It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN sues President Trump and top White House aides for barring Jim Acosta

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

HOW is the suppression of the press? It is a person. He is not the press. He is ONE of over a dozen WH correspondents with creds for the WH.

He should be worried about the person waiting in the wings to take his job, do better and praised by the POTUS for it.

No one has the 'right' to enter the WH but they DO have the right to report what they want. I mean c'mon, he was in PAris before Trump letting him know on Twitter he was there. A game and he lost....

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Breaking:

Star Witness comes forward !!!!!

Omarosa Trump Plotted to Boot CNN's Acosta

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Yes, they can. They just won't be allowed into the white house if they do.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ahhhh....was she upset her book tanked and needed some airtime? Yeah. I am sure that is what haunts Trumps dreams at night.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

originally posted by: fleabit
The blinders many in this thread wear work amazingly well.

This has nothing to do with Acosta. ALL Presidents who have had to field questions from journalists have had to deal with the hard questions. Trump doesn't like it for a few reasons. One is his incredibly thin skin. Another is his utter lack of being able to take criticism without lashing out. And his denial of ever doing anything wrong. And yet another is he can't handle the hard questions, because he makes up a lot of crap as he goes, with any facts being derived from either his administration, advisors (who get fired if they make him look bad), or Fox and Friends.. sadly enough.

He has threatened to ban OTHER reporters. You know.. the ones who ask him annoying questions he doesn't want to deal with.

"How long are you going to leave Jim Acosta in the penalty box?" Trump was asked. "I haven't made that decision, but it could be others also."

Will it be a single reporter who supports Trump? No? ONLY reporters who align with networks that oppose Trump? Yup.

That is a massive issue. And it's ASTOUNDING how his constituents can utterly ignore freedoms and transparency in favor of their love affair for Trump. If he wants them gone, that's OK by them!

SAD!! .. as Trump would pathetically say.
false.

Your astounding counter-argument leaves something to be desired. Which bit is false?

Trump is thin skinned. He hates criticism. He did threaten to remove other press hard passes. If not reversed, this opens a can of worms for future politicians to remove any journalist from the White House, if they decide they are annoying, "rude" or whatever other term they decide to come up with. This would be a terrible precedent. Care to let me know which bit you think is false?

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Given his erratic behavior, he may be a danger to all in the press room. The USSS should protect everyone by revoking his press pass permanently.

Adios Abilio.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

The blinders many in this thread wear work amazingly well.

This has nothing to do with Acosta. ALL Presidents who have had to field questions from journalists have had to deal with the hard questions. Trump doesn't like it for a few reasons. One is his incredibly thin skin. Another is his utter lack of being able to take criticism without lashing out. And his denial of ever doing anything wrong. And yet another is he can't handle the hard questions, because he makes up a lot of crap as he goes, with any facts being derived from either his administration, advisors (who get fired if they make him look bad), or Fox and Friends.. sadly enough.

He has threatened to ban OTHER reporters. You know.. the ones who ask him annoying questions he doesn't want to deal with.

"How long are you going to leave Jim Acosta in the penalty box?" Trump was asked. "I haven't made that decision, but it could be others also."

Will it be a single reporter who supports Trump? No? ONLY reporters who align with networks that oppose Trump? Yup.

That is a massive issue. And it's ASTOUNDING how his constituents can utterly ignore freedoms and transparency in favor of their love affair for Trump. If he wants them gone, that's OK by them!

SAD!! .. as Trump would pathetically say.
false.

Your astounding counter-argument leaves something to be desired. Which bit is false?

Trump is thin skinned. He hates criticism. He did threaten to remove other press hard passes. If not reversed, this opens a can of worms for future politicians to remove any journalist from the White House, if they decide they are annoying, "rude" or whatever other term they decide to come up with. This would be a terrible precedent. Care to let me know which bit you think is false?

Spot on. The amount of his followers who think he's thick skinned blows my mind. "Hitting back" via social media tantrums and playground name calling is the exact opposite of thick skin. He's an incredibly insecure man. Any brief review of his Twitter feed tells you that.

And now they're trying to say he should be allowed to stifle the press when they ask tough questions?

It's like they WANT to blindly follow; lemmings, all following each other off a cliff in MAGA hats, refusing to hold him accountable for anything.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: fencesitter85

I dont think anyone thinks hes thick skinned. I would say hes a typical New Yorker takes everything as an attack and quick to go on the offensive.

New Yorkers are born with attitudes or its in the water im not sure which.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
Good luck making it optional with your DEMAND to suck 'em!

I said 'told', not 'demand'. I get crap for writing one liners and people don't even read those all the way through. Imagine if I wrote something of any length?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
I would say hes a typical New Yorker takes everything as an attack and quick to go on the offensive.

I've never heard that generalization about people here, if anything we're direct. That doesn't necessarily mean confrontational.

Trump acts like a douche because he is a douche, not because he's from certain geography.

edit on 15-11-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Good luck making it optional with your DEMAND to suck 'em!

I said 'told', not 'demand'. I get crap for writing one liners and people don't even read those all the way through. Imagine if I wrote something of any length?

One liners are against T&C. You should be banned.
2nd

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Agreed.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Trump loves criticism it what got him elected.

if all reporters acted like this guy acosta there would be no press room it would be more like a nursery full of toddlers.
edit on 15-11-2018 by Saiker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

What makes you think you live in Iran where guys come and arrest you?

