It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much can someone's physical appearance change your initial perception?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think we all know that physical appearance invokes an immediate perception on someone. Whether that be that we'd be more open to someone, or more guarded, I think we can all relate. For instance, if it's a dark night and you're walking down an iffy area, if you walk past a woman I doubt you're feeling anxious. However, if you walk bast a big guy who is trying to keep everything covered, you may have apprehension and make sure you have heightened senses.

I think we could all agree to those parameters as a control or baseline for the most part, obviously we can't speak in absolutes, but for the most part I think most agree that fits.

Now, can someone who we all know and have already formed our opinion about them change their appearance and at least briefly catch us off guard in terms of re-evaluating them?

This happened earlier as I was surfing around reddit. And to use an example that we all know, I'll use Trump. Please don't turn this into a political topic, this is purely a question on if physical appearance can change preconceived notions, at least briefly.

First lets start with a neutral control, and then we will move to the digitally altered picture.

So personal emotion aside (positive/negative, we likely know), do you think you would have at least for a short time some sort of shell shock to re-evaluate your feelings just because of appearance change?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It's all in the eyes.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
orange man is bad

but bald orange man is a bad @ss

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

It's all in the eyes.

So true.
You can gauge the mood of a complete stranger walking by you on the street by the eyes.

I fell in love with my wife after making eye contact the first time we met. So much emotion and intellegence just from the eyes and my reptilian brain didnt even bother to check out her other "attributes" after it made up its mind.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Beard and mustache = rapist.

This is common knowledge.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Trump with hair on head looks like a grandpa,
trump without hair looks very creepy. The weird thing about the mustache and beard is that he
looks a lot more ethnic too!

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Beard and mustache = rapist.

This is common knowledge.

Welp, that sucks for me.

I got's me a gnarly beard and stach goin on right now haha.

Time to get an app with digital consent forms to protect myself.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

In the right hand picture he actually looks like a guy about to embark upon a new career in an RV meth lab.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It would help me tremendously.....he looks much more approachable and dare I say "reasonable" in the second picture.

ETA....I'm not implying that I believe him to be unreasonable now...I've had no personal dealings with him to know how I would view him.
edit on 15-11-2018 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

In the right hand picture he actually looks like a guy about to embark upon a new career in an RV meth lab.

Trump's face is entirely too smooth to pull off a Mr. White. Actually when you look at him like this, he looks pretty good for a 70yr old!

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Bald Trump looks bad ass and ALOT like Dennis Hopper

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Trump as he is in his awful hair etc.. is turnout, someone you do not really want to know.
Trump with bear and without hair is more approachable looking and eyes in that face even it is a same look more caring when same eyes look with hair more cold and calculating.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

In the picture with his regular hair, I get the sense that Trump is only pretending to be paying attention, when he doesn't actually understand. The beard gives me the impression that he's actually comprehending what he's being told, and actively reconciling it with his frame of reference.

On the left, we have Trump the fool. On the right, Trump the philosopher.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
He looks so much better in the second pic, the current way he combs over his dyed blonde has always looked awful.

Maybe if he looked like the second pic, his narcissism wouldn’t seem as noticeable.
I wonder if he’d be less of an ass if he looked like more of a bad ass? 🤔

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Now, can someone who we all know and have already formed our opinion about them change their appearance and at least briefly catch us off guard in terms of re-evaluating them?

Yes, celebrities and popular musicians have been doing this for many DECADES to GREAT effect.

Not sure where you think the mystery is... this sorta feels like a thinly veiled attempt to berate the POTUS on his looks.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

I don't think it is to berate or demean him in any way. I think it shows how much something like hair or lack of, or facial hair can change your view on someone, either positively or negatively.

I think it is just accepted with actors/musicians, but to see it done to a politician is quite interesting.
Just look at the photo below, nothing is even altered, just with headdress and without and it almost looks like two different people!

edit on 15-11-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Right: Death to America.

Left: Thank you, come again.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
of course appearance (no matter who we are, and what we would like to think about ourselves),forms an immediate perception of someone. that is all a part of being a human. humans have bias built in. this bias may be the result of personal experience, or even training. it could even be the experience of others passed onto a person. but it is a fact of life, one that is inescapable. and humans are not at all alone in this, animals have the exact same thing. like my friend's old dog, any male it saw wearing a jacket and hat it would completely freak out at, non stop. but as soon as you removed the hat and jacket, it was fine. we figure that it must have been abused by a male wearing a hat and jacket, that left a lasting bias towards the same. this is why i tend to laugh whenever someone tries to say they have no racism or anything like that. because to be so would actually mean that they are a mindless automation.

in fact one of the stupidest sayings we even have is "don't judge a book by it's cover". we quite literally can not help but to do so. i read a lot of books. and guess what, a large part of my selecting of a book is in fact based upon the cover. i'm sure that every publisher even takes the fact that the cover is indeed one of the most important aspects of making a book that will sell. that they actually spend a lot of time and energy making sure that a book's cover is one that will appeal to the targeted reader. the title is also of immense importance. even the author can be important. since these are the only real things that someone has to use to judge whether or not they will buy this book, or another one.

the fact is that ALL judgements and decisions about absolutely everything is based on bias. and things like what a person looks like, as a part of what we think about them, is just a normal part of the human, indeed animal condition. one that there is no escape from.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

I actually select books by the book reviews and the cover is of interest to me only in an artisan sense, nothing more. But it is interesting how our biases fade away when we view a picture of a person smiling as opposed to having a serious facial expression.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Yes, celebrities and popular musicians have been doing this for many DECADES to GREAT effect.

Not sure where you think the mystery is... this sorta feels like a thinly veiled attempt to berate the POTUS on his looks.

Could you not agree he is a very polarized figure?

If I was attempting to thinly veil this as a low blow I wouldn't have framed the OP to ask participants to simply answer the question with emotions an politics aside.

I think I kept it neutral and picked fair pictures.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join