It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to change the current limits of capital punishment in order to deter mass shootings?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If it is about school shooting then some of the real causes have been overlooked.

Where was the outrage for a HS coach actively bullying students. What about a school district and police department working together to overlook crimes which basically showed crime is OK.

Why did those authorities not lose their jobs? Because that is some how OK.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

Thanks. And honestly friend your ideas are really good. If I was in charge you would be my Jared Kushner right now!

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Absolutely these are real variables that with the proper consequence could be avoided. I believe they should be punishable in some regard

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I can tell you have this honest thought and I appreciate your input very much. I also agree with everything you've said.
The idea of a sentence for being in a gang is new to me. I joined one when I was 15, and as I said in other replies I was deterred by thoughts of jail when it came to other things, I most likely wouldn't have joined if I had thought of that as a possibility. Very very likely I would not have.
I call them mass shootings for lack of a better way to put it, it seems to be the main issue that threatens gun rights, when these guys go Postal and take out a crowd. People don't seem so worried about one or two people who die of stray bullets in other crimes when the percentage of them happening are far far greater. I think this is because it's believed that by leading a good clean life they are not going to be exposed to the random stray bullet as much as just getting shot for going to church. But in reality I think they still have to grocery shop and other things that will have them exposed to a stray bullet way more than they are ever a risk at church or what have you.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Wow ATS, I can't believe this. Literally while reading replies to my post, a new thread has started about a shooting at mercy hospital!
It's horrible to see this. I had a weird feeling (irrational) at first where I was like "if I hadn't made the post that wouldn't have happened!"
I've applied faulty logic to the happenings around me for so long I know how to banish the thought as nonsense by now but it was still my first impulse.
I am so worried that it will become a part of every single day to hear about a mass shooting. And if that becomes reality I don't see how the dam will hold against gun rights, and if that happens...all I can say is this: AND YOU THOUGHT THERE WERE A LOT OF KILLINGS BEFORE? JUST WAIT
people are willing to go to war over this man it's worrisome

I edited this to say I had not done a good job at reading details before posting. I'm sorry and I see that it was not a mass shooting at mercy hospital. I left this thread here because it kind of shows what can happen mentally
edit on 19-11-2018 by Enigma Publius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
a reply to: Enigma Publius
Posted an edit. We both have our opinions. I respect yours. Sometimes, the only way to know what works is to try it.

Thanks for that for real. If your kind of thought was not common i don't think we would be having this discussion.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Sorry I read on and it seems it was not a mass shooting. So though it kind of makes my point. The headline did say multiple people shot and many people including me assume right away that someone targeted a hospital and went nuts. There is a contagious type of panic.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I agree that no amount of incarceration is going to stop crazy people from going crazy. How about we figure out some better anti-depressants than the ones they're handing out like candy these days. Perhaps cannabis has something to offer in that regard, but no one under any circumstances should use that stuff because it is bad.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enigma Publius
Sorry I read on and it seems it was not a mass shooting. So though it kind of makes my point. The headline did say multiple people shot and many people including me assume right away that someone targeted a hospital and went nuts. There is a contagious type of panic.

That is why the headlines are written in that way.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I think it's the only way to deal with gangs. Make the punishment so egregious that young people walk away before their lives are forever ruined.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I think it's the only way to deal with gangs. Make the punishment so egregious that young people walk away before their lives are forever ruined.

Or... since they often don't care about their own lives, come down hard on their families. I always thought the best way to deal with terrorists was to find out who they were and then kill all of their immediate family, since their motivation was often to help their families. Take that away, and they don't have anything. So punish the families. Hard.

And if they have no friends or families, and all they want is publicity or infamy, just make sure that their names are never mentioned in the news. No fame, no nuthin. Of course, you'd have to get the press to go along with it, which would be essentially impossible.

You gotta go after whatever it is that they care about.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Perhaps it might be more profitable to study why it is these events can happen at times and places that fits in well with other things happening around the place.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

not trying to punish no one, just giving my idea as the OP asked

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm not sure if the death penalty is much of a deterrent, but I'm guessing the torture penalty would be. Seems like much of the time these shooters are not planning to survive anyway. But if someone planning a mass shooting has to take into account that they may not be killed at the end, but might rather be looking at several decades of constant, excruciating physical and psychological pain, it may make them reconsider their actions.
edit on 20-11-2018 by BiffWellington because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Or... since they often don't care about their own lives, come down hard on their families. I always thought the best way to deal with terrorists was to find out who they were and then kill all of their immediate family, since their motivation was often to help their families. Take that away, and they don't have anything. So punish the families. Hard.

I'm not so sure that punishing one person for the actions of another is a road we need to go down. Unless you WANT to be punished for the crimes I commit?

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I'm not even remotely thinking that direction. Punishing families is something done in North Korea.

I'm suggesting more of a hard love situation to stop young people from joining in the first place. It's so tempting for them to join in the inner city environments, where jobs and money are scarce, there needs to be a deterrent as strong as the enticement to make quick money.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BiffWellington
I'm not so sure that punishing one person for the actions of another is a road we need to go down. Unless you WANT to be punished for the crimes I commit?

I don't think I'm related to you, or have encouraged you in any way to do a crime, so I don't know why anyone would come after me.

But if I were, and you were about to do some crime, I think I'd be the one most motivated to stop you.
edit on 20-11-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

It's so tempting for them to join in the inner city environments, where jobs and money are scarce, there needs to be a deterrent as strong as the enticement to make quick money.

More motivating than money, huh? Well, besides coming down hard on their mothers and friends, I suppose just giving them a lot more money would be one way to go. Give them everything they ever wanted. And all of their friends, too. It might be more expensive in the long run, but that might put them in a situation where they would have something to lose.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

A good justice system needs to be seen to be fair.

Infants recognise fairness in classrooms. Let's say a teacher puts the whole class in detention for the misdeeds of one? The class will begin to unanimously resent the teacher and so will the parents or carers. If this was extended on a societal level, people would have less respect for the justice system and probably undermine it on multiple levels.

Whilst I can imagine exceptional circumstances where your idea might work, it wouldn't be practical overall.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Our Justice system is broken from the start , How many attorney's graduate to be prosecutors everyday, those prosecutors need someone to prosecute in order to have a job hence not a fair justice system .
edit on 11/20/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join