It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant meteorite crater bigger than Paris found beneath Greenland’s ice sheet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
If you’re familiar with Dr. Robert Schoch’s Solar-induced Dark Age theory then this discovery may pique your interest.

I personally believe advanced civilization existed prior to the ancient Egyptians, prior to the end of the last ice age, as evidenced by the weathering of the Sphinx, discoveries like Göbekli Tepe and much more.

But what happened to that ancient culture?What happened between that era and the rise of ancient Egyptians and ‘modern civilization’?

Impact could have 'drastically altered the climate and led to serious consequences for life on Earth at the time', scientists say.

Could this meteorite have caused that dark age?

While this is not a solar-induced discovery, could it explain what caused an advanced civilization to retreat to darkness, knowledge lost over time, only to emerge and start all over again on top of the ruins of former glory like Göbekli? (Incidentally, Göbekli has evidence of later civilization’s repair work, not quite up to par w their ancestors but clearly a strong effort to preserve something important to them).

We just have to wait for confirmation on when this crater was made. Scientists say it could have been as recent as 12,000 years ago, putting it in the time and place to answer that question.

However, they say it could’ve happened as late as 3 MILLION years ago. The conspiracy buff in me thinks that’ll probably be what’s discovered, otherwise it could possibly help push back on the status quo of history.

edit on 14-11-2018 by CajunMetal because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-11-2018 by CajunMetal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Even if it was three million years ago, an advanced hominid race could have been on earth, in that amount of time almost all traces of them would be gone. We have found some weird artifacts actually imbeded in rock and coal. These beings could have been a completely different species than humans, we are probably not the first advanced race of beings on this planet in millions or billions of years, most of our present advancement happened in the last three thousand years, how many three thousand year periods have their been in the last billion years?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CajunMetal

It is a fascinating discovery leading to many interesting rabbit holes. I also made a thread just before I went to sleep last night (Europe):

Only 12,000 Years Ago A Meteor Impact Created A 19 Miles Wide Crater In Greenland

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:36 AM
link   
It makes me wonder about those flood myths. Every culture has the same story with one man and his family being warned about a massive flood about to strike the region, and that he should built a giant ark:

slideplayer.com...

There are over 500 legends from across the world from different cultures, but they all have the same theme. The one group that has all the checkpoints are the Babylonians/Sumatrans. So
www.skepticink.com...

Could this have caused a massive tsunami?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It seems to have been a hit on land but that might prove to be elusive.

www.nationalgeographic.org...

www.abc.net.au...

Coal takes a lot longer than 3 million years to form.

It will be interesting to see how many people try to make this find into the device to 'destroy' the invisible civilization - we'll have to wait to see if it is possible to date the crater (by drilling down and determining how old the ice pack above it is and the age of the rocks - that will be a major task.

If a civilization was on that specific spot then yeah it would have taken a hit but much of present day 'evidence' for this invisible civilization is thousands of kilometers from that location and oddly enough no sign of the past invisible civilization can be found.
edit on 15/11/18 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I don't see how a meteor strike in Greenland would cause a tsunami in the middle east region.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I don't see how a meteor strike in Greenland would cause a tsunami in the middle east region.

When Krakatoa went up the tidal surge/tsunami from that was noted in the English Channel. The problem of course is that over distance the size of the wave shrinks - there is a formula for that. Of course it appears to hit land so the point is moot.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I wonder how they corosponde to the meteor/comet strikes observed in Canada from the Young Dryas timeframe? Are there other impacts from that same time frame around the globe?

It seems possible we had a huge series of impacts around that time frame and multiple civilizations seem to point back to that time frame as a marker of some extreme event.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

It's more that during the end of the last ice age, there might have been impacts that speeded up the melting greatly. It might not have been a tsunami but centuries of continuous flooding of coastal and lowlaying regions that would have caused mass migrations.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

It seems possible we had a huge series of impacts around that time frame and multiple civilizations seem to point back to that time frame as a marker of some extreme event.

They do? Evidence please

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Beat me to the post darnit!!!! You guys are quick.

