It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today I experienced something quite alarming.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
Problem is when narrative becomes the news, dull minds take it as fact without forethought.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Would you feel better if everyone with a mental illness was given a 30 round plus AR? I know I sure wouldnt.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Galacticsun

They didn't like what you were saying so the censored your speech... what happens when they use your political ideology to disenfranchise your other rights? In the not so distant future, every comment you have made online will be used to flag you or label you.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

the lady in the video was making some good points until she focused on democrats as the "bad guy". she is doing the same thing as the people she is reporting on. once you call someone a "racist" or a "libtard", you are part of the problem. both sides are guilty of mud slinging and both sides are guilty of creating the divide we see in the country. it isn't one side that is the champion of the people, it's neither side has our best interest in mind.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JourneymanWelder

The problem there is that anyone that has ever been treated or seen by a psychologist or psychiatrist for any reason is on that list and will be denied 2A rights.

If you were diagnosed with cancer, had a rough time with treatments and surgeries, and talked to a professional about it...guess what? You are no longer 2A material. "Treated for depression".

The left, despite their desire to be seen as compassionate logical caring beings is anything but. They make up a new label for anything and anyone that stands in their way, attach something vile and hateful to it, and make it their battle cry. That is how being masculine became a threat. There is no end to this cycle of lunacy. Its like the fools who had their picture taken holding assault rifles - supporting a political candidate whose platform is anti-gun and vowed to take those exact weapons away from the general public. Even when it is harmful to themselves they still don't get it....

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Keeping surveillance on the mentally ill or denying those certain rights like guns is NOT necessarily a left-wing idea, as far as I could tell, or right-wing.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ltdan08

Far-left is absolute government control and far-right is absolute individual freedom.

World history and the present has indisputably proven that "far" anything, left or right seeks government control over it's people.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I consider any news article that doesn't provide debate suspect. The woman in the video is right and when she blames democrats she is right on target. The lot of them are funded by the socials. They are all after the same thing. The problem is when they get what they want, most of the producers and problem solvers will be gone.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Galacticsun
Today I experienced something quite alarming, and it's making me seriously question what's going on.  I made a post on a yahoo news article ... (snippage)

I was very surprised that my patient explanation of my positions were quickly gaining traction as I was the top comment thread with a very strong thumbs up ratio.  For a moment I felt people do still listen to logic and reason than to automatically follow group think and throw labels at you when they can't think of a better way to respond.  And then with no warning, Yahoo removed my entire thread even though it was strongly liked and the most active, and yet Yahoo left dozens of threads active which were calling conservatives a bunch of Nazi gun loving idiots (I'm more independent but if forced to choose the lesser of two bad choices I would still go with conservative over a party which is strongly flirting with anarchy if things don't go their way). 

Are you sure it was YOUR comment that got the thread/subthread removed?

Speaking as a moderator of other boards, I can tell you that there are a number of reasons that a thread will be shut down. The fact that your comment stayed up for so long indicates that they didn't have a problem with your statement.

HOWEVER... there may have been some sort of brawl in the responses where the moderator was constantly removing a lot of nasty retorts to the point where the thread has degraded into a "gang war" where threats are exchanged and the issue of policing it takes more time and effort than it's worth. And so it's nuked.

Another thing that causes the comment section to be nuked is when it's attacked by auto-spammers... which starts to happen if any thread becomes very popular. Once it's tagged for access by spammer bots, the only sane thing to do is just shut it down or (if the spam-bots can respond to individual comments even when the main statement is locked for further comments) nuke the whole thing.

The fact that it stayed up and was popular indicates that it didn't violate any standards.... but that there was another issue that caused it to be removed.

... in my experience.

The second thing that caught my eye was that your statement was pretty similar to the position that many liberals take (and they immediately get lambasted by 2nd Amendment people.) This "guns shouldn't be in the hands of people with PTSD/aggression control/etc issues" is one of the main liberal talking points whenever there's a mass shooting.

The brawl in the comments may have been one of liberals vs 2nd amendment folks but I can't see any of the 2nd Amendment folks unquestioningly supporting your position.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I think it's interesting that you immediately jump to the conclusion that this is about YOU.

Perhaps you have an overinflated sense of self-importance, yes?

Just a thought.

A thought that happens to "fit".

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Fact is there are many mentally unbalanced people in the world. There's a difference between being insane and criminal insane. Most mentally ill people are not criminally insane. Meaning most mentally ill people don't commit crimes. There are 3 million people with schizophrenia in this country and only a small percentage of them are criminally insane.

Psychopaths and sociopaths are another story. 1% of the population are psychopaths meaning they have no conscience. They feel no guilt or remorse for their actions. Psychopaths are born that way. Sociopaths are similar but they aren't born that way they're made from years of abuse.

Chances are you probably work with a psychopath or sociopath and know one. Many CEO's are psychopaths because they like to be in a position of power.

