been no research done:

Show me the memo

Do not show me out of context quotes with no attributable source - that's what all these articles show.

Your named quote, as stated above, does nothing to prove ANYTHING about anxiety of capitals and the reason for banning them being not to scare students.

The reason is for professional consistency of communication.

Even the University's Twitter states it is nonsense fake news

twitter.com...

Yes, i was just looking at their twitter page myself, and what they say is that the names, the qoutes etc. i gave you, in respond to youre claim that their was no names, sources, qoutes etc. are TRUE!!!

You didnt say

You didn't give any proof supporting banning of capitals. You gave me a name, which I said there was no names stating capitals were banned. The name you gave me did not explicitly state capitals were banned.

But you did say

No story has any named quotes.
No story has any sourced quotes.
No story shows evidence.
All links are tabloid.

They didnt ban it, but they DID advice their teachers NOT to use all capital letters

Their twitter page clearly state that the memo qouted in the press is "guidance from a course leader to academic staff"

So the story has names
It has sourced qoutes
It have evidence

Which you all stated was NOT true!!!

So they dont directly BAN them from using all capital letters, but their guidelines tell them NOT to...

Like i said earlier, i agree with you that the tabloids are blowing this thing up.

I replied to youre statements, that none of this is true, and i gave you proof that youre where wrong, and that ATS members do make research.
Like it or not
edit on 20 11 2018 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
If you want to make their head explode, ask to see their ID. All capitals there.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicAwakening
If you want to make their head explode, ask to see their ID. All capitals there.

And, heaven forbid they consider a career in public service or technology. With the number of capitalized acronyms in those sectors, they might just kill themselves.

Poor little sheltered flakes, afraid of a big bad letter.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Our snowflake generation:

Southampton university Student Union Leader Resigns in WW1 mural Row

I despair, I truly do. At least she got her comeuppance.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying....

But the names and quotes are completely out of context. There is no evidence to stand up to scrutiny... Where is the actual memo.

The quotes of 'fear', 'anxiety' have no names attributed to them.

The quote with the name attributed to it does not back up the premise of the thread or the 'story'.

The correct headline and story should be:

University Implements Policy to Ensure Consistent Standards of Communication Inline with Requirements of English Grammar

Today a University has sent a memo to staff to ensure they are using the same approach when communicating with students. The agreed approach is inline with the English language rules and advises against using all capitals, for example when issuing instruction to student eg: "DON'T" is discouraged in favour of 'don't".

So the names, the quotes, the story... it's all fake news. And if we all researched harder we would understand that this only serves to divide the populace even further.

However, throughout this, I do commend you on not rising to my churlish attitude.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Spoil-sport. You, and your facts, and context.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Just

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

I understand what you are saying....

But the names and quotes are completely out of context. There is no evidence to stand up to scrutiny... Where is the actual memo.

The quotes of 'fear', 'anxiety' have no names attributed to them.

The quote with the name attributed to it does not back up the premise of the thread or the 'story'.

The correct headline and story should be:

University Implements Policy to Ensure Consistent Standards of Communication Inline with Requirements of English Grammar

Today a University has sent a memo to staff to ensure they are using the same approach when communicating with students. The agreed approach is inline with the English language rules and advises against using all capitals, for example when issuing instruction to student eg: "DON'T" is discouraged in favour of 'don't".

So the names, the quotes, the story... it's all fake news. And if we all researched harder we would understand that this only serves to divide the populace even further.

However, throughout this, I do commend you on not rising to my churlish attitude.

I couldnt agree more, they should have told the story like it was.
But the sad part is that the MSM is also becoming more and more like the tabloids. It is all about how much money they can make, not telling the truth.

The good think about our little discussion, is that it made both of us, i think, do a lot of research, and we found the truth burried in all the trash pretty fast.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
OK, but surely we can all be outraged by the Southampton University thing? It's political correctness gone mad, I tell you.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I'll drink to that. I may even wear my Hitler costume, on campus, whilst smoking a cigarette.

Actually that's not possible... I was banned from my city's university campus in 2007. I went back for a science event last year and obviously nobody recognised me, but I still felt rebellious.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
My university had small kitchenettes with a sink, kettle, microwave, and coffee maker. They were also used to place the laser printers/photocopiers because of the fume risk. There was a large sign "DO NOT REFILL THE TONER WITH COFFEE!!!" and "DO NOT REFILL THE COFFEE MACHINE WITH TONER!!!"

People were that daft.

In the days of Usenet, people would send messages in uppercase because they wanted to sound as if they were shouting very loudly. But there were some users who refused to update their old-fashioned mainframe terminals that only did upper case. They just sounded as if they had a hearing problem.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Often with outlandish thread titles like this I click on just to see how some ''regular'' motive or practice has been blown out of proportion to make the headline sensationalist. This is one I did not have to work out for myself due to your diligence. Thank you fourteenthousandtwohundredsixtythree.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Here's a valid source talking about using red pens to grade papers. As in, BANNED.

School Bans Red Ink Because It's "Mean"

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Two points on that one. The woman involved made an apology and readily agreed to step down. She said she had acted impulsively from having been misinformed on the subject. Not the actions of political madness gone mad.

LIkewise, there were 21.000 signatures on a petition for her resignation. Again not indicative of a massive explosion of political correctness. I could find no information on the petition to defend her position. Likely this is because there was none.

So if anything, the bias of any political correctness in this case swings in the opposite direction with the vast majority of people condemning her for her remarks.

Maybe.

In any event, this gal goofed up big time, recognized it and apologized for it.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Teachers were 'banned' from using red ink in schools a few years ago on the grounds that it could trigger anxiety in some pupils. They were advised to use green ink instead.

Give it a few years and green ink will be just the same as red ink! It isn't the colour of pen, it's the content of the comments. If a pupil is underachieving they won't get comments full of praise. Likewise, teachers should have the professional skill to write constructive criticism in any colour ink at all.

I can't see any logic in avoiding capital letters or advising against certain colour inks.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
THEY ARE REFERRING TO CONTENT WITH ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, NOT CONTENT CAPITALIZING THE FIRST WORD OF A SENTENCE OR PROPER NOUNS.

ALL CAPS IS A TERRIBLE WAY TO COMMUNICATE.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Spoilsport, you could have let them run with it ...

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
THEY ARE REFERRING TO CONTENT WITH ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, NOT CONTENT CAPITALIZING THE FIRST WORD OF A SENTENCE OR PROPER NOUNS.

ALL CAPS IS A TERRIBLE WAY TO COMMUNICATE.

Exactly. When people use a lot of all caps here on this site, it triggers some. I’ve seen the comments like, “no need to yell at me”, and “you don’t have to shout to make your point”.

If a student typed a paper using all caps, how do you think the teacher would react?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join