It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for a press boycott of White House press conferences

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Anne Applebaum

@anneapplebaum

Time for a press boycott of White House press conferences

-Twitter

Really?
If that’s a threat, you don’t seem to comprehend how a threat works.
You threaten to do something that folks are begging you not to do.
You don’t threaten to do something most folks wish you would do.
This is like saying, “If you don’t let me come to your party, get drunk, puke on the food table and get into fights, then I’m not coming to your stupid party!”
Or, it’s like cat-owning, crabby feminists vowing to withhold sex until you vote the way they want.
It’s just not much of a threat.
The fact is, if these partisan Trump haters boycotted the White House Press Briefings, the reporters that remain will be those who actually take their job seriously and ask honest, probing questions.
Sounds glorious, no?
We haven’t had that in years.

patriotretort.com...

Uh. . . . okay.

So the press, the MSM wants to boycott the White House.

Trying to figure this out.

What WAS the purpose of the press? I mean, does the White House NEED the press in order to function? Or is the MSM thinking too highly of itself?

Since the advent of the internet, many of us has become "citizen journalists".

We report, we opine, we dissect the news, the events that happen.

Has the MSM become less relevant?

Now some talk of boycotting.

Welp, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

In a way... this is a bit of a problem for the press, right?

Now it's just non-stop horse s**t, and if they boycott, they'll have to spin even harder, to have anything to say.

I WILL ALWAYS believe journalists should have an adversarial relationship with power. Problem is, we have so FEW journalists nowadays.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If they boycott WH press conferences it would result in the collective intelligence of the US populace rising, probably overnight.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
CNN is filing a lawsuit against Trump and Whitehouse to get Jim Acosta's press pass reinstated.

This should be entertaining!

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

New York (CNN) CNN is filing a lawsuit against President Trump and several of his aides, seeking the immediate restoration of chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's access to the White House.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The courts disagree

“White House press facilities having been made publicly available as a source of information for newsmen, the protection afforded news gathering under the First Amendment guarantee of freedom of the press, requires that this access not be denied arbitrarily or for less than compelling reasons,”

Judge Carl E. McGowan wrote for a unanimous three-judge panel.

“Not only newsmen and the publications for which they write, but also the public at large have an interest protected by the First Amendment in assuring that restrictions on news gathering be no more arduous than necessary, and that individual newsmen not be arbitrarily excluded from sources of information.”

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
CNN is filing a lawsuit against Trump and Whitehouse to get Jim Acosta's press pass reinstated.

This should be entertaining!

Remember when Fox News was reporting that President Obama had illegally seized the presidency? That he was born in Kenya? That he was a covert terrorist complete with secret fist-bumps with his wife?

..And then Pres. Obama had those idiots hard pass security credentials for access to the WH press conferences revoked?

Oh, that's right. He didn't.

Why don't you think Pres. Obama pulled the hard passes of reporters claiming he was not even legally Potus and was a secret terrorist?

So many here think this issue is a team competition.

This slide has implications for both Dems and GOP and everyone in between, cuz the next President might be Dem. and all the whataboutism in the future will be bankrupt of credibility and meaningless unless the right takes a stand now when it is inconvenient.

CNN would win in court based on precedence even if it goes to SCOTUS. The WH will relent before then IMO to save themselves the embarrassment.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

If CNN wins, the President should simply stop all press conferences. He can put out written statements, do broadcasts from the Oval Office, and tweet. No one in this country should have special rights due simply to their employment, and that is exactly what you are arguing about without even stating clearly who has these special rights (except for Jim Acosta, who I can only assume has them because he hates Trump as much as you do).

We the people certainly do not have them. I believe you (or someone anyway) mentioned White House tours... try to explore areas that are not on the tour sometime... no, don't, because you will be arrested on the spot.

Donald Trump was elected by the People. The people in his administration were appointed by him (directly or indirectly). Jim Acosta was neither elected nor appointed by someone who was elected. He works for a private company that has no more rights to the White House than anyone else. The press briefings are conducted at the whims of the President; the reporters are called on at the whims of the President; the questions that can be addressed are chosen at the whims of the President.

Jim Acosta pushed away a White House Intern who was trying to take the mic at the request of the President. That is unacceptable behavior; earlier Presidents would have likely had Secret Service intervene. Trump at least did not; he allowed Acosta to ask his question, answered it, then tried to move on to the next reporter. Acosta refused to give up the mic and physically prevented an intern from doing her job. That is simply not allowed, and Acosta should actually be barred for life from the premises. You or I would be.

You, sir, are being either disingenuous or intentionally obtuse by trying to make the incident into something else. It's all on video. This is exactly why the great divide between Republicans and Democrats exist: because when one side is obviously wrong, they will not accept it, even though simple reason demands they do!

One of the more right-leaning posters on this site just put out a thread that was ridiculous about the House was going to take away everyone's guns. I called them out, too. The difference is that that thread died. You want to keep this one alive, keep driving home this silly notion that Jim Acosta has guaranteed and irrevocable access to the government that is somehow inalienable... why?

