It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University bans capital letters to avoid upsetting students

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Lecturers have been banned from using capital letters when assigning work to students because it might upset them.

Staff at Leeds Trinity’s journalism department have been told writing to students using capital letters could ‘scare them into failure’

it goes on to say writing words in capital letters could make the assignment appear ‘more difficult’ – adding to anxieties.
Source

I checked, and this story is being reported by many outlets.
Instructors at England's Leeds Trinity University have been told not to use capital letters when writing to students - because it might scare them.

Something very disturbing is happening in our universities. I've mentioned before that it really seems like some sort of large-scale psychological warfare is taking place. There's no way that in a normally-functioning society, university students would have to be psychologically protected from seeing capital letters. The only explanation is that some kind of mental illness is being artificially propagated, with universities being the perfect testing grounds, and the students the lab rats. Interestingly, a former KGB operative named Yuri Bezmenov defected to Canada in 1970 and had some very interesting things to say. You can listen to several of his interviews on Youtube. In them, he describes exactly what is taking place today - a long-term plan to destabilize the nation by infiltrating western universities, spreading Marxist ideology, and essentially turning the students into unthinking, mentally frail social justice warriors that get offended by everything. And guess what? According to Mr. Bezmenov, this intentional psychological warfare against America has been a resounding success.
Is this why our university students hate America? Is this why they need safe spaces to cry in? Is this why they're too frail to see capital letters?

edit on 11/20/2018 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

That is very upsetting news!

Please ban the universities or I will cry...
edit on 20 11 2018 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Ugh, I'm just gonna advocate online college. Just give me the info and cut the rest of the BS out.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Feelings.
Turning Great Britain into mediocre britain one small step at a time.

Edited to a lil b.....
edit on 20-11-2018 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Where does this logic apply in the real world?

Anyone?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Feelings.
Turning Great Britain into mediocre Britain one small step at a time.

careful, don't you mean "britain"? After all, that capital "b" letter might terrify one of our less stable members here into full blown fear of the country.

SMFH^3

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Propaganda designed to fire up readers to allow the websites to sell more advertising space.

What do we notice about ALL the stories online about this?

They all parrot the same lines. All taken from one source - The Express.

No story has any named quotes.

No story has any sourced quotes.

No story shows evidence.

All links are tabloid.

All links are written in language designed to misinterpret what could be a standard works instruction about how to communicate with students. But we don't even have any evidence either way.

COME ON ATS GET YOUR ANALYTICAL HEAD BACK ON

Promoting this fake news of Universities becoming saps is falling straight into teh hands of TPTB. It sells advertising space, it gets people taking, it makes the right leaners think the leftist students are SJWs....

None of this is REAL LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

edit on 11/20/2018 by Slinki because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

But...but....CNN told me there is no such thing as fake news.

SMFH^4

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Actually it is. If you haven't noticed, things like this are becoming more and more common. One university even banned students from clapping at events in case it frightened anyone. My best friend's boyfriend works in a place that has literal "safe space" boxes where employees can go to hide if something makes them uncomfortable.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is outrageous.
College is supposed to be about education and to help young adults prepare for Life and they are being turned into whining, easily offended SJWs that think the world should revolve around them and then have a screeching meltdown when Reality bites them in the ass.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Isnt this about the gradation A B C D E ? If not I don’t see how this makes any sense.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Actually it is. If you haven't noticed, things like this are becoming more and more common. One university even banned students from clapping at events in case it frightened anyone. My best friend's boyfriend works in a place that has literal "safe space" boxes where employees can go to hide if something makes them uncomfortable.

Complete nonsense.

You have been hooked by MSM and not even bothered to do your own research.

Here is a quote from Manchester University Student Union -

The policy was proposed in order to encourage the use of British Sign Language (BSL) clapping during our democratic events to make those events more accessible and inclusive for all. We are not banning audible clapping – we understand that some people may be more comfortable to continue using it.”

Source

The campaign was to get people to use sign language and CLAPPING WAS STILL ALLOWED.

But the newspapers knew it would fire people like you up so they embellished it into fake news.

AARRGGHJH!!! The world is broken!

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Propaganda designed to fire up readers to allow the websites to sell more advertising space.

What do we notice about ALL the stories online about this?

They all parrot the same lines. All taken from one source - The Express.

No story has any named quotes.

No story has any sourced quotes.

No story shows evidence.

All links are tabloid.

All links are written in language designed to misinterpret what could be a standard works instruction about how to communicate with students. But we don't even have any evidence either way.

COME ON ATS GET YOUR ANALYTICAL HEAD BACK ON

Promoting this fake news of Universities becoming saps is falling straight into teh hands of TPTB. It sells advertising space, it gets people taking, it makes the right leaners think the leftist students are SJWs....

Ok, it took me 10 seconds to find a qouted source with names...

Source

Leeds Trinity released a memo to its staff regarding their students in which the university stated that uppercase letters might “scare them into failure.” In addition to that ruling, the memo also instructed the teachers to make sure their writing was friendly and eschewed overbearing and negative language.

