It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunter S. Thompson Killed Himself While Talking To Wife (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hunter S. Thompson, acclaimed journalist, killed himself while talking to his wife, Anita Thompson, she claims. He put down the phone, she said she heard a clicking noise then a loud, muffled noise.

www.foxnews.com
She said her husband had asked her to come home from a health club so they could work on his weekly ESPN column — but instead of saying goodbye, he set the telephone down and shot himself.

Thompson said she heard a loud, muffled noise, but didn't know what had happened. "I was waiting for him to get back on the phone," she said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to his wife, Thompson wanted to go out on top of his game. They had talked about him killing himself and this was causing relationship problems. He got what he wanted; he got to go out with a bang.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 2-25-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Voted no cause I think this should be included in the origional thread about Thompson's suicide.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Hmmm...any mention if the phone call catapulted this
suicide?

He put the phone down and bang?

Never mind..I just read it again...my bad..

[edit on 25-2-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Eh, other news agencies have follow up stories as more information becomes available. Why not ATSNN?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I read this on the net 2 hours ago and It said the phone call was 5:16 and they talked for 12 minutes, she didn't hear a loud noise but in the house, his son heard him drop the book and shoot himself at 5:46.... so...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
But did Hunter Thompson shoot himself while on the phone with his wife?

"I did not hear any bang," she says, noting that Hunter Thompson's son, who was in the house at the time, believed that a book had fallen when he heard the shot.

www.rockymountainnews.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I wouldnt be surprised if somebody shot HIM.

Why would anyone be talking normal on the phone and then immediately shoot themselves?

I think there's been foul play.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Eh, other news agencies have follow up stories as more information becomes available. Why not ATSNN?

It's just my opinion, but I find it a lot easier to read up on a topic in one thread instead of jumping around to a bunch of different threads where the same thing is being discussed.

Just one of my bugaboos.

[edit on 25-2-2005 by sensfan]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
No he didn't

www.rockymountainnews.com...

But she went to the gym. At 5:16 p.m., according to her cell-phone display, she called and spoke with Hunter Thompson for 10 minutes and 22 seconds.

"He did not say anything about killing himself," she said.

The official time of death is 5:42 p.m.

But did Hunter Thompson shoot himself while on the phone with his wife?

"I did not hear any bang," she says, noting that Hunter Thompson's son, who was in the house at the time, believed that a book had fallen when he heard the shot.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Actually, from what she has stated, she seems a little confused, which is normal considerring what has happened.

The widow of journalist Hunter S. Thompson said her husband killed himself while the two were talking on the phone.

"I was on the phone with him, he set the receiver down and he did it. I heard the clicking of the gun," Anita Thompson told the Aspen Daily News in Friday's editions.

She said her husband had asked her to come home from a health club so they could work on his weekly ESPN column -- but instead of saying goodbye, he set the telephone down and shot himself.

Thompson said she heard a loud, muffled noise, but didn't know what had happened. "I was waiting for him to get back on the phone," she said.

(Her account to Rocky Mountain News reporter Jeff Kass is slightly different: "I did not hear any bang," she told Kass. She added that Thompson's son, who was in the house at the time, believed that a book had fallen when he heard the shot, according to Kass' report.)

edition.cnn.com...

top topics

join