It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manditory working on Thanksgiving

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I was listening to the radio on the way to work and the morning show hosts were talking about how Walmart was making everyone work a shift on Thanksgiving.
Straight time not time and a half.
Of course the callers are singling out Walmart as the easy target.
But it always amazes me how they dont bother pointing out all the other retailers that are open.

Gas stations,
Movie theaters,
Restaurants,

No, just evil Walmart.

My wife work for Jo Ann fabrics for several years and that is "was" an evil company.
I say was because that was 20 years ago and I dont know if that's changed..

But I will say that my wife says "welcome to retail"
It's the job you accept so deal or quit.

Any opinions?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It’s stupid that anyone has to work the holidays, but that’s the way it is now.
That extra couple days open a year, sometimes can be what brings a small business into the black for the year.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

My opinion is it sucks. But it's a thing that has to be done when you work retail.

It sucks when I have to work 12s or 15s.
Sucks when I have to go 14 days at 10 a day with no day off.

Sometimes work sucks.

While it sucks and I prefer nobody had to work I don't get all bunged up about it.

That's why it's called work

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Nurses and firefighters have always had to work on Thanksgiving..
Its actually a very busy day...lol

The black Friday thing is a myth too.
At least now days. I've ran enough businesses to know.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

People bitch when they don't have jobs.
People bitch when they do have jobs.

Sometimes. . . . life sucks.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I grew up with my mother being a nurse and many firefighter/police officer uncles. I may be immune to it. However, you know the job you take. It pays your bills. I worked in restaurants for years. Holidays were horrible, but they helped me buy my house and my truck.

It would be great if the world could pause to give everyone a break, but it doesn't. Life is tough, get used to it.

Although, I will say - I don't see a need to start "Black Friday Deals" at 6PM on Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I don't shop on Thursday or Friday.

I try to work though. Extra income is nice.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If people stopped shopping on certain days of the year, retail would be less necessary on those days. No reason to be open.

But sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do, and if you have a job, you have responsibilities. We always saw getting together as family as more important than the actual day in my house. If that meant we got together the weekend before or after, that's what we did.

In fact, our family is getting together the weekend after Thanksgiving this year, and almost always, our family Christmas is set closer to New Year's weekend than actual Christmas Day.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
It's ridiculous that retailers are singled out for being open on holidays.

I worked in the health care industry for 8 years and guess what hospitals and their support systems never close.

I currently work in the entertainment industry and while the majority of the compnay is off their will be plenty of teams working keeping games running.

It's called the way the real world is and sometimes you jus got to dig in and get things done.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

When it comes to this topic I completely understand why many places are open, such as police, hospitals, fire stations, utilities, gas stations, etc.......and I also understand the annoyance of the stores that remain open that don't necessarily need to be, such as WM, Target, theaters, etc......in the end, though, I don't really blame those companies at all, they're only doing what the market is telling them they should do so they can make money. If anything, I get mad at the people who actually go out and shop on these days, it's their fault why others can't have holidays anymore.

We all know them, hell, some of you may be them. Store employees would still continue to get their holidays if customers wouldn't shop on those days, it's that simple. Some people have no families, don't like being around their families, or decide to take their families out to see a movie on Thanksgiving and don't really care at all that some people had to cut their holiday short(if they even got one) to ensure they can go to said movie theater. You can even see that in the replies here, people stating how it's part of the job and you know it when you take the job. They are right, it is part of the job, but it's kind of sad how there are people who don't have a nice mentality regarding someone wishing things weren't going in this direction.

Plenty of my family members are like this as well, and every year I tell them they're jerks to go shopping on Thanksgiving day. In fact, one of my cousins is the type of person that will go to a WM on Black Friday, see a tv he wants that they're out of, so he makes them sell him the display model that's been turned on all day long for months on end all so he can have a tv. He won't wait for a new one and doesn't care that this model is pretty heavily used, doesn't care that the employees have a really busy, stressful day, he'll still make them drop everything and find a way to maneuver a ladder or lift from the warehouse, move around all the angry shoppers, and somehow squeeze it into the electronics department even though they have sales bins everywhere with no real room to even walk, all so he can buy a heavily used tv that he's only going to return to the store in 2 months to complain about because it's broken. When I point out how foolish and rude he is, he tells me that he's in the army and he does things he doesn't want to all of the time, so they can too.