I'd really like to know why...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I've seen all of your other anti trump posts and topics you pollute our ATS website up with. Barry Hussein should never have been in the WH if the crazy Dems didn't steal another election but the Rep candidate was joke anyhow - a dem in Republican clothes. The crazy corrupt Demos are not likely to get in the WH again for a very long time, maybe never.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDidHappen

I've seen all of your other anti trump posts and topics you pollute our ATS website up with. Barry Hussein and Manchelle should never have been in the WH if the crazy Dems didn't steal another election but the Rep candidate was joke anyhow - a dem in Republican clothes. The crazy corrupt Demos are not likely to get in the WH again for a very long time, maybe never.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

If CNN wins, the President should simply stop all press conferences.

Hilarious.
This was his second press conference in two years.
Pres Obama gave 17 in his last two years and the right-wing went berserk claiming he was suppressing the press by not giving enough press conferences.
Long story short - Who cares if Trump doesn't give another press conference? Most of what he says are either lies or a nonsense word salad bragging about himself.

However - as long as he wants to have Sanders or others hold press conferences, he can't selectively pull credentials from reporters that ask questions he doesn't like.

I believe you (or someone anyway) mentioned White House tours... try to explore areas that are not on the tour sometime... no, don't, because you will be arrested on the spot.

For Security purposes. That is not why Acosta had his Secret Service Hard Pass revoked.

Your conscience seems to be impenetrable to that simple reality.

The rest of your post seems to be regurgitation TLDR.

I have already addressed everything you have asked complete with article and court case citations.
You don't seem to have read any of it, so as often is the case I will let reality be my rebuttal.
I suggest you follow the outcome of CNN's lawsuit for a better understanding of where you went astray in your thinking since my repeated and direct responses don't seem to be gaining traction.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

This was his second press conference in two years.

Sarah Sanders/Sean Spicer gave daily press conferences for two years. They abused Sean so badly he left. Sarah can't even have an evening out to dinner without being attacked.

Do you really expect the President to directly and personally give regular press conferences? He's trying to run the country, not placate the damn media.

That is not why Acosta had his Secret Service Hard Pass revoked.

No, and it wasn't because he asked a question either. It was because he was monologing, he refused to sit down when asked to do so by the President, and forcefully resisted giving the mic back to a White House intern. Jim Acosta is not in charge of the White House or even the West Wing of the White House. He's nothing more than a reporter who overstepped his bounds and got his butt slapped down for it. Boo-hoo-freakin'-hoo! Poor baby! Cry me a river.

I have already addressed everything you have asked complete with article and court case citations.

Bovine excrement.

You have shown cases that say a reporter cannot be arbitrarily denied a press pass, but most of those were overturned by higher courts. You have shown nothing, not a single case or argument, that says someone cannot be expelled from a press briefing and their pass pulled over improper behavior.

Because there is no such restriction. Jim Acosta does not have special inalienable rights because he works for CNN.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

They abused Sean so badly he left.

No. It was the hiring of Mooch what done it.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigned on Friday following his disagreement with President Donald Trump’s decision to appoint Anthony Scaramucci, a Wall Street financier, as the new communications director, according to multiple White House officials.
www.politico.com...

Spicer told The Associated Press that he resigned to clear the way for Scaramucci, saying, "We're at the point where" the president "could benefit from a clean slate." He said Scaramucci’s tenure will “be great,” adding, “He's a tough guy."

Ah, Mooch. The brightest stars burn out fastest.

edit on 11/13/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That was the final straw, yes. The whole thing about a "clean slate" was referencing the problems with the press conferences. I remember an interview with Spicer where he clarified that.

Mooch was a character... I'll give him that. Glad he's gone. He wasn't good for America. I had almost managed to forget him... thanks a lot for reminding me. [/sarcasm]

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

Or writers from Reader's Digest, Shotgun News, The Daily Racing Form, Weekly Reader, L'Osservatore Romano (Vatican daily), etc., and seating them with some radio shock jocks and internet bloggers.

I sometimes occasionally every now and then write for Viz comic, can I go please?

viz.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Give him his pass deny access to the grounds.

Wait for more court stuff

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Thank you for your informative reply.
it would appear I have undersetimated you, a mistake I wont make again.

your reply was very informative, and yet you did not take opportunity to make a jab at me, despite the post replied to I made a small one at you. I suspect you are one of good reason and intellect, as you not only provide factual information but also are willing to cite your sources when necessary, as opposed to many on both sides who think their opinions should trump law.

I would like to apologize for any moment I may have spoken in some form of hostility to you.

I respect a fellow member who likes to use reason and logic, even if our discourse comes from opposing views or parties.

I look forward to our next debate, it always gives me hope for constructive discussion to see that not all are letting their emotions triumph over logical and sound reason.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Like I said.

Reality will sort this out for you.

Judge Timothy Kelley (Chosen and appointed by Trump in Sept. 2017) will hear the case tomorrow at 3:30 Eastern Time.

I fully expect him to grant an immediate temporary injunction restoring Acosta's access and cite the First Amendment.

The Trump administration will then grant Acosta's pass on the Temporary Injunction and then quietly slink away and settle the case when the public's attention is elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Being invited to be a member of the press in the White House is a privilege.

Not a right.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Being invited to be a member of the press in the White House is a privilege.

Not a right.

Incorrect.

Being President is a privilege.
Living in a house owned by the taxpayers is a privilege.

Freedom of the press is a constitutional right.

Watch as the CNN case makes it way through the courts and conservative judges hand Trump his ass.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

*sigh*

Hide and watch. Tomorrow at this time you'll be claiming Judge Kelly is biased because Trump appointed him.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join