It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Congo Ambush Leaves Nine Soldiers Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Early this morning, nine UN peacekeepers from Bangladesh were killed during an ambush in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Early reports suggest that the troops were ambushed by "unidentified armed elements" while on patrol. Among those killed were Bangladeshis patroling a camp housing civilians who had fled fighting in the region...

news.bbc.co.uk
"These blue helmets were out there protecting people and they got ambushed while doing it."

Ituri has been the scene of bitter ethnic fighting for a number of years.

Violence between rival militias resumed in the mineral-rich province in December, and aid workers say tens of thousands of people have been displaced by the fighting - many fleeing to neighbouring Uganda. UN forces have come under attack in Ituri before, but this is the first time that soldiers have been killed there, says the BBC's correspondent in the region, Ishbel Matheson.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If you're not up-to-date on the Congo's history, you might want to check this out:
www.facts.com...
www.hartford-hwp.com...

Very similar to Mexico's historical attempts at having a steady governing power....Rife with civil war and guerilla combat...

*sniff sniff*....Do I smell Bush lurking around the corner? Naaah.....There's no oil in the Congo, right??

Another related article of intrest to those with conspiracies on the mind??
www.minesandcommunities.org...

The failure of both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush to express even the most perfunctory regret over the assassination of Congo President Laurent Désiré Kabila last year, betrays how implicated Washington is in this latest outrage against the most important country in central Africa.
The U.S. media are today blaming Kabila for failing to bring peace to the Congo. This is a monstrous charge, since Washington is largely responsible for the war that has crushed the Congolese people's hopes for a better life since the overthrow of dictator Mobutu Sese Seko. The Congo government has been trying to expel Rwandan and Ugandan troops that invaded eastern Congo in August 1998. The U.S. has secretly supported them and their occupation of this area of fabulous mineral wealth.

Makes ya wonder....

Your thoughts?

Related News Links:
www.voanews.com
story.news.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
New World Economics, Colonialism, and UN influence

[edit on 25-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Maybe it doesn't "make ya wonder"....

What the hell do I know?

Come on people....YOUR thoughts....
...That's what this post is here for......

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
My immediate thought is that the ambush was retaliation for all of the sexual crimes that the U.N. Peacekeepers have been committing over the last several years in the congo.

After seeing the special on 20/20 or Dateline a few weeks ago it's hard for me to have any respect for the Peacekeepers over there but even so, it's sad that they were ambushed and lives were lost.

Jemison

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Okay.....I'm sorry to use this thread as a complaint forum, but this is the second time this has occurred - The U2U I recv'd came from a generic account that I cannot reply to, so I'm using this as my outlet...

Where is the bias?? Honestly.....There's not an ounce of bias in my title or my intro, but I got a U2U telling me to fix "it" without clearly identifying what "it" is and without giving me the option to discuss "it" with someone....

I'll be happy to fix whatever has been misconstrued as bias, but I need to know what it IS first to do that....I know what bias is and what it means....I don't see that anywhere except in my comments, where it has been addressed multiple times we are allowed to place it.....

????

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

My immediate thought is that the ambush was retaliation for all of the sexual crimes that the U.N. Peacekeepers have been committing over the last several years in the congo.

I'd defiantly agree that it plays a factor in all of this - As to whether it's the sole reason....

I think the bigger picture is a strong resilience against the UN's attempts to recolonize Africa...in all their attempts to make it appear as thought that's exactly not what they're really doing....

But it all ties together.....

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
the bush part, thats not really on topic...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

the bush part, thats not really on topic...

It's a bit dated and a little off topic, but I have a hunch there's a connection somewhere....

It's history we're talking about here, and when you consider the building blocks at the bottom the top will come into focus a little better....

I also added it under the assumption that not too many people are really up to date on the subject of the Congo, and a little prequel wouldn't hurt....

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Doesn't matter the Bush's part is in a part that is allowed bias. Only the Title and the Header have to be Bias free, and the story quote unaltered and the link linking to the actual story source etc. The third paragraph is Analysis and Opinion.

Your comments, opinions and/or analysis (required).
Description...

You must give us an additional one to three paragraph comment, in your own words, that will help our members understand your analysis or point of view on the news article you're submitting. Please do not copy-and-paste material from the news source into this area of your submission.

[edit on 25-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Doesn't matter the Bush's part is in a part that is allowed bias. Only the Title and the Header have to be Bias free, and the story quote unaltered and the link linking to the actual story source etc. The third paragraph is Analysis and Opinion.

Yeah...That's precisely my argument...This has happened before and I've heard others complain about it....

It's a little annoying when I'm indicted of being bias where no bias exists....

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I don't know who suspended your submission Enron but maybe you should u2u an ATSNN editor and ask for more direction or a review of the story???

new topics

top topics

join