It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Make Up Crap threatens to pull Federal Funding from California Wildfires

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Not seeing any actual numbers there.

Bet there aren't any to back his BS I mean his "statement" up😆

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

So the question here is "Where's Brown?"

Leaving office, so he signed a bill into law that will regulate home water usage to 60 gallons a day.

So essentially, those of you in California will soon make the choice of whether to shower that day or do the laundry.

Not the government's fault but just the weather, right?

BILLIONS of gallons of water are lost each year in California because of crumbling infrastructure.

But hey... keep paying for illegals, raise the taxes higher for health care for all and be happy when in ten years you get 50 gallons per household.

Pro tip... don't have kids if you live in California.

They poop sometimes and you might need to flush that day.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

I kinda feel like you linked that first one for the title without actually reading it.

Pimlott said climate change and decades of poorly managed forests are causing longer fire seasons that stress resources and require new tools and methods to counteract.]

CLIMATE CHANGE? WUHWUHWHAAAAT? Are you telling all these fine folks that the "Chinese hoax" of global warming is real?

Governor Moonbeam and the rest must just be resting on their laurels in Liberaltopia?

In October 2015, Gov. Jerry Brown issued an emergency declaration to address the number of dead and dying trees as a result of extended drought conditions. An estimated 102 million trees died between 2010 and 2016 during the Golden State’s devastating drought, with about 62 million perishing in 2016 alone.

These trees are frequently to blame for wildfires, including the 2015 Butte Fire that burned 70,000 acres and destroyed 900 structures after a dead pine tree fell on power lines.

Cal Fire has partnered with the California Conservation Corps to organize crews to clear dead trees and conduct controlled burns in densely forested areas.

Pimlott informed the subcommittee that in the time since the declaration, Pacific Gas & Electric has cleared trees and brush from 100,000 miles of power lines across the state. California has spent $418 million to remove dead and dying trees statewide, which has been instrumental to reducing the amount of property damage caused by fires.

“Collectively, we have removed over 800,000 trees since the declaration,” Pimlott said. “We have focused primarily on the property damage side of things.” He credits the ability of multiple agencies, including Cal Fire, Caltrans, PG&E and others who have worked together to reduce the risk of unintentional fires.

Then you cherry picked what you liked from the second article, totally missing the overall picture painted:

Fire management, Pyne argues, is not a technological or scientific problem. This is a societal and political problem.

It means counties relocate power lines and clear forested corridors to eliminate that ignition source. "Another, deeper approach," he adds, "would be to have more local power sources like solar panels."

It means changing how fires are being managed. Pyne recommends California develop its urban fire services in parity with land management agencies that have experience controlling the state's combustible wildlands.

It means allowing more controlled burns, and it means applying the same citywide codes and zoning requirements to rural subdivisions.

But Cohen adds, codes won't keep homes entirely safe. "You can't code for firewood on decks, pine needles in rain gutters or dead fuel accumulations covered by a green cloak of leaves."

Fire protection, he says, cannot be the sole responsibility of fire departments. Homeowners and communities must assess "the ignition vulnerability of our houses," so that the firebrands, blown ahead of the flame front, fail to find flammable materials.

"We must change our perspective and approach to wildland-urban fire disasters by defining wildland-urban fires as a home-ignition problem rather than a problem of wildfire control," Cohen says. "We don't have to live in ammo bunkers with steel doors and concrete walls."

Pyne and Cohen suggest that agencies and officials look less at individual fires and instead at the repeated cycles of destruction. The same landscape burning decades apart is evidence that the current approach to fire prevention has failed.

"If we keep telling the same story — fire as disaster, the firefight as a battlefield — we won't advance our understanding," Pyne says.

"We need to change our perspective," Cohen says. "Wildfires are inevitable, especially under extreme conditions, but the disasters as a result don't have to be inevitable. We aren't going to get rid of wildfires, nor do we want to."

Hardly points to malfeasance or some sort of squandering of resources on the part of California's politicians. Which is what Trump implied.

We can live with fire, Pyne insists. "We need to change how we live."

What was it that Trump said again?

There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!

Apparently there are a lot of reasons. According to these two, it's not "gross mismanagement" so much as outdated perceptions that require a paradigm shift from the level of the individual homeowner on up.

And this is without even getting into a debate about whether or not their assessment is the most valid because you know, different experts have differing opinions.

None of them seem to agree with Trump though.