Professor Margaret A. House OBE, Vice-Chancellor at Leeds Trinity University, told Mirror Online:

For every assignment, academic staff have an “unpacking” session with students so the students are clear on what is expected. The majority of universities do this. It is also about good communication and consistent style. For example, it is best practice not to write in all capital letters regardless of the sector. We are absolutely committed to enhancing and enriching the student learning experience at Leeds Trinity, where staff and students are a name not a number.

This is about not using ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, still stupid, but it is true

Does that make YOU fake news? Maybe YOU should get your analytical head back on...

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

So from your link we have a Professor stating it is to ensure consistency of communication. IE The English language does not use all caps in academia.

And a Yahoo source wrongly linking this to Manchester University who banned clapping, but they didn't????

OK yes, of course. Universities are banning clapping and capitals so they do not offend people.

EDIT: Nobody has even seen this memo yet words like 'frighten, anxious, order, demand' are being attributed to it. Nobody has even seen the memo.
edit on 20-11-2018 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

So from your link we have a Professor stating it is to ensure consistency of communication. IE The English language does not use all caps in academia.

And a Yahoo source wrongly linking this to Manchester University who banned clapping, but they didn't????

OK yes, of course. Universities are banning clapping and capitals so they do not offend people.

Iam not part of the conversation about banning clapping, have no idea what youre talking about.
ETA: Just reread the source, and youre right, there is a link to the clapping hand thing.

You clearly stated that there was no sources, names, NOTHING to prove this. I gave you proof

One university is banning all capital letters. They dont what the teachers to write "DON´T do this" cause apparently their students gets scared from the DONT part, and give up.

This is stupid, and youre right it gets blown up by the tabloids, but you where very fast to deny all this and blame ATS members for not doing any research - which is just not true.

Eta:

The memo stated, “"Despite our best attempts to explain assessment tasks, any lack of clarity can generate anxiety and even discourage students from attempting the assessment at all. Generally, avoid using capital letters for emphasis and "the overuse of 'do', and, especially, 'DON'T'."Additionally, the memo also says that staff must be"explicit about any inexplicitness" when assigning work, and added that when students were not clear about an assignment,"they often talk to each other and any misconceptions or misunderstandings quickly spread throughout the group (usually aided and abetted by Facebook). This can lead to further confusion and students may even then decide that the assessment is too difficult and not attempt it.”

These parts are apparently from the memo

I agree with this guy:

One employee protested that capital letters were necessary so students would not miss an important part of the assignment, adding that the education system was treating the students as if they were children: “We are not doing our students any favors with this kind of nonsense.

edit on 20 11 2018 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Only someone raised in the Internet age would have an aversion to reading something in all capital letters considering it was not considered SHOUTING (and thus somehow unsettling/bad).

The level of immaturity and social justice buffoonery continues to grow and become standard behavior - both onthe Internet and in RL (real life).

ganjoa

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

What you posted is about what I expected. I have seen quite a few assignments where the instructor tried to prevent common mistakes by giving hints - something along the lines of "REMEMBER TO USE THE DERIVATIVE!" but the whole point of those is to help the students in the first place... now helping the student out is too much for them?

I have seen the gradual downfall of Universities in my lifetime first-hand. The courses are easier; the material is not covered as thoroughly; students are coddled by not being expected to excel. When I started my academics back in the 80s, college was tough. You had to study, long, hard hours of study. In my first history class, the instructor had an audio-graphic memory and we had to write our own textbook based on what was said in class. It was a pain; there were no hints like there are today. On the tests, the questions were asked and you were expected to answer them correctly. But in classes like his, I learned quite a bit about history, and not just the dry stuff in a textbook.

Even some of my Post-grad classes are not as intensive as that college entry level class was.

I talk to professors a lot. The older ones tell me of their early days when they could be proud to turn out a class well-prepared to handle the things they would encounter in the real world. Now they are excited when a class has one or two students that can actually do the intensive work. The rules have slowly changed over the years to hold them back from the intensive style they once used. And as a result, our children are learning less.

This is only one more of those slow, cautious moves to make college friendlier instead of better. One more small step toward our own academic self-destruction.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Your source linked to the clapping ban and compared the memo to that.

You didn't give any proof supporting banning of capitals. You gave me a name, which I said there was no names stating capitals were banned. The name you gave me did not explicitly state capitals were banned. Her quote, which is not the memo, states it is best practice not to write in all capitals -completely correct I agree - for the purpose of clear communication and consistent style.

There has been no research done:

Show me the memo

Do not show me out of context quotes with no attributable source - that's what all these articles show.

Your named quote, as stated above, does nothing to prove ANYTHING about anxiety of capitals and the reason for banning them being not to scare students.

The reason is for professional consistency of communication.

Even the University's Twitter states it is nonsense fake news

twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
There's going to come a time when the bar cannot be lowered any more.

This only hurts students and society that would have to cater to the idiots graduating.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join