It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Make Up Crap threatens to pull Federal Funding from California Wildfires

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

California cannot print money. The US can.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I'm quite aware of that. Thank you.

(Gotta cover them tax cuts.)
edit on 11/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Exactly. And further to add:

www.vox.com...

Much of California is naturally hot, dry, and prone to fires much of the year. But the state’s population is growing, leading to a significant overlap between the areas of high fire risk and areas with a growing population density, as you can see in these maps from a 2014 study of population trends in California projecting out to 2050:

The study estimated that by 2050, 645,000 houses in California will be built in “very high” wildfire severity zones

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

has created these artificial tinderboxes we call "houses,"

You got me thinking why the US doesn't build more brick and mortar and I know its because of abundance of timber

www.quora.com...

There are many factors that led to this phenomenon: First- abundant availability of timber, as its always less cost to construct with locally available material.

Second -construction knowledge of labor, as near to 70% of the people know about the way of construction with timber. And mostly all the homeowners who build a new house tend work as construction labor too. It's easy for them to be involved in wooden construction.

Third - insulation of the house, as most of the construction in cold weather region needs additional insulation even after brick and mortar construction. So mostly they prefer wooden constructions.

Maybe zoning and building regs have to keep up with the times going into drier climate future.

Whilst its not a perfect solution it will mitigate further fuel for fires if more houses are built of bricks.

Are Americans prepared to change a whole mind set as to how houses are built? Can it be done quickly enough. Will there be push back from the Timber builder industry? Lobbying comes to mind.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

california is an eq zone and traditionally brick homes dont do well in large earthquakes so that may help with fires it would be terrible for another loma type earthquake

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Actually, brick is not considered a bearing material, so it cannot be used to hold up the ceiling/roof of a structure. Brick is considered a veneer... it's purpose is mostly decorative, although there are insulation, maintenance, and durability advantages as well. In addition, while brick offers some insulation properties as noted above, it pales in comparison to traditional batt insulation.

Brick is also much more brittle than a wood framed structure. It cannot bend at all, and will crack into dust if subjected to high forces (which is why it is not considered a bearing material). A purely brick house in a hurricane, for instance, is just a stack of heavy rocks waiting to be flung at someone.

Wood is the best option we have for housing at present (plastic sounds promising, but the price is still exorbitant). It's just too bad it is also flammable.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

he is also not stopping funding so no reason to get your panties in a wad.

Course not..... he was just blowing smoke ..... as usual.
Kinda like the caravan that will storm our borders to vote illegally in the midterms. Send the troops. Call Capt. America. Put out the bat signal. We need strength so vote republican.
whee whaaa
so sorry jim.... lovely parting gifts at the exit.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I expected you were; however your post seemed to indicate you weren't.

Better safe than sorry.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

kind of like living in an old style Jiffy Pop container. You shake and you bake.
All kidding aside
Every place has something. Where should we live? Underground?
I live on the Atlantic Ocean in hurricane territory. We rebuild and wait for the next one.
As we say here on the coast, if you want to live on the water, ya gotta expect that sometimes you're gonna live in the water.

No disrespect to the lives who were lost. Truly tragic.
Improved evacuation routes may be necessary. Maybe fire breaks that can double as escape routes when not in peril themselves. a dirt road is better than no road. The city could enforce easements that allow escape routes during danger.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Course not..... he was just blowing smoke ..... as usual.
Kinda like the caravan that will storm our borders to vote illegally in the midterms. Send the troops. Call Capt. America. Put out the bat signal. We need strength so vote republican.
whee whaaa
so sorry jim.... lovely parting gifts at the exit.

I wonder, do you follow Trump's tweets...lol

Trump was saying their forest management is totally F'ed up, is that clearer?

Is this the made up part?

Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests.

He talks about two serous issues that the left just want to say na na na too. Our immigration problems and mismanagement of our forests. CA says don't tell us how to manage our forests, oh BTW now that we have done such a crappy job give us billions...His tweets are based on a level of frustration that he sees in things like this.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: Carcharadon

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: Annee

So really, I have to ask, do you have any opinion on the mismanagement, knowledge of the problem issues, dating back many, many years?

I mean really, they knew this could happen.
They did NOTHING about it?

They who?

Of what's burning, how much is:

-private land?
-state land?
-federal land?
-rented land?
-foreign owned land?
-corporate owned land?
-etc?

