It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Declares War on White, Moderate Democrats

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Isn’t she still homeless/jobless or at the very least lacking a legitimate income?

I think she needs to prioritize better.

Rofl, She didnt buy her seat like most members of congress and you think thats a bad thing?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Guess what? If she played by the rules she would also lack any power. Starting in 2008 the senior members of both parties have done everything in their power to diminish the influence that junior members have over proceedings. So I say that it's a good thing if Ocasio-Cortez wants to butt heads with the senior members and hopefully gain some power back for the junior members. Or at least draw some attention to this major issue affecting Congress.

How Congress Stopped Working

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

I was getting at the lack of representation when it comes to the issues the public want's to see addressed.

And my point is that the public already knows, better than Ocasio-Cortez, what issues they want to see addressed. Cortez did not in any way declare who should determine who is fit for public office and who is not. Based on the last 200+ years of American history, the default answer is always the politicians themselves.

So she wants to have politicians determine what the people want and disqualify somehow those who do not meet that metric before the people have a chance to choose. That's actually farther from the ideal than what we have now.

Pretty much every politician tells you who to vote for, elected or not. I'd call that advertisement and I really couldn't care less, to be frank.

No, they do not. I still have the right to vote for whoever I choose, regardless of any advertising. There is a difference between someone asking the people for a vote and someone telling the people who they have to vote for.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Guess what? If she played by the rules she would also lack any power. Starting in 2008 the senior members of both parties have done everything in their power to diminish the influence that junior members have over proceedings. So I say that it's a good thing if Ocasio-Cortez wants to butt heads with the senior members and hopefully gain some power back for the junior members. Or at least draw some attention to this major issue affecting Congress.

That's a bit like the old joke, "I wouldn't join any group that would have me as a member." It's an oxymoron.

"If you don't butt heads with the man, the man will keep you down. If you do butt heads with the man, the man will keep you down." It's no wonder, with that kind of attitude, that people manage to get anything done.

Let me ask you this: how many of those people in the sit-in will have a vote as to whether or not Pelosi gets her precious gavel? Now how many of the junior Congressmen will get to vote on that? Finally, based on those answers, which group will actually hold the most power over Nancy Pelosi?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I love watching the right wingers defend the old guard corporate Dems its entertaining. Seems like they want business as usual more than anything

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

So you're suggesting that Ocasio-Cortez just go along with the status quo? Clearly that kind of mentality hasn't worked for a while now. That's why people like Ocasio-Cortez, not to mention Trump, got elected in the first place.

If you're going to state that Ocasio-Cortez is an idiot for pissing off Pelosi, are you also going to say that Trump is an idiot for pissing off and trolling all the Democrat members of Congress. Using your logic they're both ruining their agendas by angering people they could potentially need to depend on to get it passed.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

So she wants to have politicians determine what the people want and disqualify somehow those who do not meet that metric before the people have a chance to choose.

She can't determine a thing beyond her own campaign, obviously.

No, they do not. I still have the right to vote for whoever I choose, regardless of any advertising. There is a difference between someone asking the people for a vote and someone telling the people who they have to vote for.

Semantics or sophistry, which one is it? You could be running on a mix of both there, I'll give you that.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Isn't that who The People voted for?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I'm saying that there are rules in place that one has to work within the bounds of to accomplish anything.

Trump is a completely different situation. He has only attacked Democrats who have attacked him first, who are obviously never going to go along with his proposals, even if he found a workable way to outlaw cancer. He attacked lost causes, while consistently stating that he is willing to work with any Democrats willing to work with him. He is also not under the direct control of anyone in the Congress... he's the President. Different co-equal branch of government. That's a far cry from just angering the potential Speaker of the House just for lulz.

You want me to respect Cortez? Get her to actually do something productive, like Trump has.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

She can't determine a thing beyond her own campaign, obviously.

Wow... you finally got my point and blew right by it anyway... I'm impressed!

But she certainly wants to and certain posters like PublicOpinion (you) seem to think she should be able to.

Semantics or sophistry, which one is it?

Neither. Your choice of two false answers does not require that I choose one of your falsehoods.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

In Illinois Republicans voted for a Nazi as their candidate. It's amazing who people will vote for when they don't have another candidate with their preferred letter next to their name.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I more I watch the partisan hacks argue about politics one thing is abundantly clear

None of you actually want the system to change and that's exactly why every time everyone votes they vote for the same exact people everytime

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Not necessarily. As more and more Millennials enter the voting pool we're seeing a smaller incumbency bias. The Boomers may be complacent but the Millennials have realized that business as usual has screwed them over so they're looking for new options regardless of if a person has a D or R next to their name.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

As a Mill I totally support your statement. The bokmer days of climbing the ladder and pulling it up behind them are avout to end.

I'm just glad we are going to have the opportunity to unf**** the economy so the future generations don't get railroaded by a recession from subprime home loans, massive student debt and out of control inflation

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I more I watch the partisan hacks argue about politics one thing is abundantly clear

None of you actually want the system to change and that's exactly why every time everyone votes they vote for the same exact people everytime

I think there’s some truth to this. Or, some can’t even comprehend reality outside of the existing system, in a certain country.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

The #OurTime project is a grassroots candidate recruitment effort asking Democrats and progressives around the country to submit nominees for both potential candidates and districts where an Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez-style campaign might succeed. The organization will prioritize candidates who are women, represent the diversity of communities in their district, and support the major tenets of Justice Democrats platform: rejecting corporate PAC donations, Medicare For All, free college, dismantling mass incarceration and deportations, and a Green New Deal.

More than anything destroy the patriarchy and institutional racism in the Democratic party.
i guess that's understood with no reason to state.
edit on 19-11-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Sad that a blatant lie title gets flagged fast and people just run with it.

I don't agree with her platform, and a thread could go off of what she said and do fine.

Gratuitous Lying is all the rage for the right wing. Trump has made it fashionable.
If the aim is to desensitize people to facts and truth, then use the bully pulpit to lie consistently, absent cause or reason.
Lie for the sake of lying. Troll honesty itself.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

In Illinois Republicans voted for a Nazi as their candidate. It's amazing who people will vote for when they don't have another candidate with their preferred letter next to their name.

That is likely as much a repudiation of the process as anything else. Am I qualified for public office? I certainly am. Would I run? Hell no...not after the mud smearing horsecrap I have seen. What sane person would?

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I have a few theories. I believe Alex Jones is a nominally good person, who only wanted a better world for his family and his kids to grow up and live in free from imperialist wars with the bad guys on the ropes. But everyone is equally at risk from falling into a fantasy world constructed from their belief systems, and I think, put simply, he just went a wee bit crazy. Happens to the most brilliant among us.

Joe Rogan sums it up better than I ever could:

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Maybe we ahould leave out blatant lying like the OP then make the process more attractive to good people

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join