Trump on California’s wildfires: ‘Forest management is so poor’

“To have a president come out and say it’s all because of forest management is ridiculous. It completely ignores the dynamic of what’s going on around us,” said LeRoy Westerling, a climate and fire scientist at UC Merced.

He said rising temperatures and longer spells of dry weather were the main culprits in the increased number and ferocity of wildfires.

“Climate change is drying out our landscape. That’s not forest management. That’s managing your safe zones around a city,” Westerling said. “He’s going after California because Californians don’t vote for him.”

Brian Price, president of the 30,000-member California Professional Firefighters, called Trump’s first tweet “ill-informed, ill-timed and demeaning to those who are suffering, as well as the men and women on the front lines.”

“At a time when our every effort should be focused on vanquishing the destructive fires and helping the victims, the president has chosen instead to issue an uninformed political threat aimed squarely at the innocent victims of these cataclysmic fires,” Price said in a statement.

“The president’s assertion that California’s forest management policies are to blame for catastrophic wildfire is dangerously wrong,” he added. “Wildfires are sparked and spread not only in forested areas but in populated areas and open fields fueled by parched vegetation, high winds, low humidity and geography.”

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

WOW! That was impressive. (From a '46 boomer).

I'm from Baldwin Hills area.

Wild fires, soaked earth, landslides.

But, seems they always rebuild.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Much like the trailer parks in flood zones in Oklahoma...

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Says the liberal person who no doubt would back said California policies, which is why people got killed.

I'm beginning to think it's true... the Democratic party and their victim mentality actually draws mentally insane people to them.

Thus filling the party up with lunatics.

Do you not understand that liberal policies causes things like this in the first place?

Is there no cause/effect rationality to you, or do you just morn for the dead, not understanding why they died?

That's ironic. You're blaming "liberal policies" for the occurrence of natural disasters and you imagine you're the mistress of understanding cause and effect. I wonder if that's because so many binary thinkers, incapable of considering complex issues, gravitate to the party of false dilemma?

And btw, you're a real peach. Speaking of "victim mentality" — rage quit lately because people are such meanies?

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I don't think the trailer parks in OK quite compare to the homes in Malibu and surrounding area.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I don't think the trailer parks in OK quite compare to the homes in Malibu and surrounding area.

They do now 💥🤦💥

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

The people of California should get rid of the idiot leaders who run their state.

All manner of punishments from humans, and from nature, will continue to hammer the "Sunshine State", as long as greedy, perverted, selfish people are in charge.
edit on 11/10/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The people of California should get rid of the idiot leaders who run their state.

California seems to be doing quite well on the whole, actually.

Should the US get rid of its idiot leader too?

edit on 11/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

They do now 💥🤦💥

I know your humor.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: walkinghomer

Sparky?

I have fiends in that fire. They've lost everything.

Blaming Trump for it is weak as hell.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: walkinghomer

Sparky?

I have fiends in that fire. They've lost everything.

Blaming Trump for it is weak as hell.

Trump is the one who jumped in it.

Blame Trump for Trump.

link   
Dp
edit on 10-11-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Phage

California seems to be doing quite well on the whole, actually.

I'm sure the families of the 23 killed in CA wildfires agree with you...not.

link   

Thank you. That was extremely clear and educational.

link   

Do you understand the phrase "on the whole?"

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal
In a tweet earlier today Trump had this to say:

There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!

Trumps Twitter

Trump’s claim that the wildfires are due to forest mismanagement has been rebuffed by multiple firefighting organizations.

The presidents of two professional firefighters associations have denounced President Donald Trump's assertion that "gross mismanagement of the forests" is to blame.

Additionally this isn’t the first time that Trump has made up fraudulent reasons for the wildfires in California. Earlier he blamed the fires on bad environmental laws without ever pointing out what those laws were and that water was being diverted to the ocean. There has never been any proof of either of those claims by Trump.

Welcome to America where out President just makes up crap and his supporters believe all the crap he makes up.

Link

I am glad you Keep up with his every tweet and inform everyone.
I had no idea he felt this way.
It burns you up his opinion counts and yours does not?
Quick question for you, which branch of govt controls funding?

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

No.

Wrong so often.

The person (s) who started the fire are responsible.

The state reps who don't know # and provided the kindling are responsible.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So, I have been reading all the links, and additional information I've found on the web.

They have known about this problem for years. Long before Trump took office.
So, regardless if you like Trump, or hate him, this is on the state of California. NOBODY ELSE!

I'm sorry for the lives lost.
This could have been avoided.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join