It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brussels tells Theresa May - delaying Brexit will cost UK £10bn

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The EU is very angry with UK for calling a referendum and even more angry that the result was leave. It's caused a massive financial headache.

Let me just say that I love Europe (how can anyone not?), I just have a problem with the imposing EU.

I welcomed the referendum and would've walked on hot coals to get there. I voted leave. And I'd vote leave every time.

I saw it as a first and only chance to vote out the appointed EU which governs over elected governments. I always had a problem with the fact that I couldn't directly vote for/against any of the free-loading, unaudited, corrupt piss-heads in Brussels, like I can with my own govt. We were stuck with them no matter what and couldn't do jack-plop to change it because they're all out-of-our-reach, so to speak.

Until the referendum.

The leave result should have been a wake-up for the EU. It could have tried to look for ways that would have made it more attractive for us to stay, but it instead looks for ways that tighten the thumbscrews and make it difficult to leave. It's 'negotiating' tactic/approach is negative and oppressive and punitive. Nothing positive, just fear and doom and hostility. It's repulsive and invokes the instinct to run in the opposite direction as far as possible.

Just let's get our running shoes on, sharpish.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: rhynouk

And if Trump was in charge of the EU he'd make UK pay their bills or go home, just like he makes EU members pay more NATO money. Seriously, they're doing you a favor, might force your government to make a decision.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk

...We needed a strong leader who could stand up to the constant jabs and bullying tactics. Instead we get a woman who really doesn't know what she is doing. Way over her head.

This picture I put together a while ago in anticipation of all of this nonsense sums the situation up nicely, imo,

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: studio500

Looks like some Brits might be looking for a little "Independence".

Good on ya!

It's about time!

We are already independent, demonstrated by the fact that we can leave the EU by democratic vote.

How did it work out last time some US states wanted to leave?

Point taken.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: studio500

It's a statement of facts, nothing else.

The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2016 the UK government paid £13.1 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4.5 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at about £8.6 billion.

fullfact.org...

This vassal state fear and loathing on Las Royally Screwed Islas makes me smile ever single time though.

God shave the Queen!

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Ha ha, give up sovereignty....?

It's not going to happen.....and in time the EU will crumble and Brexit will be viewed as the start of that process.

NO DEAL!

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I wonder, doesn't the EU realize that Britain and the US are the largest chunk of NATO power? What is the EU without NATO?

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk Instead we get a woman who really doesn't know what she is doing. Way over her head.

May probably knows exactly what she's doing as a remainer at heart

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

May probably knows exactly what she's doing as a remainer at heart

That seems to be fact. May it bite her on her treacherous ass. Actually, that appears to be happening. Wonder how she'll like retirement with a big "No Confidence" as her legacy.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Treacherous! I like it
Theresa is trying her best to keep a common sense approach to the Brexit negotiations, we are so intertwined with the EU that a full on hard Brexit might be disastrous for us, we need Europe while the Europeans don't really need us. May is trying her best to keep us in toe with our neighbours, we need them

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Lord have mercy, lad, try and remember who you are. Remember what kind of backbone and brilliance the Brits have always been made of.

You have bought the proposition that these E.U. clowns are your superiors and that you're rather helpless without them. I don't believe it for a minute.

You on the other hand, have assimilated into the globalist Borg so much so that you are willing to have assorted globalist sleaze rule you without your consent. And they're thug bullies at that. No other way to portray them with their own open stance.

You are a good person I do believe but in this instance willful "treachery" indeed by May. Any "Remainers" "resisting" are a party to it.

edit on 18-11-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

Lord have mercy, lad, try and remember who you are. Remember what kind of backbone and brilliance the Brits have always been made of.

You have bought the proposition that these E.U. clowns are your superiors and that you're rather helpless without them. I don't believe it for a minute.

You on the other hand, have assimilated into the globalist Borg so much so that you are willing to have assorted globalist sleaze rule you without your consent. And they're thug bullies at that. No other way to portray them with their own open stance.

You are a good person I do believe but in this instance willful "treachery" indeed by May. Any "Remainers" "resisting" are a party to it.

Hahhahahaa youre funny.................. I think its fun anyway! So be being a remainer I am a traitor
Blimey I never looked at it that way but hey its one view for sure. So I shall be ready for the hangmans rope.

I honestly don't think thye disruption to our economy is going to be worth getting out of what we had before, which was the best deal for any member of the EU being allowed to control our own currency and our borders too. We had it good and now we have to throw it all away for some jingoistic vision of taking back control nonsense................. We already have total control of our own island and things are pretty good here. Now its all at risk because of a few turncoats.

You mention backbone, well we went through that backbone thing last century in Europe and lost a hundred million people in that period. A united Europe has given us a fair peace a those warring days are behind us due to this unity. Things could change pretty quick if we all pull apart. Why risk another European war by dividing up again?

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Some poor souls have been ruled and beaten into submission and led by the nose

for so long..... That they have forgotten the smell of being FREE.

They have lost their backbone and ambition and are apathetic for the future

of themselves and their children.

We need a leader to MUKGA

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Some poor souls have been ruled and beaten into submission and led by the nose

for so long..... That they have forgotten the smell of being FREE.

Its hilarious....................... What does your vision of 'being free' look like?

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Not beholden to the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels would probably be a great start.

your current govt may not be great but at the very least you have the ability to send bad politicians packing, what can you do when Junker and his flunkies make bad choices... bend over and take it.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

But Junker has no control of us, we are independent right now here in the UK controlling our own economy, currency and military. We never committed properly to the EU experiment and keep outside of full integration as it is. Why risk our already independent state and comparatively successful economic system and standard of living with a complete unknown?

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Its getting to the point now, after a couple of years of frightened remainers doing their utmost to derail Brexit that rather than seeing them as simple, misguided fools, I am starting to see them as dangerous, treacherous enemies.

Dangerous, because the precedent they are setting is one of taking power further away from the people who pay their taes and emboldening those who would rule us rather than represent us.

Treacherous, because they will stoop ever lower, there is no depth to which they will not sink to realise their disgusting aims.

Enemies, because to ally oneself with those who would permanently destroy your right to have your vote matter, to usher in a system of government in which the views of those who would be subject to it's laws have no say, is utterly incomprehensible to a rational, free, human being.

If anything, this whole pantomime is showing up our twisted, useless parliamentary democracy for the sham it is and further more, making many more peole wake up to the fact that monarchy is a pointless governing system and leading them to question our society wth regard to moving away from that also.

edit on 23pSun, 18 Nov 2018 13:59:23 -060020182018-11-18T13:59:23-06:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: fat fingers

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You are 100% correct, but the unknown is both directions in my opinion. Will the EU be content to let you ride the fence into perpetuity, or will they try to force the issue down the road.

On the flip side, its possible the UK could get better long term deals with other nations that would require more initial work before the payoff came about.

Either way I hope it works out for the UK, I loved visiting, greatly enjoyed meeting the people and for me personally I will always look at the UK as a close friend to the US and will wish nothing but the best for them and their people.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Hehe what a nice reply and very nice thoughts on Britain. We love America likewise here in the UK and know full well we'd be a very different world right now without your actions in the last hundred years to preserve democracy and fight the right fight.

My main concern is our economy and what the EU might do to us long term. They can cripple us if they so choose, something we can not do to them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join