It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crenshaw shows we need to start laughing and stop being offended

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Representative-elect Dan Crenshaw (R-TX) has proven himself to be not only a war hero but also a cultural one, a man who had all the opportunity in the world to self-righteously grandstand in the face of mean-spirited mockery, but instead chose the classy route of grace.

Following his appearance on "Saturday Night Live" this past weekend, during which the newly-elected congressman accepted cast member Pete Davidson's apology for mocking his missing eye during a recent "Weekend Update" segment, Dan Crenshaw told NBC's "Today" that he hopes for a future when people "stop looking for reasons to be offended."

"It felt good. It felt like the right thing to do, and I would appreciate if everybody would stop looking for reasons to be offended, and that’s what this was all about," Crenshaw said.

www.dailywire.com...

So Although I feel this is a lesson we can use every where in our lives, it seems to fit in politically which is why I put it in this forum.

A brief recap of the situation.

Guy on snl makes fun of Crenshaw (whi has now been elected to congress in Texas as a republican) because he has an eye patch. Turns out he hurt is eye serving our country in the military.

So a bunch of right wing type people took the opportunity to lambaste SNL for mocking veterans.

Crenshaw says he doesnt want an apology.

Then he does the aboslute right thing.

The guy from snl who made the joke apologizes the next week on snl, and Crenshaw shows up and jokes around with him, before saying we should come together.

This was not only the right thing to do strategicly for Crenshaw, as it makes him seem quite reasonable, but also morally the right thing as it shows us that humor can bring us together.

When did we lose the ability to laugh at ourselves?

Comedy is one of the greatest means to bring people together and stop the divide that is being encouraged to form between us by many people in power.

Many on the right have long criticized the left for being snowflakes and racing to be offended (which I agree). And time and time again, many of these same people on the right are the first to get offended when they have the opportunity.

So shame on those from the right that were so offended at the snl joke.

And lest people think I am unbiased (i certainly am not) let me say shame on the people who are the drivers of comedy in this country who are almost uniformly leftists who defend the democrats. Not because they have offended me, far from it. But because they have forgotten that comedy is a righteous and worthwhile thing on its own, and they have made that secondary to being political advocates.

Lets get back to laughing at everyone, and stop racing to be offended. That will help us disagree without hating each other.

So take it from me, a fat balding yet hairy conceited self important moron, learn to laugh at yourself.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think it's ok for wounded military vets to be offended at an SNL joke that is basically, "OMG that guy looks stupid because of his military wounds. Haha look at his face." Wounded vets face similar reactions in their day to day lives and it's really not funny. Missing limbs, disfigurements, etc.

There are plenty of other cases where people get offended over nothing, but I don't think this was one of them.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I think it's ok for wounded military vets to be offended at an SNL joke that is basically, "OMG that guy looks stupid because of his military wounds. Haha look at his face." Wounded vets face similar reactions in their day to day lives and it's really not funny. Missing limbs, disfigurements, etc.

There are plenty of other cases where people get offended over nothing, but I don't think this was one of them.

I mean sure, anyone can chose to be offended for any reason, that is their right.

And maybe this joke was in bad taste toward military people.

But is worth getting offended over and demanding an apology?

Feminist use the same logic when they are offended by jokes that belittle women.

I chose to not be offended by almost anything that is designed to be an attempt at comedy. Nothing good comes of it, I would just change the channel.

Crenshaw shows that there is another way, and comes off looking all the better for it.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I must admit I teared up during that bit. Davidson's apology sounded genuine enough even though it is likely he was told his career was on the line. However I think his was genuine as he may have undergone a little maturing over that flippant quip.

SNL allowed Chrenshaw a sizable amount of time to get serious during the interchange and I suspect that was at his own insistence. And again the apology and acceptance on the part of both was warming to see.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Personally, I wouldn't criticize Davidson for any joke he makes.

I feel sorry for him, besides not being funny, somehow losing out on a heavily lopsided once in a life time relationship, lets also remember the man got a damn hilary clinton tatoo.

If that isn't bottom of the barrel, well. I think everyone should just let ol pete have at it.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I read the title and thought to myself

"no way this happened in Crenshaw"

turns out i was right

hahahahahahh

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
When is the last time you've seen a really good comedy? One that would be considered a classic that could stand the test of time and not just something with a few shock giggles and disposable ha-ha's? It has been ages for me. Comedy these days has become mean spirited and politically charged and for no other reason than to just make a fashion statement and say "Yay team!" rather than use the art of comedy to address an actual societal wrong or even promote a newfound understanding of an issue.

It makes me sad how satires like 'Blazing Saddles' or 'Tropic Thunder' could no longer be made in today's politically charged climate for comedy because people can no longer think beyond their surface response of being offended to even intellectually parse out the satirical elements. It is as if anything that can make you actually laugh and then think about why you are laughing is somehow now poisonous in nature. That mindset is completely backwards from where we should be in society right now with so many gravitating toward polarized extremes. Instead, now its just strong female character kicks weak male character in the testicles and that is both funny and just because (again) "Yay team!" and people in physical pain is hilarious or something.