I live in the UK and we simply don't do that. Have a bit of bloody respect.

I have watched your parliament debates. They make our congressional debates look like a friendly book club.

Love the Downton Abbey "we simply don't do that" bit.

Giving Trump the bird is international, including the UK

Protesters extend their middle fingers towards the gates of Blenheim Palace during U.S. President Donald Trump's visit to Oxfordshire, England in July 2018

PIC HERE
www.politico.eu...

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: dragonridr
I would say hes a typical New Yorker takes everything as an attack and quick to go on the offensive.

I've never heard that generalization about people here, if anything we're direct. That doesn't necessarily mean confrontational.

Trump acts like a douche because he is a douche, not because he's from certain geography.

How does that song from the musical go?

Super Callous Fragile Racist Sexist Nazi Potus?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: soberbacchus
a reply to: shooterbrody

Gonna have to wait until AM for his ruling.

So much for the immediate and irreparable harm no restraining order issued today.
The ruling to be given 3pm est Thursday.

Interesting that he wants to research and have staff help him assemble a ruling etc.

Whatever he is preparing, he wants it to be water tight to survive being over-ruled in appeal by the higher courts.

Regardless of outcome and regardless of whether you think I am an a-hole (or vice versa) I do appreciate that you read the case law that was being cited (even if we disagree on it's applicability). The most I ever hope for in an ATS thread is that I come away with more knowledge on a topic than when I arrived at the thread and that someone challenges my views in ways that make me less certain than when I started. You may be an ass or I may be an ass, but you got me thinking and raised some good questions. Let's see what this federalist society, Trump appointed Judge rules. He obviously understands how high profile the ruling is and is aiming for a bullet-proof ruling.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
From politico
www.politico.com...

A 1977 D.C. Circuit court ruling held that the government cannot deny a White House hard pass “arbitrarily or for less than compelling reasons” and must follow a clear process to do it. Kelly noted during the hearing that he would be bound by that court’s decision in issuing a ruling, and Boutrous cited the case repeatedly in his arguments.

if this is accurate about what kelly said imo cnn is in trouble.

From that case which you were kind enough to link yesterday:

openjurist.org...

The first amendment's protection of a citizen's right to obtain information concerning "the way the country is being run" does not extend to every conceivable avenue a citizen may wish to employ in pursuing this right.18 Nor is the discretion of the President to grant interviews or briefings with selected journalists challenged. It would certainly be unreasonable to suggest that because the President allows interviews with some bona fide journalists, he must give this opportunity to all. Finally, appellee's first amendment claim is not premised upon the assertion that the White House must open its doors to the press, conduct press conferences, or operate press facilities.

The ruling shows the president has discretion as to who gets access.

also imo this ruling does not effect already issued passes being revoked as they thought enough of the issue to include this:

We have no occasion to consider what procedures must be employed in the revocation, for security reasons, of an already-issued White House press pass

I will be surprised if cnn/acosta win. Cnn can send others to report in Acostas place. Acosta is not unique.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

The most I ever hope for in an ATS thread is that I come away with more knowledge on a topic than when I arrived at the thread and that someone challenges my views in ways that make me less certain than when I started.

That is I one of the reasons I am here as well.
There is still good information here regardless of team colors.
Most here agree more than they know.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saiker
a reply to: fleabit

Trump loves criticism it what got him elected.

I think it's hilarious anyone would actually believe Trump likes criticism. He almost -instantly- lashes back at anyone who dares let slip a negative comment, thought or word regarding Trump. His tweet history is proof enough of his thin-skinned, sensitive and insecure nature. He refuses to take responsibility for anything negative, but he heaps praise on himself for even things he was marginally involved in. These are not idle musings, these are irrefutable facts.

Now, Trump does love media.. TV.. i.e. attention. He just hates negative attention. The way he singles out only negative press as "fake news" is laughably obvious, and yet none of his followers will admit it. They ignore it, and actually chant along with Trump on the foolish "fake news" theory.

Trump is simply trying to remove a thorn in his side with Acosta, nothing more. Which should never be allowed. Republicans would NEVER think it's OK to ban right-leaning journalists, because a Dem POTUS thought they were being "rude." And if that POTUS to revoke even more passes, the right would be clambering over each other to proclaim how this was a trampling of transparency of an administration, and the free press.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

On this from the case law:

the government cannot deny a White House hard pass “arbitrarily or for less than compelling reasons” and must follow a clear process to do

What I found interesting was that Gov attorneys argued that Trump's back and forth exchange with Acosta, followed up by Sanders tweet saying Acosta was banned constituted due process and notification respectively.

It seems a stretch in my strong opinion, but we will see if the judge thinks it suffices.

The ruling shows the president has discretion as to who gets access.

I still believe that excerpt of the ruling speaks to specifically selected interviews with one or multiple reporters and that the same ruling made a strong distinction to press conferences.

They were saying the POTUS can pick and choose what journalists he gives interviews to, but once it is a full press conference, it is a different animal.

I think that because of the following (which I have already linked to multiple times, so won't bother cutting and pasting the link again here unless someone needs it)

“White House press facilities having been made publicly available as a source of information for newsmen, the protection afforded news gathering under the First Amendment guarantee of freedom of the press, requires that this access not be denied arbitrarily or for less than compelling reasons,” Judge Carl E. McGowan wrote for a unanimous three-judge panel.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join