It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC gives SpaceX green light for 7,518 new satellites

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Newt22

Are several satellites deployed with each rocket launch, or will it take +7,000 launches over a period of time, to get them in orbit?

Iirc two years ago they did a launch with 30+ satellites, and still landed the stage one booster.
Those things were bigger, the size of microwaves. What they're talking about will be done in a dozen launches or less, I'd imagine.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt
To a point.
Until your gps device is configured out of the box to identify its user and report back the location of that user art all times- ergo, modern cell phones.

Very interesting times are ahead for data security laws.
Smart phones calling emergency services may or may not have such already built in to the device, to report the GPS receiver location. If the smartphone doesn't have that feature, then its position an be triangulated from the telephone signals, but with much less accuracy. I guess having more sources to pinpoint the location using the "triangulation" method could make it more accurate. I don't know if those extra satellites could help with that or not, but I would guess that they are still pretty far away in low earth orbit so you'd get better triangulation results using cell towers on the ground that are closer.

<< 1   >>

join