It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Strange And Hot Is Lurking Beneath Antarctica's Ice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
As much as Antarctica has been in the news and on the minds of the conspiracy crowd vis-à-vis hidden bases, ancient cities, Nazi Yetis, et al, here is a bit of new science in regards to what is happening beneath all that ice:

There's something unusual – and very, very hot – going on beneath the ice sheets of Antarctica.

A new study has shown that the Antarctic Ice Sheet at the South Pole has a giant “hotspot” – triple the size of London – under its bedrock.

As reported in the journal Scientific Reports this week, the freakishly hot zone is not likely to melt away Antarctica any time soon. However, the researchers note that its extreme heat has caused a 100-by-50 kilometer (62-by-31 mile) area of the ice layers to sag and droop downward, as you can see in the graphic below.

IFL Science

Of all the places on earth, Antarctica is somewhat of an open canvas and so far removed from what we think of as civilization that imaginations can easily run wild with the possibilities of what could be going on down there. With continued advances in technology, we are able to peer deeper than we have heretofore and what we are learning is almost daily reshaping our view of the world.

From the actual paper referred to in the article above:

We analyse ice-penetrating radar data upstream of South Pole revealing a ~100 km long and 50 km wide area where internal ice sheet layers converge with the bed. Ice sheet modelling shows that this englacial layer configuration requires basal melting of up to 6 ± 1 mm a−1 and a geothermal flux of 120 ± 20 mW m−2, more than double the values expected for this cratonic sector of East Antarctica.

What has been found is that there appears to be a hot spot deep beneath the bedrock, which is in turn deep beneath the ice.

It is theorized that this is due to a concentration of highly radioactive elements, but that is merely from inference rather than from direct observation:

High heat flux values within a craton are due to radiogenic granitoids in the upper crust, which give rise to local geothermal anomalies. ... The presence of this sample indicates that although sparse, it is reasonable to infer that high heat producing granitoids exist in the South Pole region of East Antarctica. Additionally, it is important to consider that radiogenic intrusions could be buried and hence be more widespread than erratics alone appear to indicate.

The amount of thermal flux measured is, however, more than could be explained by radioactive elements alone and an additional mechanism is needed to produce the values detected. Interestingly enough, water may play a role here:

We therefore propose that hydrothermal circulation, influenced by a fault system, is a potential additional explanation for the high amplitude of the geothermal anomaly we model.

Anomalously high geothermal flux near the South Pole - Nature

Related ATS threads:

Volcanic heat found under Antarctica's Pine Island Glacier

Researchers find secret, warm oasis beneath Antarctica's ice.

Scientists discover 91 volcanoes below Antarctic ice sheet

Obviously this activity deep beneath the ice is nothing new and is only new in the sense that it has recently been discovered. this is something that has been going on for longer than we have been civilized.

What says ATS?

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

There are some interesting finding coming out of that area these days. I'm keeping a very close eye on what's transpiring there.

As more independents venture down there, I think we'll see years of deception come to a halt.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Fascinating, thanks for sharing.
It does make you wonder what's under all that ice. Obviously we couldn't go there with a thousand hair dryers and melt it ourselves, but hopefully whatever it is keeps going and gives us some more clues as to what's happening.
Sadly, the MSM will ony report what's going on upto a point. After that, the trail goes cold, pardon the pun.

Certainly worth keeping an eye on.
edit on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 10:23:27 -06001018112018000000k by rhynouk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Really cool.
My first thought was some form of volcanism in the area but your comment about radiation reminded me of naturally occurring fission reactions that evidence in favor of had been discovered in areas of Africa where uranium deposits have been found with Correction: lower amounts of U235 not more U238.

Naturally Occurring Nuclear Fission Reactors

Good find.

edit on 17-11-2018 by watchitburn because: Correction: lower amounts of U235 not more U238

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
There was a natural nuclear reactor found in Gabon, Africa. Over 2 billion years ago, natural deposits of Uranium were undergoing fission at the same level as a low power nuclear reactor:

en.wikipedia.org...

Interesting that this point in the South Pole should still be undergoing fission.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Maybe its Satan himself rising to the top and the hubs of hell getting ready to burst open.

Just a thought. Carry on.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Jusvistn

Thanks for that, your comment made me chuckle a bit.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Makes me wonder about methane release and its impact on the overall environment. Certainly would me more significant than us humans.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn
and
a reply to: stormcell

I had similar notions. It is entirely possible that this is close to what is occurring beneath the ice, but until further observations can be made, it's all conjecture at this point. Even for the scientists.

a reply to: TheOnlyAnswer

Yeah, methane clathrates, but that's a whole other thread. If one of those large deposits should happen to unzip, it would do a lot more to the global greenhouse gas inventory than we humans have managed to accomplish.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Obviously the signal from the mothership has reached the Earth base and activated the destruction sequence from deep below the antarctic surface. The next phase will be to increase the Earth's rotational speed and gravitational influence to a point where we get really dizzy and the moon collides with the planet creating a super earth. Once the merger happens the alien earth base will re-freeze the planet to expedite the cooling process of the heated surface, melt the ice to create new oceans and plant the seeds of life to repopulate the Earth with new species that perhaps won't be hell-bent on self-destruction.

In all seriousness though I find this data and the OP to be a very fascinating subject. I hope more data can be accumulated for a better understanding of what's going on there.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Where is this in relation to Lake Vostok? That’s a really big place but it makes me wonder if it’s part of what has kept the lake liquid.
The reports on Lake Vostok were fascinating and then it kind of disappeared from media outlets. With a conspiratorial mind you want to believe it’s something mind blowing, but in reality it was boring kinda stuff. Unless you are into the nerdy side of science. I wanted aliens and prehistoric monsters drug out of that damn hole. Lol

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
wasn't there a rather large (for Antarctica) earthquake in the area in the very recent past? I'll keep looking, but thought I would throw it out there in case any of our EQ residents in charge know and find quicker.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

The coast off of Washington,Oregon,No Calif has a giant magna pocket looming under the ocean,so this is not an isolated case,the future doesn't seem so bright

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't volcanic or radioactive activity under Antarctica. It doesn't just consist of ice, and was connected to Africa a long time ago. Unfortunately no clear way of finding out what is under there.

I guess we can all start using HFC Hairsprays again now that we know it was radioactive rocks under Antarctica all along.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Where is this in relation to Lake Vostok? That’s a really big place but it makes me wonder if it’s part of what has kept the lake liquid.

Lake Vostok

Area covered by the study referenced in the OP

Also, on can see the depth at which Lake Vostok is in relation to the depth of the ice covered by the area in this study:

Vostok's depth is the lime green line in the above image, as you can see, Vostok is nowhere near the depth of the ice as measured here.

It appears to me to be too distant from the area covered by the study.

a reply to: Jusvistn

wasn't there a rather large (for Antarctica) earthquake in the area in the very recent past?

Is this the one you are referencing?

GEOFON standard1 2018-08-27 20:09:24 5.6 61.85°S 58.49°W

GFZ

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yes, it could be the one I'm thinking of, but I had thought it was further inland. Thanks for the find.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
thanks for non-political topic

Cthulhu anyone?

any volunteers to drill into it?

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Clearly its an Alien generator outputting too much heat.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yes, it's called magma. An underground volcano perhaps. Maybe even an underground Hot Spring. So strange, so strange.

Actually, not very strange at all.

The reason for it can be summed up in two words:

Planet Earth.

Cheers.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join