It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The VA hasn't issued checks to some veterans in months, The dept Trump would fix quickly.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Remember when Trump was running for the presidency how he and his supporters criticized the Obama administration for how they were running the VA? If you don't, here is one of the many Trump tweets on the matter:

Our great VETERANS are being treated very badly because of corruption and incompetence at the V.A. That will stop, I will fix this quickly!

Well fast forward to today and the VA hasn't sent out any checks to veterans in over a month due to ongoing IT issues. To be honest, I had to double and triple check this story because an IT issue of this scale lasting this long is almost entirely unheard of. Think back to the airline IT issues those are fixed in a matter of hours or days at most. But for an issue to last an entire month, something must either be completely destroyed or the people fixing it are totally incompetent.

Additionally, due to this glitch, at least some veterans are losing their homes:

Without the GI Bill's housing stipend, Roundtree was kicked out of his apartment and is now living on his sister's couch, miles from school, where he feels like a burden on his family. The new living situation required him to move all his belongings into a storage container, which he can no longer afford. Now all of his possessions are in danger of being auctioned off by the storage facility.

LINK

So who is in charge of the VA in the Trump era? You might say Peter O'Rourke the chief of staff for the Department of Veteran's affairs. However, it appears that he is only a figurehead who gets his orders from some of Trump's Mar-o-largo buddies. Yes, you heard that right.

Thanks to emails obtained through FOIA requests emails between these members and Peter O'Rourke show that Peter gets his marching orders from a trio of Mar-o-Largo alumni.

Last February, shortly after Peter O’Rourke became chief of staff for the Department of Veterans Affairs, he received an email from Bruce Moskowitz with his input on a new mental health initiative for the VA. “Received,” O’Rourke replied. “I will begin a project plan and develop a timeline for action.”

O’Rourke treated the email as an order, but Moskowitz is not his boss. In fact, he is not even a government official. Moskowitz is a Palm Beach doctor who helps wealthy people obtain high-service “concierge” medical care.

More to the point, he is one-third of an informal council that is exerting sweeping influence on the VA from Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s private club in Palm Beach, Florida. The troika is led by Ike Perlmutter, the reclusive chairman of Marvel Entertainment, who is a longtime acquaintance of President Trump’s. The third member is a lawyer named Marc Sherman. None of them has ever served in the U.S. military or government.

Yet from a thousand miles away, they have leaned on VA officials and steered policies affecting millions of Americans. They have remained hidden except to a few VA insiders, who have come to call them “the Mar-a-Lago Crowd.”

Perlmutter, Moskowitz and Sherman declined to be interviewed and fielded questions through a crisis-communications consultant. In a statement, they downplayed their influence, insisting that nobody is obligated to act on their counsel. “At all times, we offered our help and advice on a voluntary basis, seeking nothing at all in return,” they said. “While we were always willing to share our thoughts, we did not make or implement any type of policy, possess any authority over agency decisions, or direct government officials to take any actions… To the extent anyone thought our role was anything other than that, we don’t believe it was the result of anything we said or did.”

LINK

Maybe Trump should leave the running of the VA to professionals instead of his cronies. So much for draining the swamp.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Looks like somebody infiltrated the VA via IT contractors !!!!!!!!

🍌🤦🍌

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The spin here is.....Unreal.

"There are many veterans, like Roundtree, across the country who are still waiting for VA to catch up with a backlog created after President Donald Trump signed the Forever GI Bill in 2017. The landmark piece of legislation greatly expanded benefits for veterans and their families, but it did not upgrade the VA's technical capabilities to account for those changes."

This has zero, and I mean ZERO, to do with Trump. I mean, I am the least political leaning person on anything. Literally both sides can die in a fire, and I would not care, but this is REACHING. As a technical person myself, this means some loser(s) at the VA basically didn't enter data into the system, that's completely all that means, and you are trying to..or perhaps pointing out with NBC, that it's somehow trump not acting, AFTER he signed the act??????

WTF?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

"There are many veterans, like Roundtree, across the country who are still waiting for VA to catch up with a backlog created after President Donald Trump signed the Forever GI Bill in 2017. The landmark piece of legislation greatly expanded benefits for veterans and their families, but it did not upgrade the VA's technical capabilities to account for those changes."

This has zero, and I mean ZERO, to do with Trump. I mean, I am the least political leaning person on anything. Literally both sides can die in a fire, and I would not care, but this is REACHING. As a technical person myself, this means some loser(s) at the VA basically didn't enter data into the system, that's completely all that means, and you are trying to..or perhaps pointing out with NBC, that it's somehow trump not acting, AFTER he signed the act??????

WTF?

I tend to agree with you with two distinctions.

One, if you go back in time and look at this site in the lead up to the 2016 election there are dozens of threads of people criticizing Obama for his running of the VA. Same exact situation but then it was Obama's fault somehow, as evidenced by Trump's tweet above.

Two, Trump is letting his Mar-O-Largo buddies run the VA. So I would put the fault of Trump here. He shouldn't allow his drinking buddies to have influence over the VA.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

I'm a bit perplexed what the White House has to do with software issues or fixing them? Who provides the software and maintains it? I'd be looking into that, to find out why they are having this issue. I'm guessing the problem is with a contractor?

Under the Obama Administration Veterans were literally dying waiting on help. I think the root of the problem lies in the VA Administration itself and is deeply entrenched after many decades of incompetence. It will take more than one President working to correct it to clean up the mess. A purge of the old employees and a new team of competent government workers.

All government agencies are infested with far left leaning, incompetent people used to being able to take a week to do a days work and not having to worry about being fired for their incompetence. Until they are discarded and replaced, the problems will remain as they have through many Presidents.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So far as I can tell, this affects VA students and has, in some cases, gotten them kicked out of housing. This is unacceptable.

