It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most likely threat to your family in the next year

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
We have never had a break in. Most of my neighbors carry a weapon. I have an alarm. Dead bolts on all of the doors and a 155 pound, 1/2 wolf, 1/2 Malamute named Grizzly. If the cops don’t get them Grizzly will. I love that damn dog.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I thought this was going to be another thread about liberals.

But seriously, most theft crimes are usually crimes of oppurtunity.

Lock your doors and leave a light on and they will move on to easier targets.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I definitely agree with you on picking the right place to live. My security is a my dog when I’m at work. My other security is my neighbors and where I live in proximity to Las Vegas. I live just outside in Henderson NV kinda near Boulder City. Much less crime here and nice people.
Except for Vector99.....I see the police heli over his place all the time

Even in my rural area, it could be great, but meth, opiate, and alcohol addictions are going on more and more, creating more criminals hunting down a new opportunity.

That comfortable distance on my rural back road is rather dark and private between neighbors. Any kind of criminal activity can be happening out there, like cooking meth in a car, stealing your mail, watching your place from the woods, you name it and it has probably happened already.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Have you ever set up hunting cams and viewing the traffic near your home for some extended period of time? You may be able to catch some of those activities going on and report them to your local sheriffs department.
I got lucky and there is always a squad car on my street. He works the night shift so it’s nice to know it’s there when I’m at work.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

A lot of times I hear where peoples cabins or campers are broken into.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Dogs are an effective counter to this activity.

A shotgun magnifies the effectiveness of a dog exponentially.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
We've been here over 20 years, and only once did we have a break in, in the area. It was in a barn, and they were caught very quickly, since the police could identify the holes in the truck from them being shot at by a farmer. Turned out to be stupid kids. They got lucky.
But, having had my own stupid kid, that had some issues, I have become VERY creative, hiding things around my house, that I didn't want to disappear.

They may get my TV and my lap top, but they better have a few hours to find anything else. But then there is our dog. The retired neighbors on two sides, and the officer in training on the other side.

Probably wouldn't end well for a burglar on our road. Everyone has guns, and we are a pretty tight nit group. It's a good idea to be friendly with your neighbors, when you can.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

I would guess if they were deaf and didn't heed the warnings, when I got home I would find bits of them wedged in my dog's teeth.

More likely, since I usually work later, I would be home, or one of my sons.
Either way, it would be endex for these plucky housebreakers

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
In the UK, you would be as much risk in the countryside as you would be in the city, due to certain "travelling" groups of people. When my parents had a car and house in the city, the most common target for thieves on our street was the tax discs for cars. They would just walk past and see if a car had the doors left unlocked, then steal whatever they could find.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
In the UK, you would be as much risk in the countryside as you would be in the city, due to certain "travelling" groups of people. When my parents had a car and house in the city, the most common target for thieves on our street was the tax discs for cars. They would just walk past and see if a car had the doors left unlocked, then steal whatever they could find.

What’s a “tax disc”?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou
We don't have them any more, but it was a little circle of paper rather like a bank note that you bought each year from the post office to show you had paid the road tax for your vehicle.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
What,s a break in , i have only heard about 4-5 in all my years in my area of the world , i have left the door unlocked for years hoping to get someone daft enough to rob me
they would get Kashoggied very quick .

I don,t lock my doors or have a dog any more because i have great neighbours, but i have at least $10.000 of art in the living room electrics a good few thousand more in 7 minutes they could score big , but they would not get far with the watchers in this hood

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

In seven minutes?

They would drive up my 1/2 mile driveway, get out, pilfer around and be grizzly sprayed, ziptied and picked up by my neighbor, the sheriff.

Unless I'm not home...

Then they would drive up my 1/2 mile driveway, get out, pilfer around and get shot by my wife, then picked up by the country coroner who lives a few miles down the road.

I love Montana...

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I've been giving a lot of consideration to WiFi cams, trail cams and yard lights. Also thinking about some landscaping and other security measures.

The most problems I've had personally was the mail box getting raided and meth trash dumped in the ditch. I'm pretty certain someone was watching our place from the woods a year or two ago. We don't have much here, plus someone is always home, including two dogs.

The seasonal neighbor across the street got hit twice, they took everything that wasn't nailed down, including throw rugs. There are quite a few homeless types that go "camping" on the public lands during the summer. They can be a problem if they are on the closest public lands to my place, otherwise they stay near the campgrounds and the river mostly.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
My tiny house is in a street of million £'s houses, I'll be the last one to get burgled, haven't painted the outside in 5 years, it looks poor and not worth the effort lol

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
3 dogs loose in the house. 2 are pitbulls. By all means, please step inside my house uninvited.

They hate strangers.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join