I can see a couple of advanced ancient culture deniers---or rather Hans specifically (no disrespect meant in the moniker--I appreciate your dedication to answering half though postulations)--SO--my musings:

I don't really see us doing anything so insanely amazing that it couldn't have been duplicated in the past. Even with flight. While I believe we are the first human into space, everything else I see on this planet I see as something that could have reasonably been done before.

I try to avoid any kind of mythology that speaks to crystals or magic or any extraterrestrial influences but it seems like after planet X being laughed at for years the scientific theory on it is out there now with recent discoveries in space. It seems to be that the huge die off in earths creatures around 11-13K years ago was caused by something and the YD impact theory certainly seems plausible.

So it just seems to me that the evidence is mounting that earth was more populated than thought in the past, that cities and cultures were advanced beyond what has traditionally been accepted in science. It seems like some of the "myths" from different cultures about worldwide destruction destroying a sophisticated cultures is highly probable even as it has been highly romanticized.
edit on pm30Thursdaypm113000064pm by atlantiswatusi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex

It is a fascinating discovery leading to many interesting rabbit holes. I also made a thread just before I went to sleep last night (Europe):

Only 12,000 Years Ago A Meteor Impact Created A 19 Miles Wide Crater In Greenland

I only saw it this morning, didn’t look hard enough before I posted, sorry! Great minds...

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

It would have effectively flooded all coastal lying areas. Which happen to be, where humans settle, for the most part in fact.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: atlantiswatusi
So it just seems to me that the evidence is mounting that earth was more populated than thought in the past, that cities and cultures were advanced beyond what has traditionally been accepted in science.

So where is this "mounting evidence"? So far I see no evidence of this "advanced civilisation" just speculation and innuendo.

Speculation is certainly mounting - welcome to the internet!

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lightdhype

It would have effectively flooded all coastal lying areas.

No, it struck on land. It wouldn’t have flooded anything beyond local ice melt.

Which happen to be, where humans settle, for the most part in fact.

Not really a fact at all. Humans like to drink fresh water. Inland rivers like Sumerian in the Fertile Crescent between the Tigris and Euphrates. Indus Valley civ NW India/SW Pakistan, earlier PPN sites like Catalhoyuk and Gobleki Tepe (tepe means hill) are all a fair way inland and not coastal. The closest you can get to coastal in the major early civs is Egypt and that’s only because the Nile empties into the Mediterranean so they would be the most susceptible of the early sites, to flooding from a Tsunami.

Even during the late Pleistocene, the vast majority of sites are well inland where there was plenty of fresh water and bountiful Forrest’s for hunting.

Unfortunately for the hypothesis you propose, there’s nothing in the geological data supporting it. The magnitude of what you are implying would leave unmistakable evidence in the geologic record and Egypt is one of the most widely dug and studied areas of the world. Even at 12ka, 20ka or 20ma, the evidence of the degree of flooding being postulated in a vacuum of evidence would be very clearly evident.

It’s great to come up with all variety of possibilities. In science though, the currency of the day is facts, not conjecture or supposition. There aren’t any facts to support what you believe. Yes, there are many coastal sites and cultures who relied on fishing and collecting mollusks from the ocean. I don’t dispute that. But your claim that most human settlements are coastal is not accurate.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: atlantiswatusi

Something really spooky is the 3500 year long cycle of the Altamira Climate flips, coinciding with the estimated arrivals of Nibiru into our inner Solar system. So, fourteen thousand years ago, one of these Nibiru crossings could easily have jarred a large asteroid out of the Oort cloud, and it wandered into Earth's Orbit around two thousand years later. Cause and effect!
WSU Geologist R. Fryxel hired a cat skinner to link the Marmes Rockselter's stratigraphy to the Palouse River bed, in order to clinch the Altamira track all the way back from Spain to the Palouse Prairie. In the process, he stumbled upon the remains of Marmes Man, resting in the side of the Cat's excavation trench.

