It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The VA hasn't issued checks to some veterans in months, The dept Trump would fix quickly.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

What sort of country throws their Veterans on to the streets?

Oh, hang on a minute...in the UK it is estimated we have at least 13,000 ex-Servicemen homeless and on the streets.

A massive, massive failing and something that every single person in the UK should be ashamed of.
We need to DEMAND better from our politicians.

On topic; if Trump is aware of this, which he should be, he needs to make this a priority issue and anyone found evicting US Vets or auctioning off their belongings should be instructed in no uncertain terms not to and all outstanding monies will be paid in full as soon as.

I understand that there maybe technical issues when implementing policy change but for it to go on this long and to have the ramifications it has it needs to be sorted as soon as humanly possible.

edit on 13/11/18 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Considering the VA has been a dumpster fire since its inception its going to take time for the new rules and regulations to get the problems fixed.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: whargoul

I'm not defending Trump and I did not even vote for him. I'm saying it's a problem that took a few decades to get as bad as it is and it won't be fixed under one President.

To fix it requires a whole new mindset in the VA which will take some time to accomplish.

I do know it's not a problem he created, so to blame him is just partisan gibberish. I blame them all from Bush Sr. forward, which I think is a more honest view.

edit on 11/13/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

are you stalking me on multiple accounts?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: TheRedneck

Don't hold your breath for d trump to even look into this. Election cycle is over.

But, in this administration's defense, fixing the VA is a process, not an event. It's going to take some time to establish a proper va administration in place; staff and technology.

And if he does work on this, we can expect your praise for him? LOL, you don't have to answer, your empty rhetoric will be just fine.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The VA has been gutted for some time... it'll take some time in return to fix it. Granted, an IT issue should be resolved in a timely manner, but figuring out why an IT issue of this magnitude happened and remedying any further occurrences will take time. To use a known phrase... one doesn't "drain the swamp" overnight. I do expect to at least see progress during these next couple years... it's(the VA) a work in progress that is better than it was, but still not where it needs to be.

I wouldn't blame this on Trump(solely). The VA is the way it is because of a culmination of failures in part by past administrations as well as a lack of FORESIGHT from the current one.

A2D
edit on 13-11-2018 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: whargoul

If it requires trump to "stay on top of it" to fix it, then it is his fault its not fixed. The Redneck even posited that it is whole under trumps control.

You guys have to hold him to it.

How about a deal?

We'll hold Trump's feet to the fire if you'll hold the House's feet to the same fire. This may require or at least benefit from legislation to properly implement.

Fair?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

What? Compromise? You haven't been in politics long have you?

A2D

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Blaine91555

All government agencies are infested with far left leaning, incompetent people used to being able to take a week to do a days work and not having to worry about being fired for their incompetence. Until they are discarded and replaced, the problems will remain as they have through many Presidents.

While what you say is true enough, one of the reasons I voted for Trump was to address this very issue. So far, it seems he has made an improvement in the area, but this story definitely indicates serious problems in one of the agencies that should be the last to see serious problems.

As I said, I'll not lay this at the feet of Trump yet, but I do expect him to do something about it. The buck stops here. Unlike previous criticisms he has faced, he has almost complete autonomy over the VA.

TheRedneck

I absolutely respect your stance. I know we have disagreed on other topics but I truly applaud you on this stance.

I’m not one of those people who say Trump isn’t my President, he most definitely is and he won the election fairly. The entire reason for most of my posts is I get sick and tired of people holding the opposition accountable but when they are in power, nah that’s cool. This is both Republicans and Democrats who do this crap.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Don't hold your breath for d trump to even look into this. Election cycle is over.

But, in this administration's defense, fixing the VA is a process, not an event. It's going to take some time to establish a proper va administration in place; staff and technology.

And if he does work on this, we can expect your praise for him? LOL, you don't have to answer, your empty rhetoric will be just fine.

I’m not the author you replied to but I will publicly state that I will applaud Trump if he does something about this. Specifically if he fires someone and removes the influence his Mar-O-Largo friends currently have at the VA.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I hold both sides accountable. I just want to see solutions instead of complaining.

In this case, the solution is to
  • Fix the immediate issue by whatever means is necessary. These are our vets. money is not a concern.
  • Fix the system. If that means a new contractor, so be it. This does not need to happen again.
  • Find out who is responsible and never let them around another veteran's benefits, ever.
And I'm not afraid to place blame (or credit) where they are due. If Nancy Pelosi were to actually say something smart, I would support what she said (and immediately go buy a lottery ticket because miracles were happening). I am not a Republican, nor a Democrat. I am an Independent and proud of it!

Now, you're good to get this fixed, from both sides of that imaginary aisle?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I hear a lot of mixed stories about the VA for some it works great and others not at all so I think it's an issue with various leaders throughout the VA and not necessarily the entire thing but that all probably depends on a case by case basis from what I hear

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Actually, this old redneck has been following it long enough to remember what compromise is...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Seems like the problem is caused by Trump trying to fix things. We will see how it plays out but your op is a lie imo and it's too early to put this on Trump.

The real question is why did Obama do nothing and leave such a mess behind?

If Trump leaves behind a mess and does nothing I will blame him too.
edit on 13-11-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I think that's the biggest problem. When you have an entire organization that is corrupted, it takes time to weed out the bad players. Trump has made improvements, but this incident shows there is a lot more to be done.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I know they spend A LOT A LOT A LOT of money on construction, they buy some top of the line material and higher quality material = higher bidding price due to higher risk

I think they need to rethink some of how they spend their money, the one by me does a good job from what I hear though there's A TON of vet's in my area that are boomer aged

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

What sort of country throws their Veterans on to the streets?

there's a lot of programs out there for veterans more in some states than others but in California Texas and a bunch of other states there's no reason any vet can be homeless. they literally build mini towns specifically for homeless vets

I'm not saying it's perfect but it's gotten WAY better the last ten years

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I'll agree with you on that. Every government entity spends way too much for what they do. Our vets deserve the best, but the VA still goes overboard... and then we hear about stories kike this!

We need to turn the entire financial budgeting process on it's ear. Every year, departments that exceed their budget are rewarded with a bigger budget, while those who do not spend their entire budget are punished with a smaller budget. That's as bass-ackards as it gets! Every department manager should be held responsible for getting their work done on time as promised, then rewarded if they can bring it in under budget. Something along the lines of a few percent of the surplus, and then only have their budgets cut by maybe 50% of the surplus. Who cares if they make money? We save money in the process!

Managers who can't meet their budget need to appear before Congress or their supervisors to explain why. And it better be a damn good explanation.

None of this will happen of course, but let an old redneck dream...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Well that's one model where we can learn from the US.

The way our governments treat some of our Vets is nothing short of deplorable.

I see no reason why we can't replicate that, but that would mean the government spending some money on something there is no profit in....I somehow can't see that happening.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I agree that's a horribly designed incentive structure

but from my experience if governments and schools stop blowing large wades of cash on construction every year the trade unions will cease to exist

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join