It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Police Force Anywhere In The World Should The British Police Emulate

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: bastion
Any cop doing the right thing will get backup in my corner of England, if a cop is in trouble then it's trouble.
The overwhelming majority of people think the same here.

Same here in rainy Lancashire, even had a guy running from police give himself up and offer first aid to an officer after he had poked his eye on a tree branch chasing him he felt so guilty - probaly saved his life, definitaley his eyesight. Very, very few are depraved enough to do wrong to a good cop

'It was only when the arrested man turned to him and said 'mate you've got to go to hospital' he realised the horrific extent of his injuries. PC Nash who'd only been in the force six days slipped while chasing an offender skewering his left eye on one of the branches.

The branch snapped off but the PC was oblivious to the pain and carried on the chase.

He kept reffering to my face and I said 'that doesn't matter - come on' I just thought I'd given myself a black eye.

'Somebody shouted 'get an ammbulance quick, he's got something in his eye' and I wondered if he was talking about me. I looked across with my right eye and noticed a stick coming out of my left eye and thought 'what the heck is that?'.

He later had three hours of surgery at Royal Blackburn Hospital to remove the stick. It had peirced his eye-lid, smashed his cheekbone, forced itself underneath his eyeball and come to rest against his brain.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk...

edit on 17-11-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I don't think we need to emulate any other country. The British Police Service has grown and adapted to the population that it serves.

Thankfully the service has changed dramatically since the 80's and 90's and mostly for the better. Things started to go downhill rapidly when senior managers were brought in who had never spent a day patrolling the streets in their lives.
As stated, many were managers, not Police officers in the true sense.

I do wonder why the OP asked his initial question in the OP headline but then went on to share links and pastes from Orgreave and the miners strike though as these are two separate issues.

What a lot of people don't realise is that in general, the Police Service nationwide is/ was generally extremely wasteful. Managers would often seriously manipulate and purposely overspend on various budgets to gain increased funding (particularly overtime) for the next financial year. This was common practice for many forces.

I seriously believe that there is currently more than enough funding for the Police Service to function correctly and efficiently. I believe it's the actions of senior officers who want to smack the government for cutting their budgets by effectively withdrawing services and response times, which in effect is holding the government to ransom.

They have no other way of expressing their disapproval as they are not allowed to strike.

There are of course so many other issues at play than just finances and the biggest losers here are of course the public and not the Government.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Perhaps you aren't understanding your position...

If you are fortunate enough to live in a picture post card town, with so few people in it that no serious organised criminal enterprises are operating on your doorstep, no gangs, no muggers, no burglars, no armed robbers, anywhere in your county, then that's great, and explains your preference for minimalist policing quite well. After all, if there is little crime where you are, why would you want or need more police?

Sounds perfectly reasonable... until you realise how statistically irrelevant ANY cross section of the broader population of Britain is, if they are in such a staggering minority as the one you occupy. Basing national policy on what goes on in Cornwall, would be the most fundamentally idiotic thing that any government, anywhere on this entire PLANET could consider doing, because Cornwall, entirely unlike practically every large, urban location where most people are actually living, has a totally unusual, village mentality to it as a whole. The number of people living in similar circumstances to that, in this country, is minimal, when compared with the vast, the overwhelming majority of the nation.

The rest of us live in towns and cities which are carved up between criminal enterprises, taking advantage of an exploited population, starved of joy and security by a government uncaring and absent any compassion or notion of a duty of care, ripe for plunder by criminal groups, seeking to corner markets in the manufacture and/or dealing of hard drugs,guns, stolen property including vehicles and spares for the same, as well as running theft gangs to provide the materials for that trade, mugging, and so on.

There would be no point in the rest of the nation being expected to tolerate your preferred level of policing, because none of the rest of us are living a life like yours. We are living lives like ours, where everything including the fabric of local and national government, seems designed for the express purpose of either ensuring that one starves to death, or is simply permitted to die in the street because no one wants to deal with the criminals appropriately, or in the case of Essex police, at all. What I am saying is, that your preferred policing level in Cornwall, means absolutely nothing in the wider UK, because there are problems in the rest of the country which clearly have not been effecting the Cornish in the slightest, and believe you me, I am happy for you all, living such a peaceful life. But its not like that ANYWHERE else of any statistical importance. Its not like that in Essex, its not like that in London, its not like that in Birmingham or Liverpool, or Manchester or any other place with a numerically relevant population.

Its like it is where I live, in more places, containing more people, by HUGE margins, than it ever is like it is where you live is what I am saying, so what you prefer in your relative paradise isn't really important on a national level.

edit on 19-11-2018 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
I'm only talking about what I like in my part of England, I didn't suggest it for the rest of the UK, you invented that.
Try reading my posts instead of fabricating hidden meanings behind them.
...and yes we have gangs here, traditional English as well as eastern Europeans who bring the guns in.

Everyone gets along because it ain't a #hole like Essex.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
There are many problems with the police in the UK.
From too few actually being on the beat and engaging with the people in the community through to an awful inability to leave stupid things be (such as those morons with the model of Grenfell tower).

One thing I will say though, is generally you can identify with most cops. They are part of the community and this is down in part to the fact they aren't all armed.

I never for one moment want to be pulled over in my car and wonder if I am going to be shot by some roid ragey, PTSD affected nut job with a gun like I have seen in so many videos of the US.

Here, the worst that will happen is you drive off a few minutes later thinking "What a wally" though usually (in my experience) I have thought "Whew, could have had 3 points on my licence there."

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
Agreed

Being arrested in the UK is like the least scary thing that can happen to you.
It was different in the 70's and 80's but now they are professional and mostly decent humans doing a difficult job. Most have a university degree in legal studies or whatever these days, but I can only speak for Devon & Cornwall, there is high demand to transfer here in police circles so we get the best.
I spoke to a cop last year who had transferred from the Met in London, said he applied over 10 times for positions before finally getting here.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I believe it. Back when I was on the railway, boxes like Parr, Lostwithiel, Truro etc were always popular in the vacancy lists. Everyone fancied a move down there even though they were going to be dropping a few grades.

Anyway, I think that there is more a sense of "policing by consent" here still, despite the recent militarisation of police.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
Devon & Cornwall constabulary haven't been recruiting in ages, they've been laying off officers or not replacing those who retired.
What people do is join the Met in London because they are always recruiting and it's easy to get in because their area is a #hole, serve a few years then try to transfer to nicer places like here.
I wouldn't change the cops in my parts, decent friendly and polite...and well outnumbered, only around 700 on patrol at any given time in the biggest constabulary in England dealing with 1 and a half million people in winter, you can almost double that population in summer when the tourists are here.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join