It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only 12,000 Years Ago A Meteor Impact Created A 19 Miles Wide Crater In Greenland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

A huge impact crater has been discovered under a half-mile-thick Greenlandice sheet.

The enormous bowl-shaped dent appears to be the result of a mile-wide iron meteorite slamming into the island at a speed of 12 miles per second as recently as 12,000 years ago.

At 19.3 miles wide, the crater ranks among the 25 largest known on Earth and is the first to be found beneath an ice sheet.

“You have to go back 40 million years to find a crater of the same size, so this is a rare, rare occurrence in Earth’s history,”
Impact crater 19 miles wide found beneath Greenland glacier

Not mentioned in this article: It is generally agreed that the last ice age ended about 12,000 years ago - although some claim it hasn't actually ended yet. I hope this doesn't mean such big impacts are much more common than previously thought.

Or is this just part of the Werner von Braun/Dr. Carol Rosin narrative?

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
poor neanderthalers R.I.P

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Somewhere soon, Graham Hancock will read this and get a huge boner.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
To be fair, it was "possibly" as recent as 12,000 years ago (11,600 years ago, if you go by the catastrophists), or as long ago as 3 million years. It's quite a range. They still need to get more data.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Not mentioned in this article: It is generally agreed that the last ice age ended about 12,000 years ago - although some claim it hasn't actually ended yet.

So you think the two events are correlated? I'd assume an impact of that size would throw a lot of debris in our atmosphere and cause our planet to cool down even more.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Best comment I have read in a long long time....

there is a story that he is heading to Joe Rogan's studio right now....

I might have made up this story, but it's still a story

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I believe by definition, we are in an ice age as we have permanent ice on our poles from year to year.

And I hope we don't get hit like that any time soon.
Mass extinction would no doubt follow.

edit on 14-11-2018 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
So you think the two events are correlated? I'd assume an impact of that size would throw a lot of debris in our atmosphere and cause our planet to cool down even more.

Randall Carlson suggests there were two impacts, and probably more, created by the fragmentation of the Comet Encke. The first one (12,900 years ago) caused huge fires worldwide, throwing dust and ash into the air which halted and reversed the warming which was starting just before the Younger Dryas. The second event (11,600 years ago) was an airburst over the North American ice sheet that threw up more water vapor than ash, stimulating a greenhouse effect and faster warming. Supposedly it was the second one that wiped out Atlantis and fatally crippled the newly-emerged "advanced" global civilization that knew about stuff like astronomy/astrology, farming, law, and building stuff using big-ass rocks. Supposedly.

Sometime in late October, apparently when we pass through the Taurid meteor stream again, which is why various cultures still have a "Day of the Dead" around that time. Also, of course, because it's fall.
edit on 14-11-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
oh this must be the one Randal Carlson is always going on about that caused the shift in the earth's everything.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

That's really interesting if we check what was going on 12,000 years ago when that happened.

More than 12,000 years ago, an incredible event left a mark in the ancient Hindu civilization.

An incandescent column of smoke and flame,
as bright as ten thousand suns,
rose with all its splendor.
It was an unknown weapon,
an iron thunderbolt,
a gigantic messenger of death,

www.ancient-code.com...

edit on 14-11-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yeah I think this is parallel with the younger dryas comet/meteor event graham Hancock talks about, ie civilization ending.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

Yup my first response.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I wonder if this is related to the mega fauna die off around the end of the ice age?

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If timing happens to prove out then many versions of history will have to be given a hard look.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

That's really interesting if we check what was going on 12,000 years ago when that happened.

More than 12,000 years ago, an incredible event left a mark in the ancient Hindu civilization.

an iron thunderbolt,

www.ancient-code.com...

I don't think people in India would see the impact of a meteor in Greenland.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

He will Younger Dryas all over the thread.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

originally posted by: Trueman

an iron thunderbolt,

www.ancient-code.com...

I think the one on Greenland and this one in India came together. You know..., meteor showers.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

They would if the sea level rose 400 feet or so where they built their major cities.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

They would if the sea level rose 400 feet or so where they built their major cities.

I believe there are worthwhile areas in the seas around Sri Lanka.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join