It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump and prison reform

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Man Trump is a good president.

Why wasn't this done before now?

The new legislation would eliminate "stacking" provisions that result in offenders serving consecutive sentences for crimes committed using firearms; shorten mandatory minimum sentences, including reverting life imprisonment to a 25-year minimum for those convicted under the "three strikes" provision; and expand the "drug safety valve" to reduce the number of nonviolent drug offenders receiving mandatory minimum sentences.

Just so you dont have to look. Do we know who made all these mandatory sentences? I know. It's a quiz.
edit on 14-11-2018 by Fools because: ...

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

This is such a worthy and righteous cause damn glad to hear about it.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You have a good president there....many of you won't realise it until he's gone. He's no slick politician and he makes mistakes, (some of which I think are down to his administration and due to the way he speaks) but he certainly seems to me to be a genuine sort of guy with very good intentions. He doesn't seems to go along with the usual political bs that most do and yeah he ruffles feathers. I think he's refreshing!

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

Because swamp critters were making big $$, so they made big donations...

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Good for him... it's about time the issue was addressed.

I hope the new House can get some better laws on the books and get these people back onto the plus side of the tally sheet, as it were.

Let's see how CNN and the left twist it... ~sigh~

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Many will never give him any credit. I don't like Trump the person, but Trump the president has done a great job.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Good for him, mandatory sentencing is unconstitutional.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Good for him, mandatory sentencing is unconstitutional.

I don't mind it for some crimes. It should be mandatory life for pedophiles who rape kids, or men who rape women (not where the woman regrets it later, I mean real rape).

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I can't argue with maximum sentences for pedo's. Still let the judges do their job.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

True sex offenders can't help themselves, putting them back into society is bad for everyone, including them.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Many will never give him any credit. I don't like Trump the person, but Trump the president has done a great job.

I will give trump credit for this. Long over due....
edit on 14-11-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

That's what our politicians need to start doing. Finding things we can agree on and work on them and end this divide.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I disagree with him on this. The minimum sentencing laws needed to be expanded and increased, not reduced simply because too many people can't seem to behave themselves.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Good for Trump.

I don't really see much wrong with the criminal justice system myself... but then again, I'm not in it. It was one of his campaign promises and apparently something the people want. I even read the text of the Senate bill and I see nothing that jumps out at me as terribly bad. So IMO that's another promise made; promise kept.

And this time it has bipartisan support! That's the cherry on top.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I agree that REAL Pedophiles cannot help themselves...what needs to be corrected though is an 18 yr old being called a pedophile because his girlfriend is 16 years old and the parents do not like him...or he broke up and the girl/parents seek vengeance.

I have been raped by real Pedophiles and one of my daughters too...there is a big difference that current law does not take into account. Young men should not be punished as a pedophile because of dating someone close to their age. They are not mentally Ill.

Pedophiles are mentally ill and there is an obvious distinction. They will always be mentally deficient. Young male adults are mentally sound and as they age...so will their chosen sexual partners.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I will give trump credit for this. Long over due....

Agreed.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Good Trump.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I can't agree. Minimum sentencing takes the law out of the hands of the judges, who have that leniency in order to be able to take into account extenuating circumstances. Is it abused by bad judges? Sure. But minimum sentencing in that respect is like putting a band-aid on a gaping wound. We need good judges, not band-aids to cover their ills.

The simple fact is that people will learn to pay more attention to who they vote for if who they vote for is actually required to do the job at the peril of the voters. Minimum sentencing tends to make the worst judges look acceptable. That's a bad thing.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

A win for America. Not just one party. Why not keep this going

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I understand what you're saying but to be fair, no-one but those closest or working with him know the person. We only see glimpses, often biased ones at that. I've read up on him and he's done quite a bit for various charities and despite people insisting he's stupid and thick and a liar, my personal thoughts after watching various speeches is that he gets carried away a bit, veers from the agreed script and quite honestly sometimes I think there are those in his admin that actively try to embarrass him! Who knows? But I'd vote for him...why? Because he seems approachable mainly

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join