It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can a person serving a life sentence be released in 18 years?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
How can a person who committed multiple violent crimes, murders, etc who is sentenced to a life sentence (not 50 years to life or something - but a "life sentence")? Well this is in Cali, so.... I just heard that in Cali they have to consider parole for people the prison (or DOJ/whoever) has deemed to not be violent or a threat to society, no matter the sentence!

How can this be possible? What do the victims think of this and their families? When the life sentence is handed down, does the family think it is sufficient to replace their loved ones? Are they short changed after the perp gets 18 (or whatever) years of state aid, schooling, etc and then gets out of jail and only a couple years on parole? Are you serious? What kind of deterrent is that?

If any of these people with a life sentence commit another crime where someone is injured I hope Cali is sued for $10-50 billion, even if it is an 90yr old person. There is no reason for this.

If you want to see a video, PBS news hour broadcast from 11/18/2018 covers this topic.
edit on 11 19 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It is a matter of the legal system and wording
A life sentence is not truly for life
A life sentence without parole is closer
A sentence of 99 years and a day is the only true "life sentence"
This is true in just about every State

Why does the legal system not do the 99 years + 1 day for all monsters of society is another matter.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
It is a matter of the legal system and wording
A life sentence is not truly for life
A life sentence without parole is closer
A sentence of 99 years and a day is the only true "life sentence"
This is true in just about every State

Why does the legal system not do the 99 years + 1 day for all monsters of society is another matter.

It is weird that "life" doesn't really mean life... the legal system spends a lot of time trying to define words and meaning, yet something as simple as a life sentence doesn't really mean a life sentence.

Generally speaking, I've never been in favor of life sentences. I've always felt if whatever crime was bad enough for a life sentence, then it is bad enough for the death penalty. I don't see the point or logic of keeping someone locked up for life. Why should the tax payers pay for some dirtbag's three hots and a cot for life?

link   
Because the system is #ed up.

Guy murders my live-in girlfriend when I was 19 years old over a small bag of pot.

They finally caught him, he was sentenced to 50 years and only served 7 years. He has been in and out of jail since then. He was just a nerdy kid back then who got bullied by some old high school friends of hers that she told them to do that without me knowing anything about it.

The system didn't rehabilitate him, they made it worse. Personally, I wish they have given me the same chance she had and a shot through the heart.

But, that didn't happen, and now we have a criminal more dangerous to society AFTER incarceration than before.

Yeah, the prison system is #ed up and needs reforming.

#ing

link   
In some states, if the person is diagnosed with a terminal illness and expected to die soon, they may be paroled.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Easy reason why. Prisons need room for putting black people in prison for smoking pot.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Should go back to tribal- elders are responsible for maybe a hundred folks tops.

Got a criminal in your tribe?
Fix it.
If the tribe member can't be fixed, the tribe takes them out back and buries them.

Got a corrupt tribe living next door? (Looking at you, Chicago)
Tribal warfare. The surrounding tribes see the problem, work together to solve it.

You can't tell me the monkeys we evolved from didn't have these same problems- albeit at a smaller scale with more space.

We let this become a problem. We encouraged it.
We need to fix it.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

Guy murders my live-in girlfriend when I was 19 years old over a small bag of pot.

They finally caught him, he was sentenced to 50 years and only served 7 years. He has been in and out of jail since then. He was just a nerdy kid back then who got bullied by some old high school friends of hers that she told them to do that without me knowing anything about it.

The system didn't rehabilitate him, they made it worse. Personally, I wish they have given me the same chance she had and a shot through the heart.

But, that didn't happen, and now we have a criminal more dangerous to society AFTER incarceration than before.

#ing

Man that is horrible! I'm sorry you had to go through that and you are right, that is not an adequate sentence at all. What state was that in?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt
Should go back to tribal- elders are responsible for maybe a hundred folks tops.

Got a criminal in your tribe?
Fix it.
If the tribe member can't be fixed, the tribe takes them out back and buries them.

Got a corrupt tribe living next door? (Looking at you, Chicago)
Tribal warfare. The surrounding tribes see the problem, work together to solve it.

You can't tell me the monkeys we evolved from didn't have these same problems- albeit at a smaller scale with more space.

We let this become a problem. We encouraged it.
We need to fix it.

I like your thought process. very easy to comprehend as a "big picture" even though the parts are over-all small. Something like this could actually work if it was implemented in the correct way.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Parole.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Perhaps it might the rule of law doing what its supposed to do?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
We have this problem in the UK its just stupid.

Someone can get sentenced to live in prison for murder/rape/whatever and be out in 15 on good behaviour and because they can spin a good old yarn about how they are reformed and full of remorse for their crimes.

Personally life should mean life.

You took one life, the justice system will take your life in return and incarcerate you in a state institution where you will live out the rest of your days in a very uncomfortable cell with 3 meals a day and only the guys in the shower room for company.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

It's only "life"...if it's "Life without parole"..
"Life" isn't full "life" because you could get parolled sooner or later...

Confused? How about sentences like "3 life sentences" or "Life +99 yrs"....?

Yeah...those

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Personally, if one of my family were murdered I would speak up for them in court. I would say "jesus forgave sins" I would beg the court to let them off lightly. Cos when they're inside you can't get at them. Then when they are free I would meet them and ask for forgiveness from them and say to them "jesus forgave, you can ask him directly" as I kicked the stool from under his feet.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

originally posted by: Groot

#ing

Man that is horrible! I'm sorry you had to go through that and you are right, that is not an adequate sentence at all. What state was that in?

This was up in Iowa , 1985.

top topics

join