It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asian "Herbivore" Men in Japan and China, 70% of the male population

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Ok, this is alarming. This article is well written I recommend reading the actual article itself before commenting.

South China Morning Post

Leading the charge is an infamous cohort of homebound men known as “otaku”. A Japanese term for men who are socially awkward and have limited family and romantic lives, these “geeks” tend to be diehard anime and manga fans who have little interest in dating.

Then there are the “soshoku danshi”, which translates as “grass-eating men” or “herbivore men”. The term, coined by Japanese columnist Maki Fukasawa, describes a monk-like approach to life and relationships, in other words, no sex.

Studies in Japan estimate that this class of men, normally in their 20s and 30s, account for around 60 per cent to 70 per cent of the male population. Obviously, their reluctance to procreate is a major cause for concern. Japan has had one of lowest birth rates in the world for nearly a decade now.

So %70 of men in Japan and parts of China are totally dropping out of society it seems. This is similar to the MGTOW movements here in America but not ANYWHERE nearly as popular.

“These herbivore men don’t connect with others, they don’t establish their own families or have children and don’t really contribute anything meaningful to society, either tangibly or intangibly,” says Wong

Here I am reminded of the beautiful ones from Dr. Calhoun's Rat Utopia Experiment.

Calhoun observed the mice population over the course of the experiment. He noted down behavioural changes and population numbers. He found that there were four distinct phases of population change observed during the experiment.

The first stage, named “Strive”, was a phase in which the mice explored and adjusted to their new habitat, set territories and created nests.

Hmmmm, makes me think of the last 1,000 years. Colonies popping up all over the world and establishing governments.

The second stage was named the ”exploit period”. During this stage the mice population exploded. Calhoun observed that some compartments became more populated than others, and therefore some units used more resources. It was also observed that some units started to become crowded.

I mean, if this isn't the baby boom.... what is?

The third phase was named the ”equilibrium phase”. During this phase, the mice population peaked at 2200 individuals, although there was space for 3000. During the third phase Calhoun observed the collapse of the mice civilisation. He noted that the new generations were inhibited since most space was already socially defined.

Ok, holy poop.

The mice showed different types of social dysfunctions. Some mice became violent. Males fought each other for acceptance, those that where defeated withdrew. Some males became repeated targets of attacks.

They say crime has been dropping but I totally disagree. It's become WAY more violent where I live. If you are old or a woman do not go out at night here and I'm not joking or embellishing, unless your carrying then you can play chance.

Amongst the males the behaviour disturbances ranged from sexual deviation to cannibalism and from frenetic over-activity to a pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep.

Phew, ok. Let's look back at the article about herbivore men.

Studies in Japan estimate that this class of men, normally in their 20s and 30s, account for around 60 per cent to 70 per cent of the male population. Obviously, their reluctance to procreate is a major cause for concern. Japan has had one of lowest birth rates in the world for nearly a decade now.

Wow. This is disturbing.

Back to the rat utopia..

Newer generations born in the now dysfunctional mouse utopia became withdrawn, spending their days grooming obsessively and dedicating their time solely to eating , drinking and sleeping. This generation, for all the emphasis they placed on grooming, would not reproduce. Moreover, these mice were noted to be unintelligent compared to previous generations.

I'm not saying they are unintelligent because how can you make that assessment? Also I've noticed that not just in Japan but in America as well these men do have a typical sense of style in various forms.

The fourth phase was the decline. In this phase the population plummeted. The last mouse died 600 days after the experiment began.

This reminded me of the population decline which interestingly enough is happening in countries that are experiencing the MGTOW and herbivore men cultural shifts. Westernized countries.

For most of recent history, the world has worried about the curse of overpopulation. But in many countries, the problem may soon be too few people, and of those, too many old ones. In 1995 only one country, Italy, had more people over 65 than under 15; today there are 30 and by 2020 that number will hit 35. Demographers estimate that global population growth will end this century.

So I'm not sure if this is a cultural and social issue or what's happening. However the current social trends are scarily similar to the experiment linked above. Is it because life is to stressful? Is the economy bad? Have we failed to maintain a culture where people feel like they are active participants in community?

