It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Make Up Crap threatens to pull Federal Funding from California Wildfires

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

I will say, there really is no black & white.

ALL / EVERYTHING is important to some degree and need consideration.

Environmental factors can not be dismissed because someone doesn't like it.

But, the need for forest maintenance can not be dismissed either.

Priorities (for ALL) have to be considered AND implemented (not just talked about).

Funding, of course, is crucial.

Funding has been pulled or not acted upon in the past. I think it was Bush W's first term. There was a huge forest fire(s) in the NW. I think he reinstated the funding after in 2002. Anyway, the forest funding debate at the time made headlines.

edit on 18-11-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I get it amy...there is definitely a place for conservation, but these extremists that sue at the drop of a hat have made this problem worse....But I know you don't want it to swing to the other extreme where there is no conservation.....we need a balance for sure.

does anyone think the extremists who keep filing these frivolous suits that have made this problem a lot worse should they be billed for these fires??

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
A fiery balled ET foo fighter can land and still not cause the fire to spread, other than the diameter of the starship itself. Therefore...I'm speculating that a foo fighter can stall or stop a mega fire from spreading, in some way or form of technology that the human race on our planet has yet to learn about.

As for President Trump...his threat of stopping funds is probably a ruse to harvest the rest of the mature redwood forests in California.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

I am also glad to see both state and Federal authorities working together.

Also, I wasn't aware there was a prolonged drought, at least one outside of normal conditions for the area. I may be mistaken on that; it is a question, not a statement. In Alabama, I can make a statement on whether or not any drought is outside of norms, but in California not so much.

If there is a drought outside of the norms, that is the definition of climate change... just not the definition of Global Warming. Climate does change over time, sometimes rapidly. The best we can do is adapt and try to help other species do so.

since this problem is so bad ( and (I agree that it is) do we not need everything at our disposal that will help solve this problem including the federal money for federal lands??

Absolutely, and I believe Trump does as well. The tweet that started this whole thing was not a threat to withhold needed funds, but wasted funds. There is a difference.

Here's hoping we can all pull together on this. I never again want to see fires of this magnitude hitting Americans, no matter what state they're in.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86
A fiery balled ET foo fighter can land and still not cause the fire to spread, other than the diameter of the starship itself. Therefore...I'm speculating that a foo fighter can stall or stop a mega fire from spreading, in some way or form of technology that the human race on our planet has yet to learn about.

As for President Trump...his threat of stopping funds is probably a ruse to harvest the rest of the mature redwood forests in California.

I don't think that It's President Trump who's interested in harvesting California man, just check out the history of that place.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MrPopularity

they are working together on this ....let;s see what happens that's all we can do let's give them the chance to fix this...then we can come back and commet after we see what happens that is fair for everyone

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

I get it amy...there is definitely a place for conservation, but these extremists that sue at the drop of a hat have made this problem worse....But I know you don't want it to swing to the other extreme where there is no conservation.....we need a balance for sure.

does anyone think the extremists who keep filing these frivolous suits that have made this problem a lot worse should they be billed for these fires??

Environmentalism is important. It can't be denied. Can't even imagine our air quality without environmentalists. Which, of course, is not trees -- but, I'm old enough to remember this same fight about smog emissions.

How do you define extremism? Where do you find the balance? Where do you draw the line? Who has the right to decide?

I do remember the NW fire and the funding that was denied was about tree thinning. That one was about maintenance. Clearing the brush, etc.

(Just so ya know, I think of the world as a connected whole. So, my views tend to be broader than just one area)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
All we can roughly expect what's in store for the near future...is more mega fires in places that suffer from drought, possibly as a result from human caused climate change.

I live in Maryland, where human caused climate change seems to have caused the opposite effect; by bringing about major floods from mega rain conditions. Maryland has just broke the all-time (since 1871) rain total accumulation record; and the year's not over yet.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Environmentalism is important. It can't be denied. Can't even imagine our air quality without environmentalists. Which, of course, is not trees -- but, I'm old enough to remember this same fight about smog emissions.

