It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ODB Would've Turned 50 Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Russell Tyrone Jones, or Old Dirty Bastard, as he is better known to his fans around the world, would have turned 50 years old today. Thought we could take a moment to raise a glass in honor of Ol Dirty, one crazy and enigmatic hip hop great.

ODB, along with his cousins RZA and GZA created the group “Force of the Imperial Master”, later “All in Together Now” which was the original backbone of Wu Tang. The rest is history.

Ol Dirty is known to his fans by his grimy, dirty lyrics and his flow which he half sings half raps. He's about as "un PC" as you can get. He had a certain levity about him which made his work a lot of fun to listen to. He's also kind of known for his general craziness and for the unfortunate drug habit which proved his ultimate demise. He died 2 days before his 36th birthday, after an erratic performance in Fort Collins, CO. It’s a shame this awful habit had such a hold on him, he wanted out.

A story I like to remember ODB by is that in February, 1998, while he was in a recording session, he saw an accident out the window in which a little girl was pinned under a car. He and his friends rushed to her aid and lifted the car off of the girl, saving her life. A few days later he visited her in the hospital, never giving his true identity (the girl’s parents knew him though.)
www.mtv.com...
A few days later ODB did this at the Grammys. It was such a wonderful moment in hip hop.

So all that to say, let’s take a moment out to remember ODB on what would have been his 50th birthday.

RIP to the grimiest… ODB. Respect.
11/15/1968-11/13/2004

edit on 15-11-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Oh yeah. Only clicked because I didn't know what the acronym was and was curious.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I remember him pulling up to a store in a big ass caddie, wearing tons of gold and a big fur coat and using food stamps.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Yeah he was super crazy and extravagant.

Lots about him as a public figure which is why it's so fascinating he'd go to the hospital anonymously after saving that girl.

I really respect him for that.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
ODB was one of the greats. He really had a unique flow and rhyme style. You immediately knew who was spitting on a joint. Back in the day, ODB seemed crazy, but the reality was he was a musical genius now that I look back on it...

Wu Tang had some seriously lyrical MCs who were all super serious about their craft. In a way, ODB kind of balanced out the seriousness / technical lyricism of the other members. He brought much needed fun and levity to the group.

My favorite ODB bar... "Jacques Cousteau could never get this low..."

Edit: By the way, this is the 25th Anniversary of Wu Tang's 36 Chambers which would be considered a top 5 hip hop album of all time on any true hip hop heads list, but probably one of the best albums of any musical genre.
edit on 15-11-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
OP made me go and listen to Brooklyn Zoo. A comment on the video that really summed up ODB:

"One of the most complex, and erratic flows I've ever heard. He's said to have been the least lyrically gifted out of any Wu artist, but that in itself says a lot about the vast talent of Wu-Tang. It's amazing how intellectually stimulating such simple lyrics can be, when they are constructed and executed in an abstract way. Essentially this is urban abstract art"

edit on 15-11-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Welfare fraud... Glorifying sex trafficking... Real classy guy.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Welfare fraud... Glorifying sex trafficking... Real classy guy.

Do you hold all artists to the same standard? Many of the best artists have a ton of dirt in their backgrounds. I try to separate their talent from any moral and character judgments.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Edit: By the way, this is the 25th Anniversary of Wu Tang's 36 Chambers which would be considered a top 5 hip hop album of all time on any true hip hop heads list, but probably one of the best albums of any musical genre.

Cool, did not know this!!

I agree with you, I just love ODBs flow. I liked GZA best lyrically (maybe) Meth had marketability and charisma, RZA was a brilliant producer, Ghost turned out to be the most prolific and Rae put out the dopest album! (imo) Love some WU!!

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Plus this person seems hesitant to address the redeeming and honorable aspects of ODBs complicated character.

I hate to say it, but many people today would probably pull out their cellphones if they saw and accident like that. Either way, where were all of the spectators to save the girl? It took the "welfare fraud" to spot it and rush down from a building above to help.

Team ODB

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
nobody realistically expected him to live to 50.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Cool, did not know this!!

I agree with you, I just love ODBs flow. I liked GZA best lyrically (maybe) Meth had marketability and charisma, RZA was a brilliant producer, Ghost turned out to be the most prolific and Rae put out the dopest album! (imo) Love some WU!!

I love them all. They truly were an All Star team with not a weak member in the group. I'd consider Raekwon the most technically gifted imho. RZA's production is other worldly. Definitely one of my favorite beat makers of all time. I have a soft spot for U-God though. I've always loved his verses... his deep voice and clear enunciation reminds me of some the greats from the 80s who had radio voices... his bars were also really clever.

From chez chez la ghost.... "Slim doo doo makers stuffed inside pajamas..."

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Now those are some kinda teeth!!

I guess I'm old school and more into K. Nordeen.
edit on 15-11-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Not for everyone, I'm sure.

We can always agree on some soul!

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

"One of the most complex, and erratic flows I've ever heard. He's said to have been the least lyrically gifted out of any Wu artist, but that in itself says a lot about the vast talent of Wu-Tang. It's amazing how intellectually stimulating such simple lyrics can be, when they are constructed and executed in an abstract way. Essentially this is urban abstract art"

Man I really like this quote too. Thanks for posting

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Cuban Linx II features this tribute track with a J Dilla sample.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I was young punk kid, my friends were skateboarding, they listening to 36 Chambers.

Next thing I know I'm hooked and OBD is that rawest mofo in the group.

Made me a fan for life.

IDGAF WHERE YOU BE MUTHA#A

WHERE YOU RESIDE

HOW YOU LIVE

HOW YOU SEEEEEEEEE

Then I get Rudy with the Hong Kong Phoo'

Ol Dirty Bastard, MC killer

Money maker, Brooklyn, Shaolin style

That I lay down like tile, then I get higher

top topics

join