It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to change the current limits of capital punishment in order to deter mass shootings?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

access to guns is the only real difference, you cant blame the TV, games, music , social media, drugs (legal/illegal) as every other country has the same influences.

Did you take away any of the other things to see if there was also a change. No. Can't see it as the only cure.

Punish all because of a few.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
I can only say to Americans look to other nations, we have the same media, same medical prescriptions, same poor/rich divides, same music and so on

So I will put forth my idea (and get called a dumb democrat/ even though I vote conservative in UK), access to guns is the only real difference, you cant blame the TV, games, music , social media, drugs (legal/illegal) as every other country has the same influences.

Pick it apart, call me crazy, you asked for ideas, remove your guns from society

While i will agree, that this is MOSTLY an US problem, it most deffinately doesnt have ANYTHING to do with guns....
Do you know how many countries where people can get access to guns? And do you know how many of them which are not the US??

So why is it MOSTLY a problem in the US, when other nations have lots of weapons too?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I've already seen some options I would agree to readily. Everyone will feel certain ways about this but I'm glad to see we are exploring the idea in honest ways.
It would be hard to prove the amount of any that a law change helped unless it was given a trial run. Then you could take the average rise of mass shootings and see if that ride had a change.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Enigma Publius

I'd say we have dealt with drugs entirely wrong all along as far as users go. Nonviolent crime in general should be dealt with differently IMO. I do make an exception for theft though, it should continue to lead to jail, although nonviolent and violent criminals should never be placed in the same environment IMO.

We need to deal with inequalities in the justice system, since those with money do not get the same brand of justice as those without.

I'm not even opposed to the idea of an Escape From New York scenario for violent criminals that another poster mentioned.

These so called mass shootings aside, most of the killing seems to come from gang activity surrounding drugs. Now that's another story and I'm for extremely harsh punishment for simply joining a gang, let alone participating in the violence. You join a gang, you do five years no parole. You go back to the gang, twenty years for a second round. If you are in a car during a drive by, life without any possibility of parole, even if you are just a passenger.

We need to get the nonviolent offenders out of prison and then do away with parole. You get a sentence, you serve that sentence. You misbehave behind bars, years are added on each time you do so. You continually engage in violence in prison, you get a small cell all to yourself and never leave it again. No books, no TV, just your thoughts and you in a cell.
edit on 11/19/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enigma Publius
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

A good idea for those who would be scared of such an island. I still believe some would love the idea of a place like that. I do however also feel that we as a society should all agree on this. I think we should have multiple options available that we agree on and maybe even vote on.

If people love the idea of a place like that, they should be free to go. But there is NO coming back from that place.

There really only needs to be one rule. People should be allowed to do whatever they want as long as it doesnt bother anybody else or infringe on their right to do whatever they want.

If you steal, kill or hurt anyone, it is gonna infringe on their freedom.

A few other rules may be needed, like you cant handle or work with uranium or other dangerous materials anywhere else than on the goverment research facilities (or wherever it is safe to let people work with dangerous stuff) and that you need to get proper training and education before you can handle stuff like that.

But we could make a very short and simple rulebook to follow, if we wanted to.

ETA:
Taxes
People should be allowed to use their taxes on whatever they want, like roads, schools, military or whatever they feel their money is best spend.
Make the tax system like a go fund me site, people should be allowed to make projects on that site they think society needs, and people can pay their taxes wherever they feel they are most needed.
edit on 19 11 2018 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Unfortunately there's only 2 ways to stop mass shootings 1-Disarm everyone 2-Arm everyone , Don't recall any mass killing in the wild wild west ..
edit on 11/19/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Access to guns is also the biggest support we provide as a country to people rising up against their government. You will never be able to convince those of us that truly value our access to guns to give up our right to have them. I am however (and unfortunately I'm my mind because it pains me to think of giving up any more on this) willing to examine things like the red flag law so that people who should not have access to a gun have no chance of getting one short of stealing one from someone who does.
In the thread about the red flag law it's probably my experience with getting took to the hospital against my will that day that makes me open to it. They probably saved my life and everything worked like a well liked machine, I understand that it will not always work that way and I understand that people exist who will try to weapons that law but I'm willing to toss the thought around because I can see that this is a powder keg of an issue and I'm desperate to retain the rights of my neighbors to have their guns. We have a bunch in my neck of the woods and the last time I remember something awful happening was ten years ago when this crazy guy shot his girlfriend with a deer rifle that was built action, and would have happened under any circumstances even if he had to use kitchen knives.
There is some illness that is spreading that takes people last what we can really even consider (most of us) and all I know to do is make those people consider what is going to happen to them

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Lol...I bet if we dug around we could find someone who freaked out and shot up a general store, but then again I don't know if any. You may be correct. Everyone had a gun in those days.
So much has changed over the years I just don't know if it's applicable or not though.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I haven't read every post and this thought may have already been mentioned but I believe executions should be televised. I know that idea is controversial but lets face it, capital punishment is not a deterrent and maybe one reason is that it is not made public. It's always done in private with only a few witnesses. I say televise executions...

