It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even when I'm dead and gone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
So what happens when we are dead and gone?

What are our children left with?

It's a painful thought, if you actually think about it. After all, do we leave them with a war-torn civilisation, or perhaps a burning world...
Perhaps we leave them with a world that can simply exist as it is because we recede due to circumstance.
I have been thinking about these things and I have absolutely no doubt it is because I am getting older, but just because that is the reason it doesn't make it less relevant to me.

I wish I could tell my son, for example, all the things that have fascinated me in my life, but I know it would be pointless. My son has interests that I misunderstand in the truest sense of the word.

If I could leave one thing to my son, to investigate, to check out, to really have a go at...it would be the idea that there were previous civilisations, ones unknown at present, but that may help once discovered.

Anyway, what would you like to tell your son/daughter, given the chance?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
So what happens when we are dead and gone?

What are our children left with?

It's a painful thought, if you actually think about it. After all, do we leave them with a war-torn civilisation, or perhaps a burning world...
Perhaps we leave them with a world that can simply exist as it is because we recede due to circumstance.
I have been thinking about these things and I have absolutely no doubt it is because I am getting older, but just because that is the reason it doesn't make it less relevant to me.

I am fortunate in that my children have a rather insatiable appetite for knowledge and my extended family has taught them to poke around in the nooks and crannies of things.

They had the opportunity every summer to camp out at my father's or grandfather's property, to be at the campfire when weird subjects came up, like UFO encounters, Witiko and Sasquatch stories that came out of the elders, ghost stories and talks of Hopi lore.

They learned that the unexplained is just that. Not wrong or BS, just unexplained.

So as adults they have already learned to question. To not believe the narrative. To dig deeper than the surface story.

No, I am quite happy with them in that regard.

As for what they are left with when I am gone, it will be more than what I started with.

A goal for every parent, I would hope.

A great topic... S&F.

edit on 13-11-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I guess just to be yourself. Dance like nobody is watching. You'll get resistance everywhere, but be jovial about it. Simply, be kind. Listen. Enjoy yourself and enjoy the company of others. Be curious. The point of life is like the purpose of a dance or a song: it's not the ending, it's the dance/song itself.

Most importantly, learn how to laugh at yourself.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

The truth. Don't mislead them with pie in the sky national or religious superiority, hero, Prince Charming or doomsday rhetoric. Karma doesn't exist, if it did, TPTB wouldn't B.

Tell them they are responsible for their own happiness, no one else is, or else's. Life is what they put into it, but the world is brutal, and really doesn't care. That's why you have to.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I am glad your children were given such an opportunity, and have no doubt they will find the stone to guide them.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

I guess just to be yourself. Dance like nobody is watching. You'll get resistance everywhere, but be jovial about it. Simply, be kind. Listen. Enjoy yourself and enjoy the company of others. Be curious. The point of life is like the purpose of a dance or a song: it's not the ending, it's the dance/song itself.

Life is not what other people think about you. It is how you think about yourself. You have been given a wonderful chance to make an amazing journey that is entirely unique to you. Who you are and what you become belongs to nobody but yourself.

But remember, the most important thing about the journey is to learn to laugh at yourself.

Something my great-grandfather told me once... it fit your thoughts so I posted it.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

What you say is so cliched, but so true.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Not sure how to answer this, but seems like you have 2 questions.

When we are dead, we are dead. That much I know to be true.
When we are dead and "gone". Well, it would depend on ones thoughts of the after-life. For that I would only say, what ever happens, happens.

I've had 2 chances to tell my child about my life in a night-time bedtime story. It lasted about 4 years. I did this in English for she wouldn't forget and also learn new vocabulary. It was my life as a living hobo traveling across America. My story had a lot of influences on her in her Manga drawings later in life.

The other chance came at the age 18 for her, a day my child would return to the country she was born in. What I told was, "keep your happiness in life by understanding yourself".

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I am glad your children were given such an opportunity, and have no doubt they will find the stone to guide them.

My youngest is a Bernie Sanders supporter.

She has an extremely high IQ and yet cannot match her own socks.

We all have our crosses to bear...

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

The truth. Don't mislead them with pie in the sky national or religious superiority, hero, Prince Charming or doomsday rhetoric. Karma doesn't exist, if it did, TPTB wouldn't B.

Tell them they are responsible for their own happiness, no one else is, or else's. Life is what they put into it, but the world is brutal, and really doesn't care. That's why you have to.

I have no doubt that I can not regale him with political knowledge, after all I know absolutely nothing about politics, I thought I did, and then I realised I know nothing.

Responsible for their own happiness, yes.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

What are our children left with? It's a painful thought, if you actually think about it. After all, do we leave them with a war-torn civilisation, or perhaps a burning world...

Being dead to look forward to.

That’s about it in this day and age. The people in power are selling out the environment around us, cutting regulations that allow more toxins in everything we eat and drink, hate and exclusion are burning around the globe using fear as fuel, and people define themselves by what they aren’t instead of what they are.

It’s times like this that I wish Astros thread wasn’t a larp and there really was a way for me to get off this planet.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I know but it's cliched because it resonates with so many. Sadly, in this age, it seems to be lost on a lot of us. There is so little personal connection and so much effort to live up to unrealistic lifestyles.

I make a meager living but still live better than the pharaohs of Egypt. I like to think about that anytime I feel down on my luck.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

And what is wrong with that ?
I have made it 6+ decades with the same "cross"
And , I WAS a Bern supporter.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
One thought I hope I have instilled in my children and grandchildren

QUESTION EVERYTHING

No matter how good it sounds

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

" Anyway, what would you like to tell your son/daughter, given the chance? "

Son/Daughter , Your Born , Life Sucks , then you Die . So make the Best of it as you can while you are here Knowing that you will Not Suffer Forever if you try and Gain a Little bit of Happiness along the Way . See You Again SOON ......
edit on 13-11-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
My Dad's "becoming a man" talk:

"There are billions of people out there. Some of them are good and some aren't. You can't always tell by looking which is which. Keep that in mind when you deal with people and don't be anybody's fool.

Always be kind to women and children.

As for women, you are at that age when women are going to get real important to you real fast. So, wear clean underwear and trim your fingernails. Go get em' boy!"

He was the best.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I know but it's cliched because it resonates with so many. Sadly, in this age, it seems to be lost on a lot of us. There is so little personal connection and so much effort to live up to unrealistic lifestyles.

I make a meager living but still live better than the pharaohs of Egypt. I like to think about that anytime I feel down on my luck.

It's not even about that, it's about so many people, having so many voices, that the voices that matter get lost. We lost the ability to be shown to the ability to be influenced.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

You wake up on a spaceship somewhere in a prior Universe, hang out a lil bit and remember who you really are - then go create a new char profile and play this "Universe" game again!!

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Lumenari

And what is wrong with that ?
I have made it 6+ decades with the same "cross"
And , I WAS a Bern supporter.

Because her minor was in economics.

So I personally feel I wasted some of my money on that education.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join