The last flip was around 1500 years B.C., about the time of the eruption of Thera in the Mediterranean which dovetails with Moses using the pillar of fire and smoke to navigate away from Goshen. Bottom line, pardon the pun, is that we don't know what is happening under our feet in the Earth's Core. If a dwarf star is now approaching the Sun, in a Perihelion orbit, anything could start happening. These Altamira flips seem to take from 150 to 300 years to complete. In the last 1500 years of the present flip, climates have evened out some. Close to the flips, the Earth's climates go Warmer and wetter, or Cooler and drier. We are coming to the end of the last, "Cooler and drier" flip. But modern climates are pretty well in Equilibrium, around the planet. The last flip has come back to near normal, albeit the Classical Warm period of Classical Greece and the Roman Republic, were still warmer than the present day temps.

These warmer climes came to a screeching halt in 450 AD, and then 530 AD, with two mighty eruptions of Krakatau in the Sunda Straits. One or more Icelandic volcanoes may have also contributed to their dark skies in Europe. One Asiatic tribe after another got froze out of the Steppes,m and collided with the Byzantines, until the Seljuk Turks finally finished them off. Each onslaught, weakened the Byzantines, and then the Turks employed four large muzzleloading cannons to breach their walls, laid down by Constantine the Great. Prof. Lowenstein, of the YVO is working at finding the full extents of both the 450 and 530 AD eruptions, on the world's climates. So, here we are, waiting for the next Altamira Climate Flip, and whatever else is coming towards our little Planet.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: atlantiswatusi

It seems to be that the huge die off in earths creatures around 11-13K years ago was caused by something and the YD impact theory certainly seems plausible.

So it just seems to me that the evidence is mounting that earth was more populated than thought in the past, that cities and cultures were advanced beyond what has traditionally been accepted in science. It seems like some of the "myths" from different cultures about worldwide destruction destroying a sophisticated cultures is highly probable even as it has been highly romanticized.

No such 'mounting' is taking place what IS taking place is more and more fringe believers are making more and more claims. I would note that the crater could be from 3 million to 12,000 years old - we'll have to wait until they gather more evidence.

While a large amount of the large beast died out they all didn't - see elephants in Africa and Asia and mammoths lasting until 4,000 BC off the coast of N. America. The 'die off' while real was also spread over thousands of years.

It will be kewl to see when that monster came in and did the 'splat'.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

originally posted by: Lightdhype

It would have effectively flooded all coastal lying areas.

No, it struck on land. It wouldn’t have flooded anything beyond local ice melt.

Which happen to be, where humans settle, for the most part in fact.

Not really a fact at all. Humans like to drink fresh water. Inland rivers like Sumerian in the Fertile Crescent between the Tigris and Euphrates. Indus Valley civ NW India/SW Pakistan, earlier PPN sites like Catalhoyuk and Gobleki Tepe (tepe means hill) are all a fair way inland and not coastal. The closest you can get to coastal in the major early civs is Egypt and that’s only because the Nile empties into the Mediterranean so they would be the most susceptible of the early sites, to flooding from a Tsunami.

Even during the late Pleistocene, the vast majority of sites are well inland where there was plenty of fresh water and bountiful Forrest’s for hunting.

Unfortunately for the hypothesis you propose, there’s nothing in the geological data supporting it. The magnitude of what you are implying would leave unmistakable evidence in the geologic record and Egypt is one of the most widely dug and studied areas of the world. Even at 12ka, 20ka or 20ma, the evidence of the degree of flooding being postulated in a vacuum of evidence would be very clearly evident.

It’s great to come up with all variety of possibilities. In science though, the currency of the day is facts, not conjecture or supposition. There aren’t any facts to support what you believe. Yes, there are many coastal sites and cultures who relied on fishing and collecting mollusks from the ocean. I don’t dispute that. But your claim that most human settlements are coastal is not accurate.

Good answer

Look at the Jutland coast shell middens which go from 4,000 to 10,000 years ago .The oldest shell middens in the world are about 140,000 years old, from the Middle Stone Age of South Africa, at sites like Blombos Cave.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yeah that 'fact' about people living on the coast was made up by Hancock wasn't it, or was i Bauval? He needed a reason why no one can find his proposed ancient civilization - so he placed them on the coast and made them dumber than dirt and in his imagination they sat there as the sea slowly rose up over them - and they never ventured inland.....over thousands of years - just stayed in a narrow coastal strip - and also didn't go anywhere.

top topics

join