It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President can't take criticism refuses to acknowledge Navy Seal who killed Bin Laden

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Bill McRaven was in charge of Operation Neptune Spear, the military operation that took down Osama bin Laden. McRaven has been critical of Trump's anti-media rhetoric as far back as the 2016 election. McRaven has called Trump's attacks on the media as "the greatest threat to democracy in my lifetime".

When this topic was brought up last night Trump refused to even address the substance of the discussion instead resorting to a grade school tactic of name calling.

"Hillary Clinton fan," Trump told Wallace Sunday when confronted with the retired admiral's criticism. "Excuse me, Hillary Clinton fan."

"OK, he’s a Hillary Clinton backer and an Obama backer," Trump added before Wallace said McRaven had been a Navy SEAL for nearly four decades.

Trump then quickly attempted to discredit McRaven and the US accomplishment of killing Bin Laden.

Trump, pointing to the bin Laden raid, added, "Wouldn’t it have been nice if we got Osama Bin Laden a lot sooner than that. Wouldn’t it have been nice?"

"Living in Pakistan, beautifully in Pakistan in what I guess they considered a nice mansion, I don’t know, I’ve seen nicer," he continued. "But living in Pakistan right next to the military academy, everybody in Pakistan knew he was there. And we give Pakistan $1.3 billion a year and they don’t tell him, they don’t tell him ... for years."

Wallace asked if Trump would give McRaven's team credit for "taking down bin Laden."

"They took him down but — look, look, there’s news right there, he lived in Pakistan, we’re supporting Pakistan, we’re giving them $1.3 billion a year, which we don’t give them anymore, by the way, I ended it because they don’t do anything for us, they don’t do a damn thing for us," Trump said.

To sum up Trump's position "Sure, he took down Bin Laden but he didn't do it fast enough". So instead of being an adult and saying something along the lines of "I greatly appreciate the service McRaven has given to this country. He served this country greatly through his many years of service and especially for the takedown of Bin Laden. However, on this subject, I respectfully disagree with his opinion and this is why........", Trump decides to act like a petulant toddler incapable of taking an ounce of criticism gracefully.

For completeness, McRaven responded back to Trump this morning:

"I did not back Hillary Clinton or anyone else," McRaven said in a statement to CNN on Sunday in response to Trump's comments. "I am a fan of President Obama and President George W. Bush, both of whom I worked for."

McRaven said he admires all presidents, "regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the Nation together in challenging times."

"I stand by my comment that the President's attack on the media is the greatest threat to our democracy in my lifetime. When you undermine the people's right to a free press and freedom of speech and expression, then you threaten the Constitution and all for which it stands."

I am well aware that the responses I am about to get for this post are going to be people attempting to say "So what" or "Trump Reeeee" or some other noncommital way of just wanting this topic to go away. Do me a favor, let's pretend that instead of this being a Trump interview, that this is an Obama interview. If Obama showed this much disrespect for someone in the military everyone here knows it would make their blood boil even if you won't admit it. The fact that people in this country have changed our ethical values to be "It's ok when our guy does it, but bad when their guy does it" is a serious danger to our democracy. If we can't agree that bad behavior is damaging without considering who perpetrated it, then what can we agree on?

I will leave you with this quote from President George W. Bush. It appears he could see what was coming.

At times, it seems like the forces pulling us apart are stronger than the forces binding us together. Argument turns too easily into animosity. Disagreement escalates too quickly into dehumanization. Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions. And this has strained our bonds of understanding and common purpose. But Americans, I think, have a great advantage. To renew our unity, we only need to remember our values. We have never been held together by blood or background. We are bound by things of the spirit – by shared commitments to common ideals.

Trump blasts retired Navy SEAL critical of him, suggesting he should've caught bin Laden sooner
Retired Admiral McRaven repeats: Trump's media attacks 'greatest threat to our democracy'

+23 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Not a fan of trump in any way shape or form, but maybe trump just doesn’t want to acknowledge the fake news of bin laden being killed.

Doesn’t everyone already know that bin laden died of organ failure before 9/11 even happened?

I mean, bin laden pulling off 9/11 was the birth of the fake news campaign.

Just sayin. Maybe trump was like - yeah no thanks, good try.

LINK

edit on 19-11-2018 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Let me get in before the lemmings and say trump is right as always.
This guy sucks.
Trump makes me beam with pride.
This dude dont care about America. Trump does.