The problem seems to be delays and poor database engineering. Apparently the new system was installed, then problems were found that delayed the transmission of VA approval to several schools. Since the schools were going to have to re-enter the student data anyway, they all dropped their requests until notified that the system was fixed. When they tried to re-enter, the rush to get students enrolled overloaded the system.

Booz Allen Hamilton installed the software, and this appears to not be their first time facing similar allegations.

While I cannot blame Trump directly for this, it is his responsibility to get it fixed, and this should be foremost on his mind. Delays of this sort to our veterans is simply unacceptable, and if the present VA leadership can't get it done, they need to be replaced with someone who can. If Booz Allen Hamilton is at fault, they should be barred from fulfilling any future governmental contracts. I would also like to see an investigation into how they got the contract. Being involved in previous questionable endeavors, I wonder why they were awarded the contract and if anyone in the VA leadership was involved with them.

One more comment: the height of stoopidity is to implement a new solution to the exclusion of previous solutions before the new solution is thoroughly tested. I have used this argument many times in the field of renewable energy... as in, we cannot afford to give up fossil fuels until new infrastructure is in place and tested... and the principle is as sound here as it is there.

Heads should roll, and I expect Donald Trump to roll them.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Amen brutha, I know so many GS peeps who should be fired, but just cant pass up that money for nuthin paycheck.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Don't hold your breath for d trump to even look into this. Election cycle is over.

But, in this administration's defense, fixing the VA is a process, not an event. It's going to take some time to establish a proper va administration in place; staff and technology.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

originally posted by: SR1TX

WTF?

I tend to agree with you with two distinctions.

One, if you go back in time and look at this site in the lead up to the 2016 election there are dozens of threads of people criticizing Obama for his running of the VA. Same exact situation but then it was Obama's fault somehow, as evidenced by Trump's tweet above.

Two, Trump is letting his Mar-O-Largo buddies run the VA. So I would put the fault of Trump here. He shouldn't allow his drinking buddies to have influence over the VA.

There is nothing in your link describing anyone running anything from Marios World.

The very paragraph you cite only states that a friend had a "suggestion" of something, to which he "treated it like" and order.

So he "treated it" "thought of it" "Likened it to" is not defacto running anything. In fact, the only email he states to have received, WAS FROM A DOCTOR! The rest of your article pertaining to your paragraph cited, is speculation at best, as to the other 2 individuals. There is nothing, and i mean NOTHING in your link that expands upon your initial argument. It is just a small sliver of information weaponized to trigger the likes of you and anyone else not wanting to read more than a twitter segment of information.

The fact is Gov officials need to be able to be fired indiscriminately like people can be in the private sector, without the possibility of union interference simply fighting to get them their jobs back. Then you would have people capable of properly changing someones end date for benefits from 2017 to 2065 or whenever it is said person croaks.

Really, come on..

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

All government agencies are infested with far left leaning, incompetent people used to being able to take a week to do a days work and not having to worry about being fired for their incompetence. Until they are discarded and replaced, the problems will remain as they have through many Presidents.

While what you say is true enough, one of the reasons I voted for Trump was to address this very issue. So far, it seems he has made an improvement in the area, but this story definitely indicates serious problems in one of the agencies that should be the last to see serious problems.

As I said, I'll not lay this at the feet of Trump yet, but I do expect him to do something about it. The buck stops here. Unlike previous criticisms he has faced, he has almost complete autonomy over the VA.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
do you guys ever get tired of this nonsense?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Who is "you guys"?

TheRedneck

(post by Vector99 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Been reading about that. Thanks for bringing it to light. Seems making hollow promises is far easier than delivering. What a waste. a reply to: BlackJackal

edit on 13-11-2018 by soundguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I think it can be laid at the feet of a few Presidents and the Pentagon. I'd not lay the blame on just one, but I agree Trump needs to stay on top of it, if he is to actually fix it.

He needs to get to the core of it and clean house. Trump and probably his next couple of replacements.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Who is "you guys"?

TheRedneck

I think he meant "youz guys":

youz guys

Improper way of saying, "You guys." Mainly used by people from the east coast of the U.S.

Sgt. Egan said to the whole office, "Hey youz guys, clean up my snackbar!!!"

urban dic

Of course, I could be wrong..but I doubt it.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Who is "you guys"?

TheRedneck

Not you.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I'd have to agree with that. The VA has had more than it's share of issues for quite some time.

If Trump fixes it, it'll be another feather in his cap. But if he doesn't... well, that would be a substantial failure in my eyes, to be weighed along with his other accomplishments and failures come 2020. That doesn't mean it would be any more a failure than the similar ones of Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon... all of them had similar failures too.

I just have high hopes for Trump. He's done a lot of good in a little time. At the same time, I am watching nervously for the all-too-familiar reversion back to the status quo. I hope that never comes.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

I think it can be laid at the feet of a few Presidents and the Pentagon. I'd not lay the blame on just one, but I agree Trump needs to stay on top of it, if he is to actually fix it.

He needs to get to the core of it and clean house. Trump and probably his next couple of replacements.

See that's just it. If it requires trump to "stay on top of it" to fix it, then it is his fault its not fixed. The Redneck even posited that it is whole under trumps control.

Unlike previous criticisms he has faced, he has almost complete autonomy over the VA.

You guys have to hold him to it.

Yet another failed campaign promise. I really am sorry, but I think he has you guys hoodwinked (gawd RDR2), and hopefully things like this help you see that you might have made a mistake backing him.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
ironicly, because of what Trump HAS accomplished, these people can be fired now.

Kinda feels like...
you're criticizing the fire department for your burning house while they are in the middle of pulling up to put it out...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join