It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I met a flat earther...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

edit on 16-11-2018 by Jasona because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I met one once, attractive lady, friendly conversation and then bang
She said she believed in a flat earth and then a little spiel
She asked me what I thought and I said
I have seen enough evidence to,say it's round but I understood her argument and didn't blame her for having doubts

She then just walked off, nothing else, no more conversations just gone

It was like she was after an argument and when I didn't offer an argument she wasn't interested in talking
Go figure

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: metalman
I've met one, many moons ago.

Asking where the edge is, how they know it's there, and where their proof is that the edge exists stumped the f# out of them.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I just assume most of the members here are flat earthers these days.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

this knowledge has been polluted by # to the extent that reasonable people believe ridicules things.

Reasonable people have believed ridiculous things for thousands of years. The Flat-Earthers aren't by themselves by any stretch of the imagination. Fortunately, most of these beliefs die out over time. On the flip-side, some refuse to die, and continue fueling the chaos that defines our present civilization.

edit on 11/16/2018 by Klassified because: gwammar

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: metalman
he laid out how the earth is flat and gravity is a lie!

Did he float away chagrined?

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I dated a flat-earther for a couple of years. I didn't know she believed, I mean, truly believed the Earth was flat until some time into our relationship. I knew that she was religious, but the extent of her indoctrinated belief system wasn't fully apparently or I probably would have stayed away no matter how cute she looked in jeans...

I think that believing that the Earth is flat was a by-product of her evangelistic/born-again up-bringing and church-schooling. She was so convinced that Satan had everyone fooled into believing in stuff like dinosaurs and evolution, that believing Lucifer confounded us further by projecting a holographic sphere to hide the true flat Earth was not a stretch.

I really liked this woman, she was beautiful and kind, but our belief systems were too far apart for the relationship to work.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I guess you will tell me next that there is no Santa Claus ? Come on, everyone knows the earth is flat.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Like anything regarding opinions on politics, religion or the shape of the earth you can try educate, but people will hold steadfast in their biases and beliefs so much so they will perceive you as problematic to their paradigms.

I get more frustrated with myself when I respond anymore as there is no changing anyone.

Flat Earthers are are waste of energy, let them find their own way to circumnavigate the disc.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Oh trust me, there are a few.

There are people who make money promoting it, selling books, youtube videos, etc.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I like flat Earthers...I think they add a little flavor to this world. The only danger they present is that if you listen to them for long enough and aren't secure in your own beliefs, you'll start to believe them. I'm not too concerned about that.

They do present some interesting arguments that, if nothing else, will put a smile on your face...

Thanks!
blend

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

he laid out how the earth is flat and gravity is a lie!

Did he float away chagrined?

No, he was emailed an invisible gravity suit, free for everyone who applies.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Did you ask him if he has ever been high enough to actually see the curvature of the earth?

I have, and I am not talking about a recreational high.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Next time say Hollow Earth is the only true earth.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
A guy I once knew well quite some time ago was one of the top guys in a well know "society." It wasn't uncommon for us to bounce ideas off each other as far as theories go scientifically and conspiratorially. We would take turns being for or against certain things. We saw it as great exercise in debate and confidence. We used to get people believing in all kinds of ridiculous notions, and after the fact I would tell them that "everything we just discussed is bull#, or is it?" One night we were just hanging out having a few beers and we got on the topic of old stories from history such as witchcraft, outdated science, things that just wrote off as bunk well because of modern science. We both knew that people who don't have a solid grasp on logic, critical thinking, etc. are prone to believing things that are ridiculous.

Let me break real quick, and go on a tangent. I should mention that he was getting really into social engineering, and has made a fortune in the recent past from a multitude of things. Cryptocurrency as an example for obvious reasons.

He had made a hobby of trolling people back when the internet was still infantile. When social media took off, and #chans, reddit, and whatever sites started growing he was always one of the first members subtly and not so subtly doing his thing. Surprised as you may be a lot of the way things are, especially in the USA, were seeded and nurtured in these sites until they were propagated by memes and other means of social engineering. Certain emotionally charged individuals will attach to these memes and incorporate it into their being. Then, as nature takes its course we find ourselves in the state we are now.

Back to that night of drinking. He proposed a challenge, mostly to himself, in that he wanted to see how far he could take our little exercises. He said he had decided to make a push to get as many people as possible to reject modern science into believing that the world was flat. I asked why that one, and he laid out his plan and how to implement it.

He asked me to be a part of it. I rejected it. To me, our little devil advocates game was just for fun. I knew that he was really getting into being able to sway huge amounts of people into thinking all kinds of ridiculous things, but he was playing with fire and learning how to control it. I jested that TPTB had gotten to him, and he just laughed and told me the door is always open.

Shortly thereafter, my adventure of a life took me far and wide, and we lost contact. Every now and then I would see something on the news that reminded me of the guy. I just shook it off, and worried about my own life. It was unnerving though that a lot of the things we had talked about would show up in some form or fashion taking place in the news.

Well, fate one day brought us back together. There happened to be a certain "society" there holding a conference, and flat earth happened to be a part of it. I got in wondering if my old friend had any hand in this. So, a few people gave speeches. The speeches they gave were strong, would easily sway low-level eukaryotes, and reinforce the beliefs of people who already believed in it. Thinking to myself that I needed to be on my way and had already almost made it outside a hand grabbed me by the arm. I turned around and there was my old friend.

He asked my what I thought, and I told him the truth. The whole flat-earther thing still hadn't grown into the thing it is now, but I told him it was impressive that he had done what he had so far. I asked him why though. What does he get out of it. He said that he did all of it just because he could. It was fun for him. Most of the people involved in the early stages of promoting flat-earth don't actually believe in it. It was all just one big troll in the making. Fast forward to today and you've got masses of people who actually believe in it.

Before I left that event, my old friend had one last thing to say to me, and that was to remind me that the door was still open if I ever got bored of just living my life.

The world is the way it is today, because there are people out there who are too smart for their own good and are bored. The flat earth theory started as a challenge for a group of people who had way too much time on their hands. It ended up being a successful experiment.
edit on 16-11-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: Had two words switched around.

edit on 16-11-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: Took out an identifier.

edit on 16-11-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
I probably would have stayed away no matter how cute she looked in jeans...

I empathise completely with this statement, a fine figure in sexy jeans has led me astray several times against my better judgement.

And I'd probably do it again!.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   

a reply to: fightzone58

He said and I paraphrase " They say that you can see the curvature of the earth because thing disappear in the distance but... If you look through a telescope you can see further and further with a stronger scope" .

Reminds me of a mate who got stoned and asked, "If you can see the Moon, why can't we see China?" I said, "Coz it's round ya dick."

I've a mate who totally believes in Flat Earth and he isn't trolling. We can talk about everything else and keep FE out of bounds lol. The way I see it is it's like being a fan of obscure folk music...as long as they're not playing that # all day it doesn't matter.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Or letting them go up to the upper atmosphere.

This is the best option.

nonviolent.
Teaching.

All of humanity would be better off if we did this.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I run into a flat earther a while back and he asked me why it is that if a plane left western australia en route to London it would take 18 hours flying back into time but it would still take 18 hours to fly again in the opposite direction and flying the same way the earth rotates?

I said I dunno.Iideas or explanations anyone ?

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
I just assume most of the members here are flat earthers these days.

Are you kidding? No one on this site entertains the FE theory.

They are all too busy arguing about politics!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join