It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So how is global warming the cause of the California fires?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I just can't understand how people can say that a 1 degree rise in temperature is the cause of these forest fires. It is absolutely ridiculous to think if I raised the temp in my house from 72 to 73 that everything would be 300% more flammable or something. Even if you took the example of a dry sauna at a normal temperature of 120, if I raised it to 121 would the wooden benches burst into flames. HAHAHAHAHA!!! I just can't believe that these people correlate these things, it is completely ridiculous. Please explain how the temp difference is the cause of these extreme fires. It wasn't even a fire during a record heat, there have been fires during MUCH worse droughts and hotter times in Cali, but it wasn't "global warming".

Texas still has the country record for "longest drought" from 1950 to 1957 effecting 244 of 254 counties as per WIki (though other wiki pages show Cali as having longer ones as well. This might be the most wide spread, largest area effected.

en.wikipedia.org...

In Cali there were droughts from 1928-1937 (10 years) and 1943-1951 (9 years)

en.wikipedia.org...

Cali Climate

en.wikipedia.org...

So explain how this 1 degree rise over the year (which wasn't as hot over-all as previous years) is somehow the culprit of the fires?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

In Cali there were droughts from 1928-1937 (10 years) and 1943-1951 (9 years)
How severe were those droughts?

1977 had been the driest year in state history to date.[39] According to the Los Angeles Times, "Drought in the 1970s spurred efforts at urban conservation and the state's Drought Emergency Water Bank came out of drought in the 1980s."[38]

The period between late 2011 and 2014 was the driest in California history since record-keeping began.[42] In May 2015, a state resident poll conducted by Field Poll found that two out of three respondents agreed that it should be mandated for water agencies to reduce water consumption by 25%.[43]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

Exclusive – Sec. Ryan Zinke Backs Trump: Years of Mismanagement Led to California Fires

“Forests need active management,” he went on speaking of beetle kills and drought. “The amount of fuel in the forest is at historic highs.”

“The president is absolutely right. This is as much about mismanagement over time,” said Zinke who pointed to not only the previous administration but that the problem had been “going on for years.” He suggested going “back to prescribed burns late in the season,” removed dead and dying timber, and sustainable harvest. He pointed to Finland and Germany as examples.

He said “radical environmentalists” have filed lawsuits to let “nature take its course” and that these fires are the consequence of allowing nature to do so.

“I will lay this on the foot of those environmental radicals that have prevented us from managing the forests for years and, you know what, this is on them.”

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
I just can't understand how people can say that a 1 degree rise in temperature is the cause of these forest fires. It is absolutely ridiculous to think if I raised the temp in my house from 72 to 73 that everything would be 300% more flammable or something.

Yes it is ridiculous and this is a troll thread or you aren't very bright because no one said anything you said.

edit on 19-11-2018 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Propaganda is Propaganda.

Been in California for years. Seen fires for years. Heard about drought for years.
Words vs reality are not the same

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Caused by climate change? In isolation, no, but I bet the devastating ‘11 - ‘16 drought was a compounding factor — of course not nearly as impactful as the forest mismanagement during the droughts you noted of yesteryear.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man

I just can't understand how people can say that a 1 degree rise in temperature is the cause of these forest fires. It is absolutely ridiculous to think if I raised the temp in my house from 72 to 73 that everything would be 300% more flammable or something.

Yes it is ridiculous and this is a troll thread or you aren't very bright because no one said anything you said.

Have you watched the news? CNN blamed this specifically on global warming and said it was something that would become "common" due to it.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Have you watched the news? CNN blamed this specifically on global warming and said it was something that would become "common" due to it.

The entire science community has confirmed climate change is the main cause, with specific symptoms from climate change. Not even remotely close to turning your thermostat up in your house 1* and your house goes up in flames. Figure it out.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Have you watched the news? CNN blamed this specifically on global warmingand said it was something that would become "common" due to it.

CNN blamed this specifically on global warming

There you go. That convinces me for sure.

edit on 19-11-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

CNN is infotainment, it's not all factual information.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

CNN is for the left what Fox is for the right. You will get more reliable information here than you will on either of the propaganda sites.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

The entire science community has confirmed climate change is the main cause, with specific symptoms from climate change. Not even remotely close to turning your thermostat up in your house 1* and your house goes up in flames. Figure it out.

