It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple, Homeless Man Charged in Charitable Scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Authorities say a New Jersey couple and a homeless man made up a "feel good" story about the man helping them so they could raise money through an online fundraiser.

Burlington County prosecutors outlined the allegations against Mark D'Amico, Katelyn McClure and Johnny Bobbitt on Thursday. All three are charged with theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception.
nytimes.com

Remember this story from last year? She ran out of gas on the highway, homeless man used his last $20 to help her out, she set up a GoFundMe page to help him out and then she and her boyfriend spent $400,000 in donations, got sued by the homeless man for not giving him money as promised?

Well, the whole thing was a lie from the start. Her car never broke down, the homeless man never gave her $20. It was all made up and all three are now arrested.

“Less than an hour after the GoFundMe campaign went live McClure, in a text exchange with a friend, stated that the story about Bobbitt assisting her was fake,” Coffina said. “Specifically, she wrote,

‘Ok so wait the gas part is completely made up, but the guy isn’t. I had to make something up to make people fell bad, so shush about the made up stuff.’ “
people.com

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

Authorities say a New Jersey couple and a homeless man made up a "feel good" story about the man helping them so they could raise money through an online fundraiser.

Burlington County prosecutors outlined the allegations against Mark D'Amico, Katelyn McClure and Johnny Bobbitt on Thursday. All three are charged with theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception.
nytimes.com

Remember this story from last year? She ran out of gas on the highway, homeless man used his last $20 to help her out, she set up a GoFundMe page to help him out and then she and her boyfriend spent $400,000 in donations, got sued by the homeless man for not giving him money as promised?

Well, the whole thing was a lie from the start. Her car never broke down, the homeless man never gave her $20. It was all made up and all three are now arrested.

“Less than an hour after the GoFundMe campaign went live McClure, in a text exchange with a friend, stated that the story about Bobbitt assisting her was fake,” Coffina said. “Specifically, she wrote,

‘Ok so wait the gas part is completely made up, but the guy isn’t. I had to make something up to make people fell bad, so shush about the made up stuff.’ “
people.com

Vast majority of these types of stories are BS. Anyone who has spent any amount of time around "homeless" know how the scams are run, etc.

It is amazing that GoFundMe hasn't been shut down yet because of all the fraud. The other thing that kills me is people still haven't figured out that your text message and emails are retrievable....

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

What is the likely penalty? Probation, paying back the money and paying some fines? I understand the couple bought vehicles and went on vacations with the money as well, is that true?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

GoFundMe guarantees all money in case of fraud. If they cannot recover it from the scammers, they pay for it themselves. Everyone is always paid back.

You can't avoid people being people but you can run a good model like that and be fair. Probably the reason they are still up and running, even with humans being liars and cheats that they can be.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

What is the likely penalty? Probation, paying back the money and paying some fines?

No idea. I did not see that mentioned. And I'm usually for no long prison sentences for non-violent crimes but this seems like a good one to use as an example. Especially as an example for the newer generations who seem to be getting less parenting and have no concept of morality.

2-5yrs behind bars and pay it all back. Then plaster the story ALL OVER the social media and social media youth uses more.

edit on 15-11-2018 by Mahogany because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I was just disgusted when I read that.. I also think that there are a lot of gullible people that give their money away way too easily.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Our Society has hit a new low... 3rd world low

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   

If they were wealth and they did this; people would be saying; ah well, business is business.

new topics

top topics

join