Other classic satirically comedy styles such as 'South Park' on television or 'The Howard Stern Show' on the medium of radio that cut their teeth ridiculing the insanity and stupidity of the far religious right in the 80s and 90s have now mostly been forced to succumb to the insanity and zealotry of the illiberal far left. Especially in the case of Stern who has essentially adopted the politically fashionable mindset of the far leftist NPC. South Park, more or less, is kind of just picking and choosing their battles more carefully in an attempt at prudent survival. Their marketing campaign for this new season was even 'Cancel South Park' in a hilarious nod to this newfound struggle to stay funny in the age of the social justice horde.

It's all so very sad. And there is no greater indicator that you are heading in the wrong direction as a society than when your comedy has predetermined authoritarian constraints on what is allowed to be funny. If the comedy isn't funny then the people will reject it by simply not paying to go see it. Humor shouldn't be decided by a few zealots that are under the delusion that their moral purpose in life is to decide what everyone around them can and cannot enjoy in life.
edit on 12-11-2018 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I read the title as such too. I thought, next stop, Detroit! Lets love humans again FFS.

I am reminded of the black fellow at our Redneck barn party. He had the best whittie jokes and we had some blacie jokes that cracked his # up. We had a great night! His pants sagged our boots had cow crap on them. That was never even mentioned. I wish we had more of thouse diverse nights here in the sticks. Hell, II would load up and drive to east Dallas too if it was cool.

I am not sure if us peoples in Oklahoma and Texas are different than those in Chicago and such, but oversensitiveness is often fake news to further divide us. I think MSN wakes up and says " We got today's trigger?".

I spend every day with a best buddy that is question marked shape from crashing off a 25foot cliff in Afghanistan. He just said "tasteless? yes, apology accepted? yes, apology needed? not at all.".
edit on 12-11-2018 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I think most of the veteran communities offense was that it was a bad joke (including crenshaw), want to mock us go ahead but at least make it funny.

I may have disagreed with quite a bit of george carlin politically... but he would do it in such a way it was hysterical, comedians today by in large suck, they rely on shock rather than wit.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Countless scientific studies proving it to be true, a myriad of them certainly exist.

Meaning becoming an anti-comedy SJW thinker / a judgemental religious zealot / etc is literally bad for you health.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Nailed it. If we don't start making our core love, acceptance, and compassion (add education); mental health is screwed.

The best way to "unscrew" is to swallow your pride and let someone you have offended with your words or beliefs know you are sorry.
Maybe not changed your mind, but sorry about the offensive presentation.

When I was young I pictured the planet as a globe covered in 7billion flowers. Each flower affected the adjacent flower. It would bloom or wilt. I think there is wisdom in that vision.

edit on 12-11-2018 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

As I often do, I generally agree with your points above. You say ''And there is no greater indicator that you are heading in the wrong direction as a society than when your comedy has predetermined authoritarian constraints on what is allowed to be funny.'' and to a degree I think this is true but not limited to the idea of authoritarian. My contention is that this is true but dependent upon a general nature of authoritarianism. The authoritarianism of the market place.

Two perfect examples of this is one, the old laugh track authoritarianism that lends credence to what is funny and what is not by playing the sound of people laughing at this or that supposedly funny bit. Humor is humor because often it is edgy and catches us off balance. The laugh track verifies what is funny and not for those who just like it simple, those who do not like to think about it so much.

Another is the prominent use of trailers. In comedy trailers the ''funniest bits'' are placed and timed to the narration to feed quick laughs to those who might want to go and see the movie. Then in the movie often the audience will all laugh uproariously at all the bits that they know are supposed to be funny while entirely missing much of the other bits that are funny as well.

All of that has noting to do with political beliefs, it is all bottom line stuff. ''Everybody else is laughing so you will too'' Gee, I liked that so I will watch the next episode too and guess what , everybody else will laugh as well, see you next week.
And ''gee, I was right, look everyone else in the audience thought that was funny too so it must be''. I'' go and see the next movie by those guys and those actors.

Take that and add in the ''authoritarianism'' of the left and the picture deepens for me. That leftist perspective is not so much the result of leftist propaganda but rather the targeted audiences that will be drawn to that programming.

Again, bottom line. Why waste your money on conservatives who likely will not want to buy a ticket to that kind of show in the first place. Why turn off the audience with a balanced comedy spectrum.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

Galactic Propalatic!!!!

That skit still makes me laugh, along with Mr. Robinsons Neighborhood!

I saw the footage of Crenshaw on our local news this morning about the apology. I didn't get the ringtone reference, since I haven't watched SNL in ages, so I don't know who the people on there anymore.
For me, it just hasn't been funny in a long time.
(yeah, I know I'm dating myself with the above references. Lol)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

It was the comedians ex is what I am being told shes some pop singer now a days.

top topics

join