Please tell me how it is different than the sauna example.

You people get nasty when the facts don't align with your pseudo poo.

If you can't explain it, which i'm pretty sure you can't, then at least give me a link that explains how a one degree temp can effect the weather like this, when a much dryer and hotter season, didn't suffer any where near the same issue. I can't think of any other way to ask this and I can't fathom how you can consider asking this type of question trolling. Please help me understand why you think this temp rise can cause such a difference in fire behavior.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

Have you watched the news? CNN blamed this specifically on global warmingand said it was something that would become "common" due to it.

Well I probably could have quoted MSNBC or PBS or something but I rarely waste time on those and only saw the CNN clip b/c it was mixed in with other reports on the fire. They spent 3 mins giving an explanation about why the raise in temp made this such a bad fire, and therefore we can expect fires such as this to become a regular occurrence. They quoted some gov studies and other "scientific" studies.

CNN blamed this specifically on global warming

There you go. That convinces me for sure.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

If you can't explain it, which i'm pretty sure you can't, then at least give me a link that explains how a one degree temp can effect the weather like this, when a much dryer and hotter season, didn't suffer any where near the same issue. I can't think of any other way to ask this and I can't fathom how you can consider asking this type of question trolling. Please help me understand why you think this temp rise can cause such a difference in fire behavior.

GOOGLE it and go back to school!!!

2nd line

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Zinke. Swell.

The thing is, these are not that kind of forest. There's nothing to "harvest." It's brush and grass.

The Malibu fire is occurring in the chaparral-type ground cover that is characteristic of the California coastal hills (where I live) and the Camp Fire is occurring in the Oak scrub and grassland type of cover that is characteristic of the low Sierra foothills. Here is a pointer to the CALFIRE incident map:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

3. Being dense, impenetrable, and prone to infrequent, large, high-intensity wildfires is the natural condition of chaparral. It's not the fault of past fire suppression, poor land management, "unnatural" amounts of vegetation, or environmental laws as some claim.

4. The age and density of chaparral has little to do with the occurrence of such large fires. Large fires in California shrublands are driven primarily by weather, such as Santa Ana winds, sundowner winds, and multi-year droughts.

The paradigm that has been repeated over and over is that fire suppression has caused an unnatural overabundance of vegetation, creating dangerous levels of "fuel" in California's wildlands. While this may be an accurate description for some forests, such as dry ponderosa pine forests in the Southwest, it is not true for California chaparral.

www.californiachaparral.com...

Did Zinke say we should rake the forests too?
abcnews.go.com...
edit on 11/19/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

GOOGLE it and go back to school!!!

2nd line

You also said that the media wasn't blaming global warming, correct? Have you watched the news? Haven't you seen people asking Trump if he believes in global warming now b/c of the fires? I must have seen 4-5 reporters ask him that over the last week. Did you conveniently miss all of that?

You must be a bot or something b/c how anyone can think that the 1 degree difference is the cause of the fire is beyond me. That is like saying water suddenly boiled from raising the temp from 160 to 161, which we all know can't happen (at STP).

Is this member for real, do other members think this is global warming related as well?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Can you provide a link? Did CNN say the fires started because of global warming or did they say that global warming is causing conditions which exacerbate the problem? Things like a longer dry season?

edit on 11/19/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Can you provide a link? Did CNN say the fires started because of global warming or did they say that global warming is causing conditions which exacerbate the problem? Things like a longer dry season?

Either way makes no difference. The conditions were not worse than those of the past when the drought was much worse and the temps were much higher. It makes no difference either way how they phrased it. Look at Trump's press conferences where he has been asked this almost every time since the fire if he was "now a believe in GW" or "if this wasn't proof that global warming was a major and real issue" . Why would they ask him that if GW wasn't directly or indirectly responsible for the fires (or it being implied).
edit on 11 19 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Only been to Cali once and it was in and out quick. Really do not know the area we are talking about and can only speak knowledgeably of my neck of the woods. I'll accept your information as fact and S&F your post.

Edit: Notice I just linked to a source I found just a little while ago and didn't comment purposely?

<<   2 >>

join