So what
Maga

Obama did or did not do something

4d baby

That should cover it
edit on 19-11-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Because he didn't kill bin Laden.

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Trump is right as always.

This guy sucks.

This dude doesn't care about America, Trump does.

So what, MAGA!

But, something Obama.

4-D baby!

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
Let me get in before the lemmings and say trump is right as always.
This guy sucks.
This dude dont care about America. Trump does.

So what
Maga

Obama did or did not do something

4d baby

That should cover it

And you don't see the irony in your comment?

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

Beat me to it.. The whole escapade surrounding OBL was a sham imo.

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
This is your daily O(range)M(an)B(ad) thread.

Same OMB crap, different day.
edit on R562018-11-19T08:56:27-06:00k5611Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Don’t you guys get it yet…? Everything “MUST” have “HIS NAME” or “SIGNATURE” on it. Or else all will be rejected as “UNACCEPTABLE” or “FAKE”…

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Nope
I see truth in it

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

McCraven didn't kill bin laden. He was a general, he hasn't touched a rifle in probably 30 years.

And that's even if you believe that nonsense they tried pushing with bin ladens death. Burial at sea in accordance with Muslim traditions? Gtfoh.

But even if you do believe it went down that way, the operation was a sh*t show. Losing a stealth special Ops helicopter on a raid they had months to plan and rehearse?

Dude has no credibility, just another leftists Obama lapdog.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicAwakening

originally posted by: hombero

Beat me to it.. The whole escapade surrounding OBL was a sham imo.

Ok, so for arguments sake Osama Bin Ladin is still alive and kickin or died in a car crash or whatever. McRaven was still a Navy Seal for 30 years and shouldn’t he be respected as such?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

How did this conversation come about?

Who brought it up?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

They both sound like cry babies. Sometimes the phrase, no comment, can have a much bigger impact.
edit on 19-11-2018 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I watched the interview your creating fake news. He never once stated that the seals should have got them earlier. What he said was Pakistan was lying to the Obama administration and hiding him. Which is true he was practically staying on their military base. The owner if the house was a general in their military.

So pakistan took lots of money feom the US only to hide its enemies in their country. There is a reason Obama didnt tell Pakistan until the raid had all ready started. He knew they would warn him.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I thank him for his service, but he's no better than anyone else screaming their political opinion. If he wants to be paraded around for his achievement, then so be it. Just don't feel offended when many now only see him tooting his own horn for some financial and political gain.

"I did not back Hillary Clinton or anyone else," McRaven said in a statement to CNN on Sunday in response to Trump's comments. "I am a fan of President Obama and President George W. Bush, both of whom I worked for." McRaven said he admires all presidents, "regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the Nation together in challenging times." "I stand by my comment that the President's attack on the media is the greatest threat to our democracy in my lifetime. When you undermine the people's right to a free press and freedom of speech and expression, then you threaten the Constitution and all for which it stands."

Where was he when Obama was really attacking the freedom of the press? Obama literally spied on journalists. Oh, that's right he's a lefty trying to act like he's not.

Obama spying and prosecuting the press

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

McCraven didn't kill bin laden. He was a general, he hasn't touched a rifle in probably 30 years.

And that's even if you believe that nonsense they tried pushing with bin ladens death. Burial at sea in accordance with Muslim traditions? Gtfoh.

But even if you do believe it went down that way, the operation was a sh*t show. Losing a stealth special Ops helicopter on a raid they had months to plan and rehearse?

Dude has no credibility, just another leftists Obama lapdog.

He organized the mission, he was in charge. Plus he served in hundreds of other missions as well. He put his life on the line for this country numerous times in the past but since his political views differ from yours he shouldn’t be given any respect?

Thanks for giving a real time example of what I talked about in the OP. When you start viewing people who have different opinions from you as the enemy or lesser we are going down the wrong road.

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So in today's "Member Who Literally Can't Even" thread, we see new, breaking details in the ongoing case of "Orange Man Bad".

Stay tuned tomorrow, for another breaking story of how "Orange Man Evil", followed by a wonderful, uplifting piece of "Antifa and the Democrats - Warriors of light", where we see first-hand video (played in reverse) showing Antifa members pick up a severely beaten innocent bystander and sent along on their way.
edit on 19-11-2018 by dothedew because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

On the next episode of “Trump Says”', BlackJackal spends another day policing Trumps speech, and without irony, writing a half-page thread post on how petty and childish Trump is.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

What ever you have to tell yourself to make you feel better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join