It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No One Has Ever Crossed Antarctica Alone. Two Men Are Trying Right Now.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

On their first day, Rudd went a little harder than O’Brady and skied 4.6 miles to grab an early lead. He maintained that edge for the next few days, but in nearly whiteout conditions Thursday, when both men had to stare at compasses bracketed to their chests to stay on track, O’Brady marched 20 miles in 12 hours to catch Rudd. On Friday, again in whiteout conditions, he pushed past Rudd and grabbed his first lead. Whoever wins, if successful, these two men will be forever linked in polar lore. “People have been trying to do this for 100 years, and nobody has successfully done it yet,” O’Brady said. “And here are two guys both pushing each other to hopefully conquer an impossible feat.”

No One Has Ever Crossed Antarctica Alone. Two Men Are Trying Right Now.

Each determined to become the first person to cross Antarctica alone without support — a 921-mile odyssey on ice through blasting winds that could take as many as 65 days. It’s a trek that killed a man two years ago.

The title should say unsupported and alone. They cannot accept any help and no supplies have been dropped along the way for them. Everything they need to survive must be pulled along with them on a sled.

This will be a great accomplishment if one or both of them make it. I wish them the best of luck.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Sorry, but the great British and Norwegian polar explores 100 years ago, had it much tougher. Even though they where in a team.

From your link, look what they are taking with them.

Their stashes included sleeping bags good for conditions up to minus 40 Fahrenheit, portable solar panels, cross-country skis, hand-held satellite phones and modems, and a GPS tracker programmed with way points to lead them step by frozen step across the largest, highest, driest and by far the coldest continent on earth

Nothing like that was available to polar explorers 100 years ago.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
ummm... arnt they worried about falling off the edge of the earth?

Not to mention the nazi aliens out there

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Sorry, but the great British and Norwegian polar explores 100 years ago, had it much tougher. Even though they where in a team.

From your link, look what they are taking with them.

Their stashes included sleeping bags good for conditions up to minus 40 Fahrenheit, portable solar panels, cross-country skis, hand-held satellite phones and modems, and a GPS tracker programmed with way points to lead them step by frozen step across the largest, highest, driest and by far the coldest continent on earth

Nothing like that was available to polar explorers 100 years ago.

I think they had supplies staged for the journey. You are correct though, with out our 21st century tech it couldn't be done. Maybe in 50 more years tech will have advanced where someone will be able to cross it longways.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I hope they both make it and nationality is meaningless in terms of human endeavour. Imagine the sheer monotony of the landscape when they're moving so slowly and the isolation. Mile after mile sapping their strength and testing their will to overcome all of their psychological and physical weaknesses. Stubbornness and pride aren't the best of human qualities and yet they're definitive in these kinds of challenges.

I had no idea internet had reached the Antarctic either. Should we be pleased or saddened that Instagram has infiltrated one of the most extreme and virgin landscapes left on Earth? It's all a part of justifying the corporate sponsors I suppose. A necessary evil and it's way better to focus on the nitty gritty reality of two men standing against one of the harshest environments out there.

It's so cool to know there are classical challenges still out there. They're following in the footsteps of a select few crazy bastards who do this sort of # to feel alive. Much respect to all involved.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yes but, according to that red line, those two are not crossing all of Antarctica are they, its like the round the world yacht race, it does not actually go round the world, does it ?

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Yeah! Screw them and their weak ass 921 miles!!

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
There is one born every day.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
On the 7th Feb 2017, Mike Horn completed a solo north south crossing of Antarctica using skis and a kite.
Mike Horn - Antarctica

During his 57 days on Antarctica, Horn endured temperatures as low as -40˚C and winds as high as 300 kilometers per hour. (The winds however had their upside: he was at times able to use specially designed snow kites to move faster than he could have otherwise.) In all, he traveled some 5,100 kilometers from Novolazarevskaya to reach the other side of the continent.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Who are you referring to?

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

That's hardly "crossing Antarctica". It's walking through a part of it.

Impressive none the less.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
ummm... arnt they worried about falling off the edge of the earth?

Not to mention the nazi aliens out there
Don't be silly. The dome would break their fall if they did slip. Non issue.

And the Zazi aliens live inside flat hollow Earth. They mostly only visit inbred or low I.Q. folks who dwell in rural trailers.

So many misconceptions.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Idiots who will risk their life for being the first one to do something stupid.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
hopefully they live stream the wall

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Interesting, I was pretty sure Børge Ousland was the first to cross Antarctica solo and unsupported though I guess maybe the difference is he used a kite?

Related, there's a good documentary film about a pair of adventuring best friends, James Castrission and Justin Jones (Cas and Jonesy), hiking to the South Pole and back to the coast, called Crossing the Ice. They actually got beaten by Aleksander Gamme, whose own solo trek to the South Pole and back coincided with theirs. Without spoiling the film, it ends with one of the most impressive examples of camaraderie I've ever seen. It's a grueling ordeal that's sometimes uncomfortable to watch but ultimately uplifting.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The link in the OP mentions the kite trek.

Though a handful of adventurers have used kites to ride the winds across the continent or arranged for caches of food and fuel to be dropped along the way, the accomplished English polar explorer Ben Saunders was the last to attempt a solo, unsupported crossing. He chose a different route and tapped out after covering 805 miles in 2017.

The kite would speed up the journey but would seem to make it more dangerous. I have much respect for anyone who even tries to cross any part of the Antarctica. However they do it.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

Oh jeez!
Please forgive my ignorance
Lol

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Geez, they coulda just rented out a hotel room for the weekend...

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Idiots who will risk their life for being the first one to do something stupid.

You wouldn't be living where you do if it wasn't for people doing stupid sh1t.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Oh BS!

These guys are trying to find the Inner Earth entrance, oh and the annunaki atlantis civilization there lies there within.

They are trying to join up with Astr0.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join