It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Echo may have recorded a murder happening Big Brother is listening

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
www.marketwatch.com...

An Amazon Echo may have captured audio of a cold-blooded killing in New Hampshire, and prosecutors have won the rights to the recordings, a judge ruled Friday.

Who are we kidding, we know the word "may" is a lie, it is recording everything, and millions of people are letting it.
Check out this story, not only did it record it, Echo sent the convo (just imagine how that could become a sensitive situation!)

www.npr.org...

But their Amazon Echo was listening and recording their discussion. The device then sent the recording to someone in their contacts — without the couple's knowledge.

I'm glad if this devices captures a murders, but not glad enough to get one or use it in my house.
Privacy doesn't exist anymore and a lot of that is our own fault. It is seriously like we are living in some sci-fi movie I watched as a child.

edit on 11-11-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You ain't kidding. They have access to much more than people realize. They don't understand that with the addition of these cool new gadgets comes a loss of privacy, freedom, and anything resembling ownership. They don't get that these tech companies have contracts and were funded by the government in their inception. Hence, they have exclusivity in any material obtained by said device for whatever purpose they deem fit. Its all in the contracts from funding and development agreements. With the exception of Apple in most respects.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Wait, are you kidding?

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Not quite the same but I'm sure your computer microphone can be manipulated to listen for any sounds near it. I have 3 devices actually where 2 probably have that capability. My phone and an Acer chrome book. I don't have a microphone or camera on my desktop.
Probably no one actually doing it but who really knows if their devices are being accessed. I wouldn't touch an xbox or smart appliance for any reason....

Remember the photograph where bunghole Mark Zukeberg had his laptop camera covered with tape?

This technology really is Satin's creation..

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I play Golf clash alot lol,

it saves your good shots so you can share them or watch them again or whatever.

sometimes when you watch them you can hear your self talking or your tv or your wife .

I have no idea why it would need to record us talking but it does

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   
That eerie random laugh issue from earlier this year was probably just a test to see if people were paying attention.

"OK, Google" is doing the same on Androids. Google and Amazon Echo say you can delete the recordings but doesn't matter much if it's already being sent off as explained by cases in the OP.

More on the New Hampshire murder - here.
It's good there's evidence to find out what really happened for justice, no doubt, but it boarders on privacy-luckily in the murder case the people were ignorant enough to have it on and listening-, especially in the other cases. Also, considering now there would be less confusion with digital evidence such as with the recordings in courts then with internet searches-as seen in the past. As these recordings shouldn't be used to send your personal data to insurance companies, etc.

The voice recordings could be tame comparatively to the following:

Amazon Cloud Cam- imagine what's being transmitted with those.

Cloud Cam features 1080p full HD resolution video, night vision, two-way audio, a wide viewing angle, and activity clips from the last day synced with the Amazon Cloud Cam app. Of course, the new security camera will work with Alexa devices like the Echo, Echo Show, Echo Spot, Amazon Fire TV, and Fire tablets. You can say, "Alexa, show me the [camera name]" and the assistant will bring up the requested feed from anywhere in your house.

Source

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Remember the lawsuit between the Robbins and the Lower Merion School District. Settled for 610K. The school board had purchased laptops for students to use to do their courses and homework. Each laptop had a camera sensor built in - not much more than a small pinhole camera at the top of the laptop lid. But for security reasons, this camera would take a snapshot every 10 seconds and upload that to a cloud server. Laptops had to be internet connected to access the school network.

One or more teachers discovered the directory where the security pictures from each laptop were stored and timestamped. For their entertainment, they could skim through these pictures as if they were scenes from a sitcom. But one of the teachers became overzealous and reprimanded a student for something they did at home. Then all hell breaks loose as everyone notices that the small blue light that came on every now and again was the camera becoming active.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I think people need to have a sticker on their door (all entrances) that say if they are using an Alexa/Echo or some other monitoring device in their home. IDK what the laws are but I know in stores if you are being recorded you must tell people. I think that should extend to homes as well - BUT - the home owner has every right to do so. I would probably stay out of a home with an Alexa/Echo just b/c I boycott these types of things.

Does a person (home owner, renter, hotel room renter, etc) have to tell another person if they are being recorded for either video or audio? I've never heard anything about this but I have heard some people claim that it is in fact illegal and they weren't talking about phone conversations either.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I avoid those like the plague. That and facebook and anything I cannot control absolute privacy setting on. Chances are if its too convoluted to to set up where you have full privacy, it ain't worth having.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
I think people need to have a sticker on their door (all entrances) that say if they are using an Alexa/Echo or some other monitoring device in their home. IDK what the laws are but I know in stores if you are being recorded you must tell people. I think that should extend to homes as well - BUT - the home owner has every right to do so. I would probably stay out of a home with an Alexa/Echo just b/c I boycott these types of things.

Does a person (home owner, renter, hotel room renter, etc) have to tell another person if they are being recorded for either video or audio? I've never heard anything about this but I have heard some people claim that it is in fact illegal and they weren't talking about phone conversations either.

Yes, there was a police case in Toronto. A couple renting a flat through AirBnB found a spycam in their bedside clock. It was pointing directly at the bed:

metro.co.uk...

