It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia state senator, protesters detained at Capitol while demanding that ‘every vote count’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A BLM organized protest today yielded some arrests.

Protesting for the oh-so-gucci "every vote counts" narrative.

A State Senator from Atlanta, Democrat Nikema Williams was arrested 😆

Apparently she was a little out of hand and got handcuffed 😆

She started yelling too !!

Georgia state senator, protesters detained at Capitol while demanding that ‘every vote count’

A first-term Atlanta senator was among about a dozen demostrators who were detained during a protest in the state Capitol.

State Sen. Nikema Williams, D-Atlanta, said she was standing with her constituents when officers led her out of the Capitol rotunda and placed plastic restraints on her wrists.

“I was not yelling. I was not chanting,” she said. “I stood peacefully next to my constituents because they wanted their voices to be heard, and now I’m being arrested.”

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yeah this will go over well. From your article:

“When a sitting senator, who is the vice chair of the state Democratic Party, is thrown into a paddy wagon at the state capitol it is a stark reminder that our right to freely assemble is at risk,” said state Sen. Nan Orrock, D-Atlanta.

"Today, (Williams) was arrested at the Georgia State Capitol while standing up for her constituents' right to peaceful protest and advocating to count every Georgian's vote,” Porter said. “We stand with her and with all Georgians whose Constitutional rights are at risk. “

Georgia includes a provision requiring that legislators “shall be free from arrest during sessions of the General Assembly” except for treason, felony or breach of the peace.

I just don't understand why you always have smiley faces next to news like these, when rights are violated or an attack on the Constitution made. Police is used to arrest political opposition and stop people from exercising their right to peaceably assemble. So funny.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

Just out of curiosity, who determines the difference between a "peaceful protest" and a "breach of the peace"? Also curious to how fine that line is, considering...
"shall be free from arrest during sessions of the General Assembly” except for treason, felony or breach of the peace..."
Perhaps we arent getting all the details?
I'll wait for more info before I form my opinion.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Amazing how Georgia has laws
And enforces them , huh ?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gravelbone

Just out of curiosity, who determines the difference between a "peaceful protest" and a "breach of the peace"? Also curious to how fine that line is, considering...
"shall be free from arrest during sessions of the General Assembly” except for treason, felony or breach of the peace..."
Perhaps we arent getting all the details?
I'll wait for more info before I form my opinion.

The legal system
Morality
And , perhaps we are getting "all the details"
Folks in Georgia dont go for the mess like them "Left Coast Loon States"

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Georgia includes a provision requiring that legislators “shall be free from arrest during sessions of the General Assembly” except for treason, felony or breach of the peace.

Was Williams in a session of the General Assembly in the State of Georgia ?
See , dont read stuff into something that isn't there.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Guess I should've used the old /S/ to denote my tenor lol.
I agree. The very police whom arrested her had the authority to.
Morality? What's that? Sounds like an old adage.
Cant speak for Georgians myself, but I hope you're right. Enough is enough.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Who knew refusal to disperse, physical obstruction, and disturbing the peace were crimes?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Who knew refusal to disperse, physical obstruction, and disturbing the peace were crimes?

Who knew that we'd end up in a place where ATS members were trying to find every available way possible to side with the government as opposed to the voices of the people.

But by all means, keep on talking about the fact that they are not protesting "correctly" as opposed to what the protest is actually about. It's pretty damn authoritarian textbook.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Who knew that we'd end up in a place where ATS members were trying to find every available way possible to side with the government as opposed to the voices of the people.

But by all means, keep on talking about the fact that they are not protesting "correctly" as opposed to what the protest is actually about. It's pretty damn authoritarian textbook.

Aww, the martyr card. How cute.

Laws should not apply to Democrats, that's unfair!!!!!

top topics

join