It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange ‘Has Been Charged,’ According to Justice Department Filing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Trump will pardon him... He's pardoned. Worst for less. Besides, he 'loves wikileaks'

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
The way you get to the truth is for Assange to grow some balls.

Doubtful he will ever grow some since he already grew 2 extra fingers.

Or is he a reptilian?

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Newsflash with Glenn Greenwald:

[...]
But the grand irony is that many Democrats will side with the Trump DOJ over the Obama DOJ. Their emotional, personal contempt for Assange – due to their belief that he helped defeat Hillary Clinton: the gravest crime – easily outweighs any concerns about the threats posed to press freedoms by the Trump administration’s attempts to criminalize the publication of documents.

This reflects the broader irony of the Trump era for Democrats. While they claim out of one side of their mouth to find the Trump administration’s authoritarianism and press freedom attacks so repellent, they use the other side of their mouth to parrot the authoritarian mentality of Jeff Sessions and Mike Pompeo that anyone who published documents harmful to Hillary or which have been deemed “classified” by the U.S. Government ought to go to prison.

During the Obama years, the notion that Assange could be prosecuted for publishing documents was regarded as so extreme and dangerous that even centrist media outlets that despised him sounded the alarm for how dangerous such a prosecution would be. The pro-national-security-state Washington Post editorial page in 2010, writing under the headline “Don’t Charge WikiLeaks,” warned:

Such prosecutions are a bad idea. The government has no business indicting someone who is not a spy and who is not legally bound to keep its secrets. Doing so would criminalize the exchange of information and put at risk responsible media organizations that vet and verify material and take seriously the protection of sources and methods when lives or national security are endangered.

TheIntercept

edit on 16-11-2018 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Guyfriday

He doesnt have Hillarys e mails. No one does. and the ones they did get from the DNC...have all been published already.

He will still have to state how he got them, who gave them up, and I'm wondering if this will be an excuse to push them all out there during the discovery phase of the investigation.

So yes, you are correct, even you van see where this is going to go.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Glenn Greenwald is a voice of reason.

The US government, more specifically the DOJ often proves to be the antithesis of that IMO.

While I hope he is right, I find it hard to believe the US will just look away on this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was leaked on purpose just to scare him in case things turn out well for him soon. Make him not want to leave his impromptu prison.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

a reply to: Guyfriday

He doesnt have Hillarys e mails. No one does. and the ones they did get from the DNC...have all been published already.

He will still have to state how he got them, who gave them up, and I'm wondering if this will be an excuse to push them all out there during the discovery phase of the investigation.

Why? He's not a US citizen, and could (should) fall under the realm of journalistic protections.

Wikileaks (love them or hate them) is one of the few outlets, if not the only one, who has put out 100% accurate information, they vet what they release.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Trump will pardon him... He's pardoned. Worst for less. Besides, he 'loves wikileaks'

Based off of what?

Recall that the DNC itself is currently suing WikiLeaks and Assange for publishing the DNC and Podesta emails they received: emails deemed newsworthy by literally every major media outlet, which relentlessly reported on them. Until this current Trump DOJ criminal prosecution of Assange, that DNC lawsuit had been the greatest Trump-era threat to press freedoms – because it seeks to make the publication of documents, which is the core of journalism, legally punishable. The Trump DOJ’s attempts to criminalize those actions is merely the next logical step in this descent into a full-scale attack on basic press rights.

THE ARGUMENTS JUSTIFYING the Trump administration’s prosecution of Assange are grounded in a combination of legal ignorance, factual falsehoods, and dangerous authoritarianism.
Link

Looks like Trump is going to continue Obama's tradition of authoritarianism and disregard for journalists who don't play ball and release classified material (which is legal).

The press knew this, it just wasn't popular to push. Obama set the stage for presidents to abuse power. He set the precedent and no one questioned it because he was so loved.

Here we are.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

They were obtained illegally through a criminal hacking of a private computer. I think he would be smart to say where he got them or he is charged with computer hacking.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

They were obtained illegally through a criminal hacking of a private computer. I think he would be smart to say where he got them or he is charged with computer hacking.

Journalists don't have to disclose sources.

Almost all classified documents are obtained illegally.

I noticed you're willing to defend Acosta, but why not Assange? Because he published something you don't like.

Rights don't work like that, it's all or nothing. I'll defend everyone's including yours. I don't pick and choose.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Assanage is not a journalist he's a hacktivist.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Im not defending anything but the constitution. I could care less about any individual reporter. But the freedom of the press I will defend. How 'bout you?

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Assange needs to leave the Ecuadorian Embassy, get processed for the outstanding arrest warrant in the UK (skipping bail), and then see what happens. If the US put in for an extradition then he'll just have to contest just like any other person. There is so much misinformation, diversion, myth and untruth that surrounds Assange, it's impossible to know the truth. The way you get to the truth is for Assange to grow some balls.

So when he first stated that if he left the embassy, America would get him, the haters were saying that was rubbish with no evidence to support this. Now we all know he was telling the the truth, the same people tell him to grow some balls! Haters will always hate!

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Australia?...are you kidding.
They won’t lift a figure to help him. They are one of the US’ most loyal allies.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Assanage is not a journalist he's a hacktivist.

He is a former hacker.

Wikileaks is a journalist outlet by definition.

The publish information. Just because it's unorthodox doesn't mean it doesn't fit the bill.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Im not defending anything but the constitution. I could care less about any individual reporter. But the freedom of the press I will defend. How 'bout you?

I always have. I've spoken out against governments abuse of power no matter the administration or individuals. How bout you?

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Azureblue

Australia?...are you kidding.
They won’t lift a figure to help him. They are one of the US’ most loyal allies.

He's successfully pissed most every western nation.

He's exposed many of them as has Snowden.

The bright side is for those who care and are watching, the world is exposing itself for its combined priorities, and the fact we have a long way to go for protecting our rights.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Lol.

Her views are like a revolving door.

It doesnt stop spinning.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

The Justice Department conceded to The Daily Beast and other outlets that Assange’s name was in the document as a result of an error

Why would the US charge him in secret ? , it would only jeopardise his extradition if he were to face the death penalty.

I favour cock-up over conspiracy here.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm surprised it took this long.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I'm surprised it took this long.

Yeah, cannot have these scociopaths looking like evil scumbags to the populations they have brainwashed and conditioned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join