I urge you to remember that not all environmentalists write articles and make political speeches at conventions. Some of us are busy just managing our own tracts of land, barely managing to post our views on an Internet forum. And it's been my experience that these people, of which I am proud to count myself among, are usually the ones actually doing the most good.

Those who can do, do. Those that can't do, try to tell others to do.

How do you define extremism? Where do you find the balance? Where do you draw the line? Who has the right to decide?

We all do. But we must do so in a way that invites all to participate. That means at least listening to and considering the opinions of others who see things differently before dismissing them.

Even if they don't agree with us.

Especially if they don't agree with us.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yes, I actually do read

Not everything is opinion

Despite what Trump says, Finland fires are totally different from California fires

www.latimes.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Yes, I actually do read

Despite what Trump says, Finland fires are totally different from California fires

www.latimes.com...

This isnt a new problem for california. Do ti forest mismanagement its been going on for years now. Used to be forest fires were rare now they happen every year. As the governor said its the new norm.

www.flashreport.org...

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Do ti forest mismanagement its been going on for years now.

These aren't really forest fires, as such. Shrublands. No logging here. These homes are not in that kind of forest.

The Malibu fire is occurring in the chaparral-type ground cover that is characteristic of the California coastal hills (where I live) and the Camp Fire is occurring in the Oak scrub and grassland type of cover that is characteristic of the low Sierra foothills. Here is a pointer to the CALFIRE incident map:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

3. Being dense, impenetrable, and prone to infrequent, large, high-intensity wildfires is the natural condition of chaparral. It's not the fault of past fire suppression, poor land management, "unnatural" amounts of vegetation, or environmental laws as some claim.

4. The age and density of chaparral has little to do with the occurrence of such large fires. Large fires in California shrublands are driven primarily by weather, such as Santa Ana winds, sundowner winds, and multi-year droughts.

The paradigm that has been repeated over and over is that fire suppression has caused an unnatural overabundance of vegetation, creating dangerous levels of "fuel" in California's wildlands. While this may be an accurate description for some forests, such as dry ponderosa pine forests in the Southwest, it is not true for California chaparral.

www.californiachaparral.com...

edit on 11/18/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I saw more homes on fire than forest.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrPopularity
I saw more homes on fire than forest.

Exactly. These were mostly brush and structural fires.

Malibu is mostly chaparral.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Yes, I actually do read

www.latimes.com...

This isnt a new problem for california. Do ti forest mismanagement its been going on for years now. Used to be forest fires were rare now they happen every year. As the governor said its the new norm.

www.flashreport.org...

I'm a born and bred Californian.

Brush fires have always been an issue.

We're always in drought conditions.

The wind is the really scary part.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes, about the only thing they can do (and they do) in low shrub areas is fire breaks and keep debris away from structures.

But, that wind? Nothing stops Fire in high winds.

Ahhhh, but did you read about the
private fire fighters?

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Yes, about the only thing they can do (and they do) in low shrub areas is fire breaks and keep debris away from structures.

private fire fighters?

One other problem is california banned the use of flame retardants. Meaning stuff in peoples houses are easier to ignite and burn hotter. Used to be exterior housing was required to use flame retardant materials. Meaning flames are easier to spread from one building to another. Also why you had some burn down and others did not.

California needs to start addressing the issues as there are multiple factors involved and yes the wind us one of them. But there is others that can do something about. Another big one let loggers thin out forest's. Someone camping should not mean thousands of homeless.
edit on 11/18/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

private fire fighters?

One other problem is california banned the use of flame retardants. Meaning stuff in peoples houses are easier to ignite and burn hotter. Used to be exterior housing was required to use flame retardant materials. Meaning flames are easier to spread from one building to another. Also why you had some burn down and others did not.

California needs to start addressing the issues as there are multiple factors involved and yes the wind us one of them. But there is others that can do something about. Another big one let loggers thin out forest's. Someone camping should not mean thousands of homeless.

Toxins end up in our water

Not all retardants are toxic.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

One other problem is california banned the use of flame retardants.
Not all. Just some in particular. The toxic ones.
osfm.fire.ca.gov...

Used to be exterior housing was required to use flame retardant materials.

Why do you keep making stuff up?
osfm.fire.ca.gov...

edit on 11/18/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join