I have no idea but I think the material consumer based economy which is the main driving force behind western culture is have a severe social consequence that's pushing us into this direction. Now here is another interesting angle, are these cultural drivers being manipulate by powerful forces behind the scene to cull the population?

Agenda 21

Agenda 21 is a comprehensive plan of action to be taken globally, nationally and locally by organizations of the United Nations System, Governments, and Major Groups in every area in which human impacts on the environment. Agenda 21, the Rio Declaration on Environment and Development, and the Statement of principles for the Sustainable Management of Forests were adopted by more than 178 Governments at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 3 to 14 June 1992.

Could be, or maybe it's an organic manifestation of what happens when we have population density... you decide.

edit on 18-11-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It is indeed quite alarming if you are a feminist in Asia and feel the leverage you had slowly slip away. MGTOW is the number one threat to feminists right now, how dare men choose to stay single and not put up with rape accusations, divorces that leave you in the streets and children you can not see? God damn men better get back on track and put back women on the pedestal where they belong.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalsek

Hmm. I'm not going to disagree with you but I'm not going to place blame on feminist.

The problem here is cultural. We have a bad culture which is leading to a broken down social structure that men and women are both partly to blame.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Time for me to move to Japan!! I'll be swimming in sushi.!

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Lol!!

Hmmm.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

im half chinese, but when china SCREWED up limiting births, and then the idiots there aborted female babies, and then the ratio of men to women is now 60 to 40?

you gotta legalize prostitution in that scenario. it has to be available EASY, regulated, and low priced.

because these guys are not deciding this on their own. they quit out of frustration, and joined reddit like forums dedicated to being an incel, and then they convince each other incel is a cool thing to be.

even tho i always say you never quit, the fact that stupid g0v over there screwed up the ratio of men to women, well you sort of have no choice but to quit. they can move away, but even still, there are now more men than women on the world.

more women than men, that works, because men have no problem having lots of girlfriends.

but more men than women? you are screwed.

i think they said it will take 30 years to fix the ratio. who knows if they can pull it off.

only option is legalize prostitution, so these guys, even tho lonely, might be be depressed thanks to the sex endorphins.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

Yikes, that's a scary situation

Crime problems in China? Drug abuse?

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have no real comment to make, just wanted to say nice one for the interesting read.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

These social issues and their ties to the rat utopia experiment is something ive been following for a while

We need to change the conversation from how do we solve economic problems to how do we solve cultural issues because I believe they are linked

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

On the other hand I was reading an article not long ago about men in China discarding totally single women 30yo and up from the dating scene, so I am pretty sure that a well motivated man can still get some action.
edit on 18-11-2018 by Kalsek because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2018 by Kalsek because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Damn veggies, they will put us all into extinction.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

A lacking of family values, instant gratification, social addictions, and no one wants to sacrifice for the greater good. It's all about me, me, me, who cares if you lost your home, who cares because it's not happening to me.

That's what happened. I dont think these men are particularly wrong either. Are they hurting anyone ? Perhaps themselves by choosing to not have a loving relationship. As for their lack of contribution to society, I'd say if they work, then that view is entirely biased because they are in fact contributing something.

Certainly not everyone breaks the mold, and honestly how many more people do we need pro creating with no interest in parenting their children anyways, aren't there enough kids running around misbehaved.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

I totally agree with you that narcissism has become the predominant culture of America. Me me me is right. From all age groups.

Every man is an island. Now, every man really is an island.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I have no idea, but I don't see it in real life in my corner of England. Young people are popping out kids because the benefits system is generous. Sex and women are easy to get here on a weekend night...maybe the Japanese should drink more sake and let their hair down a bit.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I would say not just America, its everywhere that has been "modernized" in my opinion. Even if you travel to other countries, people there all have phones, their mostly all doing the same thing as we are.

Also I agree 100% with your analogy, well stated.
edit on 18-11-2018 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

So what do the women in these countries do?

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Sex is pretty easy to get decent long lasting relationships on the other hand...

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Yes agreed

I'm not chasing a long lasting relationship though, well maybe, just waiting for my time with someone who I can't have at the moment.
I have many female friends who I love though, deeply, and get intimate with. You could probably call me 'the slut who loved me'

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Those are happy bastards...

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
You can ask these 70% but they won't tell you. Rule #1.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join