It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brussels tells Theresa May - delaying Brexit will cost UK £10bn

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: username74
Aye they brought us jaggy nettles !

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: username74

No its not a stance Im lead into
I dont believe in generational punishment at all thats ridiculous
Im not here discussing the benefits of the British empire
Im not being persuaded to hate my own legacy its not my legacy !
who said whites invented the slave trade ?

Sorry for the split replies

edit on 20-11-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

aye I mean we only invented haggis pakora !

Ive read alot about Scots overseas during the height of the British empire , we did contribue alot to the development of the modern world only because of the might and and reach of the British empire
but at the same time it was all open to abuse !

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

we all live in a constitutional democracy

I don't. I live in a country ruled by a foreign nation. Whatever England votes for Scotland has to comply. That's not a democracy, That's subjugation.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

The only thing Scotland doesnt have a say on is our defense and our fiscal budget as far as I am aware
we are devolved in nearly everything apart from that ?

and we have had our say in remaining in the UK as well as EU , so the people of Scotland have already made their decision twice, on the independence ref and EU ref!
We voted for our future , if that isnt democracy then what is ?

I do think we should be able to determine our own defense and our own budget though
because that is where I think we are let down under democracy.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

May is doing a grand job really under immense pressure,....

Wow.
You must be the only person on planet earth who believes that.

True, she was handed a poisoned chalice by that twat Cameron but her complete lack of doing anything for over a year left the country completely rudderless and gifted the upper hand in negotiations to the EU.
What she is offering is not what I voted for....not many people I know disagree with me.

now the Scots Irish look likes they are going to scupper the whole thing.....

One had to be a complete political novice or incompetent not to have foreseen how that was going to play out.

.... and who knows there is a conspiracy there>?

Politics and conspiracies go hand in hand....one begets the other.

edit on 20/11/18 by Freeborn because: clarity

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

You have devolved powers.

I'd love to have equal powers devolved to the North East....but it isn't going to happen, I recognise I'm in the minority and accept that.

The reason you don't have complete fiscal control is because you still receive funding from Westminster, pretty simple really.
It was part of the deal when the Scottish people democratically expressed their wish to remain in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Ha ha.

We, unlike our unruly cousins know the boundaries.

I can guarantee that there's nothing more most of us would like and enjoy is a night in a pub together talking bollocks and having a laugh.

I don't think that would occur with those at the centre of all the left/right vitriolic bickering that seems to consume ATS at present.

edit on 20/11/18 by Freeborn because: clarity, again

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Ha ha.

We, unlike our unruly cousins know the boundaries.

I can guarantee that there's more most of us would like and enjoy is a night in a pub together talking bollocks and having a laugh.

I don't think that would occur with those at the centre of all the left/right vitriolic bickering that seems to consume ATS at present.

Just so Long as we don't talk politics at the bar

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

is it European exceptionalism , which has caused us to carry out some truly unspeakable acts of barbarism!

Oh come on now, The British were hardly unique in their 'barbarism' amongst Europeans.

Recent history; The Holocaust. Obviously Germans played an absolutely huge part in that.
But nationals from how many other European nations were also knowingly and willingly complicit in that horrific episode of human history?
Polish. Latvians. Lithuanians. Romanians.

Look at the genocide the Spanish committed whilst building up and securing their Empire.
Their atrocities far outstripped those of the British.

The French and even Belgians were renowned for their excessive brutality in their colonies even by the standards of the day.

Yet its only 'The British' who are ever demonised.

And guess what, not one Britain alive today was responsible for any of those 'barbaric acts' carried out in the name of Empire.

First of all you are using the standards of today to judge the actions of yesterday.
Secondly, if you are going to blame people alive today for the acts of their ancestors at least be consistent and point the finger equally at all who 'deserve' your ire.

Oh, and p.s. Many, many Scots benefitted from The British Empire.

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Seriously folks, are you going to hold everything any nation did against people from that nation forever?

Because, unless I am mistaken, there is no culture on earth that didn't do something awful at some time.

Besides which, none of this has the remotest thing to do with whether the people in parliament are right to gauge the will of the people in a referendum then do the opposite of what those same people wanted.
edit on 36pTue, 20 Nov 2018 13:48:36 -060020182018-11-20T13:48:36-06:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: space oddity

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hmmmm, Interesting.

The supreme court has dismissed an attempt by the Brexit secretary to derail a European court hearing into whether article 50 – which triggered the UK’s departure from the EU – could be reversed.

court rejects attempt to derail article 50 hearing

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Hear, hear!

Cheers to that, Freeborn.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

As I recall, you had a democratic vote on devolution. You lost. That's democracy, old son.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

That's all very well, but let's just perpetuate past hatreds and conflicts forever rather than move on and live together peaceably because you can't ever forget or forgive the past, eh?

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you or you've taken me the wrong way but I'm not the one justifying bigotry today on the actions of yesterday.

My other point was that so many people seem to justify their dislike, even hatred, of the British or more specifically the English on acts carried out in the name of Empire whilst ignoring similar and worse acts carried out by people of other nations.
No-one despises the Spanish today because of the atrocities they committed throughout South and Central America.
Its frowned upon to show any sort of enmity towards Germans because of WWII or The Holocaust.

I agree that we shouldn't perpetuate past hatreds....but here on ATS that's certainly more applicable to those who express anti-English bigotry and hatred, something that seems to be perfectly acceptable.

I think maybe Solo and his ilk should spend a bit more time relaxing in The Banter Café as he in particular seems to be totally consumed with a burning hatred of us bastard English.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Yes, you do indeed misunderstand me. I was in sarcastic mode - of course I am not of Solo's ilk.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I agree that we shouldn't perpetuate past hatreds....but here on ATS that's certainly more applicable to those who express anti-English bigotry and hatred, something that seems to be perfectly acceptable.

I do wonder why this appears to be acceptable, particularly to the left. Is this not racism, pure and simple? Which is surely a "Bad Thing"?

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I think maybe Solo and his ilk should spend a bit more time relaxing in The Banter Café as he in particular seems to be totally consumed with a burning hatred of us bastard English.

This resumee is short-sighted when you have the same old lies and spin creeping up in every single Brexit thread.

And it's the same sort of self-righteous ignorance, which had you coming to a conclusion that he's just a hater. Maybe you should just let it go and find a way back to the actual topic, talking with the people (as in "not talking about them"), who dare to pose different opinions, in order to understand where they're coming from?

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I should have known, too many distractions at present.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join