What it boils down to is selfishness. There's just too many selfish people in this country/world, and many of the bad directions we're going is because of it. Even if I'm bored out of my mind I will stay home on Thanksgiving day, because I don't want to promote the idea of taking away retail employees holidays all so I can buy some cheap junk. To those that work important jobs on holidays, I salute you. To those who force others to work jobs that could and should be closed on those days, well, do the employees a favor and don't be one of those jerks who say stuff like "I'm sorry you have to be here today" and/or "Oh, that sucks you have to work today", they're only there because of you.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Working on Holidays sucks period.

Better to just chill and enjoy if possible.
edit on 19-11-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I worked quite a few years retail, but this was when everything opened at Midnight on Friday. As much as it sucked going from a normal operating hours job to coming in Midnight, nobody minded all that much.

Fast forward to what has happened in the past few years, and I completely agree with the outrage. It is one day out of a year. And as far as the sales are concerned it was ruined about the same time this stupidity started with all the pre-black Friday online sales that now start the beginning of November.

It honestly never made sense to start opening earlier, and now with the crap sales running non-stop it does even more to degrade the case to open at all on Thanksgiving. Give people their family time back (I know, gas stations, etc), but it not only takes the employees away but puts droves of mindless consumers out of their houses.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: CalibratedZeus
Fast forward to what has happened in the past few years...

It isn't the past few years, I worked Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Easter and other holidays on my first job back in the 90's.

Suck it up marys or quit.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
But Black Friday starts Thanksgiving day, they need lots of workers. It used to be black Friday started on Friday, but I guess people do not know what the word Friday means anymore.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

When it comes to this topic I completely understand why many places are open, such as police, hospitals, fire stations, utilities, gas stations, etc.......and I also understand the annoyance of the stores that remain open that don't necessarily need to be, such as WM, Target, theaters, etc......in the end, though, I don't really blame those companies at all, they're only doing what the market is telling them they should do so they can make money. If anything, I get mad at the people who actually go out and shop on these days, it's their fault why others can't have holidays anymore.

We all know them, hell, some of you may be them. Store employees would still continue to get their holidays if customers wouldn't shop on those days, it's that simple. Some people have no families, don't like being around their families, or decide to take their families out to see a movie on Thanksgiving and don't really care at all that some people had to cut their holiday short(if they even got one) to ensure they can go to said movie theater. You can even see that in the replies here, people stating how it's part of the job and you know it when you take the job. They are right, it is part of the job, but it's kind of sad how there are people who don't have a nice mentality regarding someone wishing things weren't going in this direction.

Plenty of my family members are like this as well, and every year I tell them they're jerks to go shopping on Thanksgiving day. In fact, one of my cousins is the type of person that will go to a WM on Black Friday, see a tv he wants that they're out of, so he makes them sell him the display model that's been turned on all day long for months on end all so he can have a tv. He won't wait for a new one and doesn't care that this model is pretty heavily used, doesn't care that the employees have a really busy, stressful day, he'll still make them drop everything and find a way to maneuver a ladder or lift from the warehouse, move around all the angry shoppers, and somehow squeeze it into the electronics department even though they have sales bins everywhere with no real room to even walk, all so he can buy a heavily used tv that he's only going to return to the store in 2 months to complain about because it's broken. When I point out how foolish and rude he is, he tells me that he's in the army and he does things he doesn't want to all of the time, so they can too.

What it boils down to is selfishness. There's just too many selfish people in this country/world, and many of the bad directions we're going is because of it. Even if I'm bored out of my mind I will stay home on Thanksgiving day, because I don't want to promote the idea of taking away retail employees holidays all so I can buy some cheap junk. To those that work important jobs on holidays, I salute you. To those who force others to work jobs that could and should be closed on those days, well, do the employees a favor and don't be one of those jerks who say stuff like "I'm sorry you have to be here today" and/or "Oh, that sucks you have to work today", they're only there because of you.