I can tell you in Bell Canyon they used to have like a homeowners association. Home owners were required to clear brush up to a certain distance from any structure. A watering system was installed on the hills surrounding the canyon -- paid by homeowners.

Why dont you do some research and let us know instead of posting pointless tweets from herpes ridden drug addict musicians.

Why don't you answer the question?

My response was to your question.

You first.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yin & Yang

I don't do "Ping Pong".

Sure you do deary.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: Annee

So really, I have to ask, do you have any opinion on the mismanagement, knowledge of the problem issues, dating back many, many years?

I mean really, they knew this could happen.
They did NOTHING about it?

They who?

Of what's burning, how much is:

-private land?
-state land?
-federal land?
-rented land?
-foreign owned land?
-corporate owned land?
-etc?

I can tell you in Bell Canyon they used to have like a homeowners association. Home owners were required to clear brush up to a certain distance from any structure. A watering system was installed on the hills surrounding the canyon -- paid by homeowners.

Used to, were, was.

And paid for by homeowners.

Was this "like a" homeowners association a state government agency/entity? If not, then I think that speaks directly to the issue at hand. The state is not doing a good job, and people on the ground are having to take care of it themselves.

My brother lived there. Also built homes there (Bell Canyon).

It was (maybe still is) a gated canyon.

You're a Republican?

And saying the government should be responsible not the people?

Convenient.

That...doesn't even touch my question.

And yes, if we have to pay taxes then it had better damn well do something about it. If not, let us keep our money and to hell with em.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Again, there is zero point or reason to discuss/debate with a polar opposite -- unless I crave attention.

I don't.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There is an alarming growing amount of hatred coming from the Trump supporters. People are dying and homes are being burned to the ground and Trump supporters proudly want to damn them all to hell. The list keeps getting longer of people the Trump party hates. I don't even feel comfortable calling them republican or conservative anymore.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Now, wait just a minute here... I have not, nor would I ever, be even complacent or comfortable in any way about people dying or losing their homes! Nor will I stand by and allow that kind of ignorance to go unchallenged!

And don't respond with "Oh, but I didn't mean you." We've all seen how that works... first it's just a general observation but not intended at anyone, then it's just a large minority, then a majority, and the next thing you know it's everyone. That's how the "racism" thing got started. If you didn't mean me, then I expect a FULL AND COMPLETE RETRACTION.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Now, wait just a minute here... I have not, nor would I ever, be even complacent or comfortable in any way about people dying or losing their homes! Nor will I stand by and allow that kind of ignorance to go unchallenged!

And don't respond with "Oh, but I didn't mean you." We've all seen how that works... first it's just a general observation but not intended at anyone, then it's just a large minority, then a majority, and the next thing you know it's everyone. That's how the "racism" thing got started. If you didn't mean me, then I expect a FULL AND COMPLETE RETRACTION.

TheRedneck

Did I @ you? Why are you acting like a victim? And being so sensitive? Trump supporters have no skepticism towards Trump. I can't call them republicans or conservatives. Isn't your hashtag walk away?

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Putin's plan is working.....

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

We have plenty of skepticism; we just don't give a flying rat's patootie about two scoops of ice cream! It's been two years; figure it out.

As for why I jumped so hard, I explained that. It worked for a while with the racist label... not gonna work this time, bub. You've been called out. Now either prove what you claim, retract it, or be forever known as a dishonest labeler. Your choice.

Oh, and I am not a Democrat, so the #walkaway thing doesn'y affect me. Nor am I a Republican, so the attacks against them don't upset me. I am an Independent, a Trump supporter, and therefore your slurs DO affect me.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
So I read up until page 5.

My take is on one hand even if trump is right, he shouldnt be playing politics during the tragedy. That is unnacceotable, and people have the right to call him out on that.

On the other hand, the people that seem to be calling him out the most are the very people that constantly play politics with tragedies like this.

Of course it goes without saying the democrats in politics and the msm do this.

But even some of the people on this thread are the first to criticize policy when their is a hurricane, or yell about gun policies when a shooting occurs. So well I agree with them on this instance, they are hypocrites.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
You know it's funny... "now is not the time to push a political agenda" usually comes from the right after a shooting or some sort of gun violence.... this time it's coming from the left. You guys are full of surprises!

A2D

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join