It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina’s missing sub with 44 crew on board has been located on the bottom of the ocean

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

choking to death on co2 as the compartment was filled with toxic superoxide scrubbers getting wet and i believe the water had fuel on top of it that ignited. they had enough time to write a few letters that were recovered

i cant imagine knowing you are going to die at anypoint in the dark and most likely is extreme distress

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: charlyv

They were in the middle of a storm at the time. They were staying below the swells while submerged, and recharging their batteries.

I am not a submarine captain, however I did chase them...
In a storm, a snorkeling sub is actually in the swells which could expose the boat and then go over the snorkel. That is what the snorkel is designed for, but mostly in calmer weather. There would be a log of motor havoc, especially if there was a problem with the water integrity of the snorkel valve and it's vents. I would think that a small sub like this would prefer to stay surfaced, if given the permission. You can also charge your batteries much faster if you are surfaced and kicking up the RPM's

edit on 18-11-2018 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

The fact of the matter is through space can be far less of a hostile environment to cope with than a few hundred meters under the Sea, material science wise anyway.

Your boat would need to be about 20/30% larger to accommodate and facilitate multiple individual crew escape pods. This may also somewhat compromise any submarines structural integrity thus reduce its crush depth and capabilities at sea.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

They could have, but the swells would have wreaked havoc with a boat that small.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Back to the finding of the ASA San Juan. Ocean Infinity, the company who found the sub thanked the Argentinian navy for their assistance. They also thanked the Brits. What form of help would the British have afforded? I'm guessing intel of some kind. Do the British have a SOSUS web (i.e. sub listening posts) around the Falklands?

Source press release

In addition, the United Kingdom’s Royal Navy, via the UK Ambassador in Buenos Aires, made a very significant contribution.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

The fact of the matter is through space can be far less of a hostile environment to cope with than a few hundred meters under the Sea, material science wise anyway.

Your boat would need to be about 20/30% larger to accommodate and facilitate multiple individual crew escape pods. This may also somewhat compromise any submarines structural integrity thus reduce its crush depth and capabilities at sea.

It seems that when things get bigger they make them work somehow. I can see inside pods that release through closed tubes. I guess $$ is the reason they don't do these things.

The Project 941 or Akula, Russian "Акула" ("Shark") class submarine (NATO reporting name: Typhoon) is a type of nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine deployed by the Soviet Navy in the 1980s. With a submerged displacement of 48,000 tonnes,[1] the Typhoons are the largest submarines ever built,[3] able to accommodate comfortable living facilities for the crew when submerged for months on end.[4

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

££££ my bet also, sad but, mostlightly true.

I think there are possibly new escape sections being considered for future submarine designs but retrofitting already old or already in service boats with such sections in nigh on impossible.

Modular design is the key i imagine.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Complexity, weight, cost. As deep as subs go, those pods would have to be subs in their own right.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Russia flubbed up pretty bad awhile ago, somewhere in the scandinavian area they were shooting a car commercial by the water and during editing they noticed a sub and the officials that looked at it said it was a new type of sub that russia is making.

it is a set of 3 THICK titanium spheres that can go DEEEEEEEEP, and it is made for messing with the fiber backbones on the bottoms of the ocean for tapping them or cutting them in the even of a war. If they were cut the US and EU would see MASSIVE service issues but like the NSA's prism program if they can get a splitter in line(not sure how they would do that without interrupting service) and they get ALL data that is transmitted across them...AMAZING amounts of information but with the NSA's little slip up people that have anything to hide now use PGP and other encryption.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

You should read some of our cable tapping missions. The word insane doesn't even begin to cover it. They'd sneak a boat into a Soviet harbor and place and remove a physical tap on a phone cable.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Sunk under order from the EU and colonial owner Spain, and the King of Spain, with likely help of the UK royals.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

Of course it was.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join