It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broward, Palm Beach counties miss recount deadline

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
If we make voting mandatory, can we make other rights mandatory?

Like everyone has to own and carry a firearm?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

originally posted by: okrian

a reply to: okrian

What in God's name are you on about?

Try to keep up. We are talking about voting.

Manditory voting is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. If anything, there should be a test to verify that you know what you're voting for.

How authoritarian of you.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Manditory voting is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. If anything, there should be a test to verify that you know what you're voting for.

How authoritarian of you.

Knowledge is authoritarian now. Ok.

edit on 15-11-2018 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This right here, remove the letter before the names or just do away with parties all together. Then people have to vote based on policy, or as was said in another thread, the person with the coolest name...

Which leads me to another point, if you have a voting holiday and mandatory voting, then you also need mandatory civics classes to ensure that the populace is educated on their voting rights. You would have to guarantee a minimum level of competency in order to vote, otherwise it would be chaos.

All candidates must list policies, and then the ramifications of their policies such as; We will lower taxes, but not cut spending thus inflating the deficit. We will give a universal basic income for all, but the top 75% will have increased taxes and not be eligible for the benefit.

Works for both sides of the coin really.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: xuenchen

Voter ID is really needed.

Just get that done and the Democrats lose 8% of the vote or so... everywhere.

S&F...

National voting holiday and mandatory voting is really needed. Just get that done and the Repubs never win another election.

So you want to turn a right into a mandate and a dictate.

My.

How authoritarian.

Uh, you realize that voting is the opposite of authoritarian right?

Unless you force them to vote.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I'm saying authoritarian dumbasses will buy their way into leadership in the nation, as they have in California, Illinois, New York, Vermont, etc if we enact compulsory voting. What idiot wants the apathetic and lazy voting? Oh, never mind that question, actually, it's already been answered here.

What exactly does mandatory voting have to do with corruption in politics? I'm for all corporate money out of politics. We both know it's rampant on both sides. Certainly not more symptomatic of the dems over the repubs.

So in your mind, we should create less access to voting? Cause that doesn't sound american in the slightest.
Am I to assume that you'd also be against a national holiday for voting?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick
This right here, remove the letter before the names or just do away with parties all together. Then people have to vote based on policy, or as was said in another thread, the person with the coolest name...

Which leads me to another point, if you have a voting holiday and mandatory voting, then you also need mandatory civics classes to ensure that the populace is educated on their voting rights. You would have to guarantee a minimum level of competency in order to vote, otherwise it would be chaos.

All candidates must list policies, and then the ramifications of their policies such as; We will lower taxes, but not cut spending thus inflating the deficit. We will give a universal basic income for all, but the top 75% will have increased taxes and not be eligible for the benefit.

Works for both sides of the coin really.

I used to live in a county that made it illegal to put party affiliation on the ballots. I thought that was a great idea. I think it should be nationwide.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

This is actually active voter suppression of GOP voters by Broward County.

I hope to god someone goes to jail or meets some street justice over this intentional attempt to disenfranchise voters.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

S&F...

Voter Id is the law in Florida.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

S&F...

Wow, crazy really does come out of Florida. Only in this case, it's a good crazy.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

S&F...

Then why don't they follow it?

See... absentee ballots... the hot steaming loophole.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

You had me at hot steaming...

I've never understood why there isn't more stringent rules for absentee ballots. I know we don't want to infringe on peoples rights, but special circumstances are special circumstances, and they call for special rules.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

It would probably be a good idea for you to avoid any assumptions where I'm concerned because you'll usually be wrong with them. You who sprayed the "It's all black and white with you people" around the room like an epileptic fireman trying to quench a fire at a rave back on page one just became the first person in the thread to display true absolutism of stances. No, just because I think your idea of compulsory voting is an idiotic one, that doesn't mean I want less access to voting. I'm fully in support of a national holiday on election day, and to go along with that elimination of vote by mail... you want to vote? Go to the polls on election day and vote, period, no exceptions. Setup a poll system for active military and their families to vote, otherwise no exceptions.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Burddude knocking it out if the park. I like the idea of a national voting holiday with the trade off of no absentee voting. I'm sure there'd be problems, but it's a start.

BTW, I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating any restrictions to voting. Let's not take that low road, on either side. Please? Can we all agree on that?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I'm saying authoritarian dumbasses will buy their way into leadership in the nation, as they have in California, Illinois, New York, Vermont, etc if we enact compulsory voting. What idiot wants the apathetic and lazy voting? Oh, never mind that question, actually, it's already been answered here.

What exactly does mandatory voting have to do with corruption in politics? I'm for all corporate money out of politics. We both know it's rampant on both sides. Certainly not more symptomatic of the dems over the repubs.

So in your mind, we should create less access to voting? Cause that doesn't sound american in the slightest.
Am I to assume that you'd also be against a national holiday for voting?

There are a couple of counties in Florida that are going to need about a month off.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The fact of something being mandatory alludes to some kind of penalty for non-compliance. Please tell me, what happens when I say go # yourself and refuse to vote?? What is my penalty??

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

That's rich coming from you.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

So you're saying lazy people vote Democrat?

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

As Broward showed us election laws aren't followed by all.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I like the idea of a national voting holiday with the trade off of no absentee voting. I'm sure there'd be problems, but it's a start.

I love the idea too. In addition to absentee, I'd also eliminate early voting, with one possible exception. If someone can prove (show an airline itinerary? file an affidavit?) that they will be out of town on election day, they are allowed to vote early.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join