This...

People always act like it it the company when in reality it is the CONSUMER. It is the idiot Joe Sixpack consumers who can't prioritize spending time with their family or taking a day off and they just have go shopping on Thanksgiving to get a new Xbox or whatever other junk they could easily just buy at another date.

The companies are only responding to demand from consumers.

There are a few companies that have stated they won't open for the benefit of their employees though.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Main issue I have with Walmart on Thanksgiving is that it used to be possible to put in for vacation once in a while and be with your family on that day. The big day that it was "all hands on deck" was the next day, Black Friday.

Then Walmart changed it. Black Friday would now be on Thanksgiving itself.....and NO ONE will be allowed to take a vacation day on that day to be with their friends or family.

Have family? Oh well, screw you, because: We must make that all mighty dollar, because of all the screwed up people that decided Thanksgiving is all about camping out at the store and waiting for those big Christmas sales the next day.

So basically my biggest gripe isn't so much with Walmart as it is the greedy consumer that just HAS to get 5 of those 52 inch flat screen TVs, because they think that's what the holidays are about.

edit on 11/19/2018 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I was listening to the radio on the way to work and the morning show hosts were talking about how Walmart was making everyone work a shift on Thanksgiving.
Straight time not time and a half.
Of course the callers are singling out Walmart as the easy target.
But it always amazes me how they dont bother pointing out all the other retailers that are open.

Gas stations,
Movie theaters,
Restaurants,

No, just evil Walmart.

My wife work for Jo Ann fabrics for several years and that is "was" an evil company.
I say was because that was 20 years ago and I dont know if that's changed..

But I will say that my wife says "welcome to retail"
It's the job you accept so deal or quit.

Any opinions?

I worked at a University medical center, union, worked every holiday for the last 6+ yrs of my 20 yr. before retiring out.

Most times, I was already on o.t. so holidays were dbl that...plus 6 hr's toward sick time and 6 hrs personal time accrued.

My wife made me promise I'd never do that again..oh I went to holiday dinners back or to work..and I kinda did it again as Sec.Suprvr at Ford Motors for 5 more yrs (union)...but now?
Nope.

EMT full-time, 1st Responder too 24/7-365...that's it, don't ask me to come in unless it's an ER call out.

I missed a lot of family time I'll never get back...and as in your case...RETAIL...if forced to work it....should be triple-time-holiday pay!

Sadly...it's just not like that anymore...zillions of other people who would work it if they had the job. And employers know it...

Hey Mr.Blue-22? Have a happy holiday to you and yours. Cherish the moments...you can't get them back...
M.S.
edit on 19-11-2018 by mysterioustranger because: Oops

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I remember when everything, and I mean everything was closed on Sunday!
When retailers first started opening on Sundays people were thrilled! Even the workers.
I say if you don't want to work the weekends, find a 9-5 Monday through Friday job.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

It's nice of you to make assumptions based on what you read.

I don't go shopping on the holidays or the days around them. I hate people and crowds, so even if I were inclined to shop those days instead of enjoying time with family, I wouldn't do it.

But my point above is that sometimes, this stuff comes with your job responsibility. I work in publishing and it's deadline driven. I may not have to work the holidays themselves, but I will be working extra hours right up to them and right around them thanks to the increased volume of stuff going through the mail via UPS and FedEx and the increased volume of things our customers will want for their holiday events.

To translate - If our family in Tennessee wants to get together over either Christmas or Thanksgiving, this makes things enormously difficult for us. They're wedded to the idea that any holiday gathering *must* be on the day itself, or it's not good enough. And they get enormously upset when we have to explain patiently yet again why it is very difficult for us to arrange our schedule around a single day trip to a place two states away or to arrange for me to miss that large a block of time during the busy season.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl
I remember when everything, and I mean everything was closed on Sunday!
When retailers first started opening on Sundays people were thrilled! Even the workers.
I say if you don't want to work the weekends, find a 9-5 Monday through Friday job.

I know. It was truly a terrible thing when employers did that in order for people to have time with their families wasn't it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join