It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 TB external HD options

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: MisterSpock

ETA: But your idea is fine, I did that with a cheaper laptop I bought, SSD made a big difference performance wise.

SSD can spruce up just about anything.

That's what I thought too. So i took an old SSD I had laying around and tried to install it in the wife.....she wasn't too happy about it.

It definitely had a negative impact on performance.

She must still have a USB 1.0 port.

No other explanation.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Also, there's really no need to replace a drive from a USB enclosure. In fact, there's a thing called "shucking" where sometimes the USB drives end up being cheaper than buying the bare drives inside of them and people pry the enclosures open, remove the drives and shuck the enclosure to save a few bucks.

There were/are USB enclosure shells. These were a metal/plastic case with a small space for a USB to SATA/PATA connector board. Take an internal laptop drive, pop it into one of these cases and you have an instant external drive.
I'd do this with every fresh Linux/Windows install. The old drive became a backup drive, while everything was copied onto a new drive.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I am currently using an hdd enclosure from BestBuy with several 2.5" SSD's and standard disk drives. I store AND run all of my Oculus games on 1TB 7200rpm hdd and when I need to swap to make backups I remove 2 screws and simply swap the hdd. Works as advertised.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

My mom bought a PC with a 1TB hdd over ten years ago.

It still works just fine today. And once during a flood it was under water. Not while on of course but I was surprised the entire PC still worked after that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join