If I were a simple minded person OP I'd give you a star. There were 18,000 homicides last year in this country. You can round up all the mentally ill people you want you're still not going to stop cold blooded murder.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Byrd, you make some really insightful points, and I couldn't say that for 100% certainty it was because of my words that my post got taken down, however it was a very productive thread and I was keeping a close eye on it. There were a few arguments that broke out among other commenters, but nothing too terrible. Most of the really bad comments were aimed at me and there were several commenters who took severe offense when I said that most of the prison population is made up of people who are mentally ill, emotionally unstable, or low in intelligence. I got numerous angry responses of people stating how a very large percentage of prisoners are as a result of disenfranchisement and were victims... I came back with strong arguments against this and reiterated that not everyone has the same ability for logic and reason. After pushing back on people calling me hitler, judgemental, etc... I made a prediction that 20 years in the future DNA analysis will be so sophisticated that there will be dating sites that rely on them as part of member profiles (I'm not sure I agree with this necessarily, but I see it coming clear as day), and this will probably be the preferred method that people want to choose their mates as they will feel it gives them a more complete picture of who they are. This DNA analysis will be all about "propensity and probability". The propensity and probability of height, health issues, mental stability, etc... It was shortly after I posted this that I got the boot. My guess is that some may have felt I was advocating for Eugenics which I know little about but apparently it has a racist stigma attached to it (rightly or wrongly I don't know enough about the topic to say). What I do think however, is that most people already practice their own brand of DNA analysis when looking for a mate by being attracted to certain traits they see as desirable like health, intelligence, good looks, etc). One thing I will say, is that even though I was advocating a sort of gun control in the sense that mentally ill people should not own guns... I felt that most, even strong conservatives agreed with that. It was mostly people taking offense at my assertion that not everyone is equal when it comes to intelligence that stirred the pot and resulted in me getting names thrown at me. My sense is that in this particular case they were left leaning commenters but with that said, I do realize names and mud slinging happen by both sides.. however I will also say that I get the sense that one side tends to have far more intense hatred than the other.. and I've personally witnessed this time and time again and it is a bit concerning. I truly do wish people with sound thinking and intelligence would be given the floor more often in society, but it seems like people are very easily swayed by emotions these days. I hope for the best and hope cooler heads prevail.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

I see where you're coming from, and I agree... there are many, many hurting people out there that have mental illness, lack of self control, emotions they find very difficult to control, and cognitive short comings that they themselves probably become aware of as they carry on with life. We live in a flawed human race and it's made all the more unfair in that these people didn't choose to be this way, they just are. Many people would probably have also turned out differently if they were exposed to different enviromental factors, but time and reality make no distinction of this, and what is, simply is, and we can't rewind time as much as we would like to. The best we can do is make the future as bright as we can through intelligent choices while still giving the less fortunate among us some sense of dignity without compromising the greater good.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

originally posted by: ltdan08

Far-left is absolute government control and far-right is absolute individual freedom.

World history and the present has indisputably proven that "far" anything, left or right seeks government control over it's people.

That's just a lie you've been sold. It's a false analysis of left-right so the media and the left can get away with calling conservatives "far-right" and "Nazis." Except Nazis were far left as are the Saudi religious extremists, and the communists, and the modern liberal left. It doesn't matter what you use but if your main doctrine is state-sanctioned reduction of personal freedom, you are far-left.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   

A lot of comments sections are going down everywhere. That's because people feel free to be as mean, nasty hateful and arrogant, and lets face it, racist as they like anonymously and with relative impunity. People say things on those sections they would never in a million years say publicly, so its like everyone's inner demon has a soapbox to stand on. I am in the process of stopping it as well, it gives you a very depressing and negative appraisal of you fellow human beings. Many comment sections have just become cesspools of hate speech IMHO, and serve almost no other purpose.Its a window into how racist and hateful many people still are, and it shocks you because we are all under the impression that things arent as bad as they are I suppose. One of the nice things about ATS is that at least on this site there is still some degree of civility. I hope it continues.

edit on 12-11-2018 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   

well when the US government made it legal to use propaganda on its citizens they decided you cant think for yourself , and so through the CIA and major media the US group think is controlled and directed by the CIA !

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Take solace in that people are still generally good. Remember always the divide and conquer routine. Never give up your humanity. We will prevail.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I'm feeling slightly disheartened over this, especially realizing how much power mainstream media has... and I'm nervous about what their end agenda is... there is clearly an agenda, and someone out there knows what it is.

Here are a few links to look at, they have been discussed on ATS before.

Agenda 21

Trilateral Commission

CFR

Bilderberg Group

The rabbit hole is deep.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The disabling of comments section on many sites maybe a result of the new EU rules which makes the site owners responsible for the comments made by the various posters. Big fines for what is deemed "hate speech" and threatening comments. The definition of such speech seems to be totally arbitrary, someone complains, it is deemed hate speech. Some organizations are protecting themselves against the EU, no one wants a designation as a hate speech site nor do they want to pay tremendous fines.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

It's a shame when a good discussion gets fouled by meme-pictures and comment based on reading one line (or a title) and nothing more. I do love a good discussion that avoids angst and anger.

While folks in the future may use DNA as some sort of predictor, nurture and environment are a stronger influence on outcome than DNA. My husband's family has the genetic code for depression (and he has it) and it's quite severe... but had I gone on DNA alone, I would have ended up staying with my abusive first husband and missed out on my delightful second husband (we've been married 45 years.)

I still hope that conservatives will step up with some sort of idea on how to address this, but to date the solution seems to be "arm everybody" -- and our own American history shows that doesn't work. In the Wild West, one of the first things that would happen after a town got organized and a sheriff was hired was that they would ban guns in the town (for those of you interested in the source of this data, here' s a short article that gives a summary of the data and here's a longer article in the Smithsonian with details you can research on the same topic.)

I hope we can come to a better solution, even via tiny steps. But that takes having rational discussions and an ability to compromise to find a middle ground to move forward on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join