Edit: There was a thread some time ago that discussed different methods of carrying out capital punishment and one poster suggested the condemned be placed on a large thick flat metal plate with another matching plate above that is dropped from a distance instantly crushing the condemned into instant liquidity. Quick, painless, extremely effective and gruesomely effective. Televise that and let prospective offenders contemplate that before they commit.
edit on 19-11-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

Edit: Nothing to bury. Just instant nothingness.
edit on 19-11-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Okay, I didn't consider that at all. You are completely right! If someone is a murdering bastard hard ass let them sign up and go,it makes it worse on others and they will eventually get got either way. I honestly get considered it that way you have changed my mind. That's a pretty good idea as long as they can never come back.
It would have to be super isolated. Also it should be a place with sparse food so even if they are great at killing they won't survive long. I honestly feel they have taken a right to something that we have and misused it in the absolute worst way possible and forfeited their life so nothing should be taken totally out of the realm of possibility.
edit on 19-11-2018 by Enigma Publius because: Because auto correct stimulant learned I mean to say food and ALWAYS assumed I mean good and I have no idea why.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I am against the idea of no guns. Want crime? That will do it.

There are many shootings that are not mentally ill people. Probably the majority. Most are plain greed.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Bring back the "Blood Eagle."

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I can't see any reason making it public helps at all. It allows fame, martyrom, it ONLY appeals to the sadistic nature of someone else. I don't feel family of a victim should necessarily watch someone out to death for "closure".
They are there to watch because the want, long to see someone die. It's the very desire I wish to completely remove from the equation. You're welcome to your opinion but if you had read more replies you'd likely see that there are already logical arguments against this idea.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I am in support of this.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

It should never cross the line into entertaining is because that opens the door to a "superstar" kind of mindset.
As therapeutic as it could be to Family of slain people im strictly interested in decreasing the rate that these happen.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Posted an edit. We both have our opinions. I respect yours. Sometimes, the only way to know what works is to try it.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is rolling very good, too fast for me to read honestly and consider and (yikes!) actually research someone's idea before saying how I feel about it.
So to stay honest and also cook dinner without burning it I must take a break here. I don't want to be simple minded or quick to judge anyone's idea. I want to be able to look up statistics,consider views I'm opposed to and find holes in logic that is fallible.
I wish more people.would take an approach like that, but it cannot be. I'm pleased to see how well this is going in comparison to other topics I've seen. Good work ATS I'm proud of us for a change lately.
To quote that violent movie: I'll be back

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enigma Publius

Okay, I didn't consider that at all. You are completely right! If someone is a murdering bastard hard add let them sign up and go,it makes it worse on others and they will eventually get got either way. I honestly get considered it that way you have changed my mind. That's a pretty good idea as long as they can never come back.
It would have to be super isolated. Also it should be a place with sparse good so even if they are great at killing they won't survive long. I honestly feel they have taken a right to something that we have and misused it in the absolute worst way possible and forfeited their life so nothing should be taken totally out of the realm of possibility.

Iam full of good ideas tonight, well iam full of ideas atleast

It is a good idea to only let them have the most basic resources needed to live on the island picked for this.
And that got me to think about how to solve another problem we gonna face in this hypothesis future society.
Resources and money

It is easy. Put goverment in charge of harvesting all natural resources on earth, to make sure it is sustainable. Then create money (out of thin air) by paying people to harvest and replenish the resources. Then let people spend that money on buying resources to build and create whatever they want, and have a private free market.

No taxes is needed, make that goverment go fund me site, where people can create projects they think is needed in society, and people can earn money, and support those ideas by working on those projects.
Everybody is paid the same. People can make money to live, and if they want to be rich, they can buy resources and make their own private company to earn money with, on the private free market.

This might not be the best solutions to our problems, but hey, atleast were talking about solutions for once, which i think is needed.

S&F for creating this thread

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I don't think increased penalties will do much, if anything, to defer crimes. Broken / sick / twisted people are with us and many appear as a perfectly normal coworker, father, mother, aunt, uncle, priest, cop or whatever and the dark side stays hidden until some crisis hits where they loose control. A few want to take whole bunch with them again for a variety of reasons.

I'm sort of waiting for someone to get their hands on a nuke like device and take a whole city with them.

Probably even simpler, you can order basic lab equipment from Amazon and culture a bug while partially trying to kill it to make it adapt to become more resistant to treatment. Maybe a drone to spray infected agar from the sky.

But blaming the instrument of choice and trying to ban them is just as crazy.

I saw a meme the other day that said legal gun owners have over 200 million guns and 12 trillion rounds of ammo.

If it looks like the banners will win then it's time to bury catches of weapons and ammunition prepped with cosmoline. I've read of PVC pipe capped, flushed and slightly pressured with nitrogen. Maybe a legacy to grand and great grad kids. In the future if everyone else is fighting with sticks and stones, mechanical weapons would be a game changer.

All that is just part of the price of a free and open society. As other posters have pointed out mental health needs to be addressed but also people need to learn coping skills so go wackadoodle is not the first choice when stressed.

The nanny state option would devolve us into the Eloi and the Morlocks or something like the virtual world of the Matrix.

I like to read dystopian space opera but I don't think I would like that world either.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join