Spycams can be placed in fire detectors, cuddly toys and even smiley badges.
edit on 12-11-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
My wife's boss put one in her office to help her out she knew exactly what he was up to. He has all e mails and anything on the computer sent to him and his daughters job is to monitor it all. His business he can do it. They don't talk in the office except with customers now.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Not quite the same but I'm sure your computer microphone can be manipulated to listen for any sounds near it. I have 3 devices actually where 2 probably have that capability. My phone and an Acer chrome book. I don't have a microphone or camera on my desktop.
Probably no one actually doing it but who really knows if their devices are being accessed. I wouldn't touch an xbox or smart appliance for any reason....

Remember the photograph where bunghole Mark Zukeberg had his laptop camera covered with tape?

This technology really is Satin's creation..

i am very sure that the camera and microphone can be manipulated. back with my first laptop, which was the first computer i had with a mic and camera built in, i noticed this issue. i never paid any heed to those who made such claims. after all what did i have to worry about. yet after awhile i was doing some typing and i noticed that it was sounding a bit weird as i typed. plugged some headphones in and sure enough i was hearing the clicking of the keys through the speakers/headphones. so i figured i must have at some point turned the mic on. i went through and turned the mic off. again awhile later i noticed the same thing. so i again turned the mic off as well as moved the mic gain to zero. this went on and on with the mic turning it's self on all the time.

then with my second laptop i of course paid more attention to it. and one thing i noticed was that with the newer one, that the mic would still be "off" yet i could hear the keys clicking. and that it was just the "gain" that was increasing. in fact when i let it go i noticed that the gain was always slowly creeping up each time i looked until it reached maximum. in other words the mic was not just turning on, but increasing in volume over time which would not be as noticeable, until it became obvious by hearing the clicking of keys. i therefore now always cover up built in cameras on all my computers that i use. since it has been more than proven to me that it would be easy to have them on while they show as being "off" when checking the state. something that would be rather easy to do within the programming of the device. what i would really like to see on devices with built in mics and cameras would be a physical, mechanical switch to turn them off and on. something that could not be run without your knowledge since there would be no power to said devices without that switch being manually turned on.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I say that if you own one of these things you should save up your farts and walk by it at least a couple times a day and crack a big one right in the microphone so that if anyone ever has to listen to it, they'll have no choice but to listen to butthole ASMR. You can give them the real inside scoop. A precious memory they may never forget.
edit on 12-11-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I think it's a fair trade off, now we can directly query the NSA and inquire if cats do indeed like pancakes.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   
BTW, I do have a Kindle tablet and I'm not the biggest fan of it's "telescreen" ways but the only reason I even bought it was that it was dirt cheap (for a tablet) and I can watch Youtube on it anywhere without worrying about dropping a breaking an expensive tablet. Occasionally I use it to check the weather or something. Sometimes I do shop Amazon with it and make orders with it.

I tend to put it in a drawer or something when I'm not using it and turn off it's wifi (it tends to slow down my whole network when it's enabled).

My main PC doesn't even have a microphone or a camera (that I know of). Not that I'm that worried about busybodies seeing my flabby naked butt but I just never had any use for them.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Don't forget all the permissions you freely give away just to use an app on your phone. The big boys are playing games trying to see who can build a better profile of you. It is getting better with machine learning and new algorithms. Just don't do anything illegal and you'll be ok.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Creepiest commercial ever.....

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
A lot of restraining and stalking orders are now including the ECHO and Alexa devices to part of the restraining order ...as the stalker can hack or follow the victim through these devices .

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

We're very close to a world where everyone has a device/robot/AI like Echo/Siri/Google based on government mandate.

Soon, we won't be calling police during an emergency... we'll be screaming "Hey Siri, I'M BEING STABBED BY AN INTRUDER!!!" at our personal AI robot so our murderer can be caught.

Today, I'm saying this is crazy. Tomorrow, it won't be news.

(Soon after that, Minority Report will be your reality)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
you want privacy?

Unplug all your internet devices. Wifi or cabled. Get your phones disconnected. Throw away your mobiles etc.

That is the only way you'll get privacy. Mass surveillance isn't even anything new.
Who remembers Echelon?

Heck these things do not even have to monitor you. People stupidly post things best kept in private to social media all the time of their own free will. Idiots live stream their murders now, record the people they're raping, post about the car they just stole. And that's just at the extreme end.

Seen plenty of things from friends that I would never of heard about in a pre-net world, happily airing their dirty laundry etc.

Main problem is people have no idea about the tech they use, how it works, how to secure it. Plenty of people still just use the default passwords on things, no idea their neat new IP camera they can view from work is also streaming their entire household to the world on a website.

There are people who have become addicted to watching people kids sleep...... it's like watching a mainstream TV show for them.

Through their own ignorance and stupidity they're just giving away their entire lives, no need to be a government spy agency. All you need is to try universal default admin/admin on the neighbours wifi and join their network.

Seriously, people cry about this things like amazon, apple and google etc listening while using android phones, Smart TV's and computers that can do the same spying and not seeing the irony of it.

No doubt we'll see another of these posts again in the year. With the same paranoia and still nobody taking control of it and doing anything about it for themselves. Still using the same tech they hate, but is okay because it's a different brand.
(Except last time it was a couple in a kitchen talking about not murder that sent a message to their friend. Stories always similar but the details change....)

The average person is still a cave man in fancy clothes. That's the real problem.
Cannot complain when you agree to the terms of service that say you agree to all this when you sign up.

Maybe people should read what they're click next and I accept on more. Pick up a manual and actually read how that phone/computer/TV works and how to make it secure.

Oh but that would require facing mankinds greatest modern enemy. Making an effort. lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join