a reply to: tadaman
Alright, still a long way to go, "I tend to overdo things", I was told...
My granddaughter loves "driving" this thing, problem is, we live at a hill and the main street is the lowest point on most of the town so everything
that once begins to roll, will end up on a busy main street. Of course we always supervise her but if you know how fast these things can pick up
At first, I just wanted to install a remote brake system. It will bring the thing to a stop if it get´s too fast down a slope and also, if I hit the
button on the remote control I made.
Then of course, after I finished and tested this before I installed it, I thought, that´s way to easy... I need to optimize a bit if I´m at it.
Since I already hat a 54+16 channel arduino on board, I thought I may as well install some gadgetery.
So I began to buy and wire together sensors that would give me the steering angle and I built a spring loaded potentiometer (that I used for another
project, see signature). So now it can also control RC toys because I hacked the remote controls with some NPN transistors.
It´s all sloppy and in test phase but the software is running, connection is stable and the basic functions work. Because I was at it, I slapped a
few leftover pneumatic valces into it, too. You can never have enough of those. It enables me other stuff like popup water canons.
What´s left to do is finally order the PCB and bring it all together on one board to downsize it and install the accelerometer, BT module,
brakesystem (a springloaded brake that is activated my the safe lock you can see in the last picture) and all the sensors.
It will then have:
- remote emergency brake system
- ability to control a 2channel RC toy (steering and speed+brake) via the steering wheel and a finger pedal.
- popup water canon on the front white part that you can see through the spokes of the steering wheel.
- maybe some force-feedback.
I learned from previous projects to wait until everything runs smooth and then I start taking off material where I need it and bolt stuff into it.
That´s why you won´t see much changes currently and my granddaughter uses it daily. So it will be an overnight job to install everything.
Your´s is awesome, I like the adhoc approach. My granddaughter also has a cleaning simulator (toy vacuum cleaner) and the part that moves over the
floor is fixed so I 3D printed a hinge like the original ones have so she can simulate propperly.
edit on 18-11-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)