It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chipotle fires racist manager, then realizes maybe she's not racist after all.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Chipotle fired a manager in one of their St. Paul, MN locations after a video was posted to Twitter of the manager (white woman) asking customers (black men) in line if they had money to pay for their meal.

“It sounded really racist ― the way she said it was racist,” Ali said Friday. “She asked for proof of income as if I’m getting a loan.”

The poor men who just needed a bite to eat after a workout session were being denied their inalienable right to burritos by the angry white lady behind the counter. Chipotle, of course, wasn't having that. After a thorough investigation (that must have gone on for hours....literally hours of investigative work, I tell you) of the incident Chipotle decided that the manager needed to go.

In a statement, Chipotle said it had done a “thorough investigation” and had talked with employees and police officers who were called to the restaurant. “Regarding what happened at the St. Paul restaurant, the manager thought these gentlemen were the same customers from Tuesday night who weren’t able to pay for their meal,” the statement said. “Regardless, this is not how we treat our customers and as a result, the manager has been terminated and the restaurant is being retrained to ensure something like this doesn’t happen again.”

Somehow despite their very thorough investigation of the incident, Chipotle apparently missed the poor burrito-less man's repeated posts about dining-and-dashing from Chipotle, stealing items from Chipotle, about how Chipotle was catching on to his dining-and-dashing so he was going to have to find a new location to do it at, as well as the repeated references to dining-and-dashing from other restaurants.

"Our actions were based on the facts known to us immediately after the incident, including video footage, social media posts and conversations with the customer, manager, and our employees," Chipotle Chief Communications Officer Laurie Schalow told Fox News on Sunday. "We now have additional information which needs to be investigated further. We want to do the right thing, so after further investigation we will re-train and re-hire if the facts warrant it."

And almost immediately, it emerged that Ali had apparently spoken favorably of "dining and dashing" -- the practice of ordering food and not paying for it -- several times on Twitter in the past. "aye man i think chopotle catchin up to us fam. should we change locations and yoooooo what should we do about the other thang," read a since-deleted post on Ali's account from 2016.

But don't worry, people. Chipotle like, totally asked Mr. Ali if he dined-and-dashed on the Tuesday in question and he like, totally swears it wasn't him.

“We are not able to confirm that with 100 percent certainty,” Schalow acknowledged in a statement to The Twin Cities Pioneer Press. “We asked Masud if he was in our restaurant on Tuesday and he said no.”

Chipotle says the real reason that they fired the manager has nothing to do with her obvious racism, but rather her inability to deal with customers she knows won't pay for their food.

"The correct action to take would have been to make their food and not hand it over to them until they paid for it," Schalow had asserted as part of her justification for firing the manager, according to Palumbo.

The correct way to deal with people you know aren't going to pay for their food is to go ahead and make the food anyway then set it on the counter where they can reach it and politely stand mute until they leave. Evidently, some companies that are forever trying to reduce the amount of product that gets wasted by their employees actually encourage employees to create waste rather than simply refuse to provide service to people the employees know will abuse the service.

Oh, and apparently stealing food is actually just "not being able to pay for their meal." Because y'know, it's totally not theft if you take something that you would pay for if you could, or if you felt like it, but you just don't wanna.

Inalienable right to free burritos.

Fire people first for social justice points, worry about facts later.

I'm a little confused why HuffPo's "black voices" section is filled with a bunch of white reporters and like two black journalists, but here's their article too.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm just absolutely positively certain that Chipotle put their bestest investigators on the case... Maybe they were distracted by another mass food poisoning they were tracking down?

Seriously tho, did they ever actually talk to the manager and other employees to find out if this was just a"Black" thing... Or if they actually recognized and knew this particular person from previous experience?

I've been pretty disgusted by most of these "White-folk-behaving-badly" videos lately, but this lady seemed to speak from personal knowledge and previous experience.

Maybe that's just me though.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Can’t wait for the impending lawsuit.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Never been to a Chipotle. I know it's a fast takeout. They hand over food without taking payment first?

Yeah fire the white racist.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

People paying for Chipotle, lol. You shouldn't even be stealing that garbage, let alone paying for it.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Chipotle says they spoke with employees there, yes.

Chipotle said it had done a “thorough investigation” and had talked with employees and police officers who were called to the restaurant.

However, judging by:

and the restaurant is being retrained to ensure something like this doesn’t happen again.”

One could reasonably presume those conversations were more geared towards ferreting out just how many other closeted racists work at that location. Evidently, it's every employee there.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I go to Chipotle when I have a hankering for overcooked bits of steak and soggy or stale chips in a bag.
edit on 19-11-2018 by Shamrock6 because: too much t

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Not typically, no. It's sort of an assembly line where your food makes a stop at each station to add, or not, whatever is at that station. Then it sits on the counter next to the register while you pay.

Or sits on the counter for you to help yourself to before running out the door. Either/or.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I assume the aftermath was part of your post before the edit?

Chipolte is luke warm garbage.

"It's okay to criticize people of color!?!" You can criticize any individual person for their actions no matter skin color and not be racists, people need to learn that.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Chipotle always gives me the squits.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Chipotle always gives me the squits.

If you're lucky...

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

That's just the salmonella sauce everything is coated in.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Wait a minute.
These men didn't pay for their meal the last time they were in the restaurant and the lady recognized them "apparently shes able to tell them apart".
Then asking if they are able to pay this time makes her racist......

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

I assume the aftermath was part of your post before the edit?

Nah. Unlike certain Masons on ATS, my edit notes usually (but not always) explain my edit. In this case, I misspelled a word.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'm guessing that the manager did not make a wrong call on the dine and dash person.

Why don't these restaurants just make you pay in advance, most of the mexican food restaurants and fast food joints always do that. It allows them to have cheaper food since there are no dine and dash events anymore. It is way easier to have someone dine and dash at these kind of restaurants than at the old mom and pop restaurants where the owner or his relative watched out that people don't leave, only one exit by the cash register in those places.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

My bad. I thought it had said too much "I" instead of "t", I thought you were saying too much info.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Wait a minute.
These men didn't pay for their meal the last time they were in the restaurant and the lady recognized them "apparently shes able to tell them apart".
Then asking if they are able to pay this time makes her racist......

Ahhh, context matters, as usual.

Context:Scenarios::Location:Real Estate

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Doesn't Chipotle has like cctv in their stores? Or all black people look the same on camera?

Was this racist?

Can I say that being white?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
as a gay black man, i never pay for food

because straight white people are afraid of their jobs for correcting my shadiness.

If it's something i can not take, i just say that i was promised a discount and when they say they don't offer that discount. I asked for the manager and say is it true you don't give discounts to gay black men, and i not only get the original discount i made up but an additional straight white gilt tax

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
as a gay black man, i never pay for food

because straight white people are afraid of their jobs for correcting my shadiness.

If it's something i can not take, i just say that i was promised a discount and when they say they don't offer that discount. I asked for the manager and say is it true you don't give discounts to gay black men, and i not only get the original discount i made up but an additional straight white gilt tax

Does being Gay or Black get you more free stuff?

...asking for a friend.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join